doombox

10 Worst Disbandments of 2016

I can for sure say that I will never get over giru's disbandment, especially because I never got the chance to attend a concert of the band that introduced me to VK -not to mention that they're my favorite band and helped me go through so much shit back then. If not for them, I'd probably have gotten into VK  way later than 2008-2009 and wouldn't be as happy as I am of discovering such an amazing world.

LIN, Sel'm, SCREW and BORN were among my favorite VK bands as well. They all had tough times at some point in their career, mainly musically speaking but all of them also delivered and made me a proud listener. 

On 10/08/2017 at 9:47 PM, Seimeisen said:

While I don't think I can say it's their best song ever, it's certainly their best song since 壊れていく世界.

Wouldn't be so sure about this but 壊れていく世界 surely is their best song and one of the greatest songs to ever grace the VK scene. 

I would mention these guys:

Zin - I adored them, personally. They managed to put up really strong songs, being the only active solid band other than Kiryu that perfectly incorporated Japanese folk elements.

Tokami - enough said.

Galileo Galilei - not J-rock, but influential enough.

Velved Eden - way too iconic.

RoNo☆Cro - these guys could have become so big, but, I believe, they ran into the same situation as DIV - after releasing a couple of really strong releases in the beginning of the career, they couldn't live up to their own standards and other people's expectations.

Cardia - after Riddick disbanded, I was wondering what Gab would be up to. It's one of the few bands whose whole discography is in my library. I stan every single song of them.

Edited by zaa_zaa

40 minutes ago, zaa_zaa said:

Tokami - enough said.

I didn't mention them, because I thought they broke up at the way end of 2015 (didn't know their last live was sometime last year).

Tokami is another example of a band breaking up just when they improve. All of their 2015 releases were fantastic, breaths of fresh air. Their 2012-2014 releases were kinda stale. I think it would have been cool if they re-recorded various pre-2015 songs before calling it quits, because their vocalist improved dramatically since Luminescence. However, I'm not really mourning Tokami, because we have Schwarz Kain now, and they're pretty much picking up where Tokami left off.

On 8/13/2017 at 6:02 AM, zaa_zaa said:

Velved Eden - way too iconic.

It feels like Dada has announced he's disbanding Velvet Eden p. much every time some Russian fangirl's roasted him online though, did they actually 100%-fo-real-and-in-real-life disband this time? I can never tell when Dada's just throwing a tantrum for the umpteenth time and when things are actually serious.

Girugamesh is pretty much the only band on this list I've ever felt any true connection to. I pretty much grooved to everything up to & including MUSIC, and despite the slew of shoddy releases they released after that, their last few releases showed a pretty promising return to form. I feel like they had the potential to go even higher, but they called it quits instead. Disappointing, but I guess it can't be helped. They had a pretty good run with a couple of absolute bangers. They also looked like they were absolutely amazing live.

For some reason I genuinely thought Screw and DuelJewel both disbanded  back in like 2012 or something already. I appreciate the fact DuelJewel managed to stick around for as long as they have, but it feels like they truly were the kings of 'everyone forgets about us'-kei (at least in the west..) 

Screw often teetered that line between 'the physical incarnation of forgettability' and 'laughably bad,' tho for some reason I heavily fucked w/ that VANQUISH song back in the day. I feel like even their labels saw them as more of an afterthought than anything else, but maybe I'm getting the wrong impression.

BORN peaked when they were still known as Renny Amy imo, I never really could get into any of their later stuff.. As it stands, the only things I'll remember them for are that ridiculous kool-aid vampire look the singer rocked once & that embarrassing Stalin-666- song

Edited by Tokage

On 8/8/2017 at 10:15 PM, anadentone said:

For me, it's femme fatale.

I completely forgot that they broke up last year. I remember being pretty devastated by that as they were starting to improve when they released their album. But as they were around for only a short time (and disbanded very suddenly too) I don't really see it as being one of the worst breakups of the year.

That also makes me think of Malisend, who also broke up that year (I think??) after only being active for a short time, and they also had a huge following. For me though, they didn't really have much of an impact as Femme Fatale did.

20 minutes ago, Tokage said:

It feels like Dada has announced he's disbanding Velvet Eden p. much every time some Russian fangirl's roasted him online though, did they actually 100%-fo-real-and-in-real-life disband this time? I can never tell when Dada's just throwing a tantrum for the umpteenth time and when things are actually serious.

Pretty sure they did; Dada removed all references (besides his pics of course) of Velvet Eden, and he's been too busy with his "lolita brand" and continuing to work with Free-Will. Also, the dude's in his late 40s xD As for Chro, pretty sure that guy vanished off the face of the earth.

Then again, it's only been a year, so I'd give Dada another year or two before he gets that itch again...

He's working for Free-Will these days? I thought he used to be in cahoots with Kiwamu??? wtf how much did i miss?

2 hours ago, Tokage said:

It feels like Dada has announced he's disbanding Velvet Eden p. much every time some Russian fangirl's roasted him online though

Oh yeah, Russian fangirls are like that, believe me.

To a degree, some of them remind me of some crazy bangyas. Plus, the culture.

As for Velvet Eden's disband - Ikebukuro CYBER (12.03.2016) - that was their last live.

On 8/14/2017 at 2:50 AM, Tokage said:

He's working for Free-Will these days? I thought he used to be in cahoots with Kiwamu??? wtf how much did i miss?

Dada has been working for Free-Will for at least the past 12 years as a graphic designer/illustrator. He did a bunch of DEG tour shirt designs during the mid to late 2000s.