FLCL, the classic six-episode anime, is returning for two more seasons, thanks to Cartoon Network. The cable channel is collaborating with original studio Production I.G. on 12 new episodes that will air on Adult Swim's Toonami block, according to a press release.

The revival will serve as a direct sequel set years after the distinctive sci-fi comedy, which wrapped in Japan back in 2001. The company offered a few details about what to expect in the coming episodes:

In the new season of FLCL, many years have passed since Naota and Haruhara Haruko shared their adventure together. Meanwhile, the war between the two entities known as Medical Mechanica and Fraternity rages across the galaxy. Enter Hidomi, a young teenaged girl who believes there is nothing amazing to expect from her average life, until one day when a new teacher named Haruko arrives at her school. Soon enough, Medical Mechanica is attacking her town and Hidomi discovers a secret within her that could save everyone, a secret that only Haruko can unlock.

Along with the returning characters, staff members from the first season will come back to work on the new episodes, the company said; that includes creator Kazuya Tsurumaki.

Despite only lasting six episodes, Production I.G. and co-producer Gainax's original series quickly developed a cult following. Toonami has since ran and re-ran FLCL (pronounced "Fooly Cooly") in English for stateside audiences several times over the past 15 years.

While the Saturday night Toonami block typically airs licensed properties, it's worked with Production I.G. to develop original series in the past. 26 episodes of IGPX, an original anime produced with Cartoon Network, aired in 2005.

I'm freaking out

tumblr_nricwkS1UW1snl0oro1_500.gif

Oh crap not you too lol

I really hope they don't fuck this up.

I value this anime more than no other (can't you tell by my avatar?), and hope that the creator and his team can bring back to originality and magic that once set the atmosphere for future anime.

I'm angry/worried in short.

Oh crap not you too lol

I really hope they don't fuck this up.

I value this anime more than no other (can't you tell by my avatar?), and hope that the creator and his team can bring back to originality and magic that once set the atmosphere for future anime.

I'm angry/worried in short.

I really want them to pick up where they actually left off, like with Naota, that ending left so much more to be desired like agh i'm worried too, but I'm excited because I thought this would never continue.

I really wish that happened too. They should've done an OVA at least, as a special or something. That would've been nice.

I'm glad they're not tossing out the original characters entirely (there would be riots lol), but the new main character better not be any more chipper and gleeful than Naota. I felt Naota's attitude in the world, and how he viewed his life. set most of the theme for the anime, and it related to a lot of kids during that time (at least it did to me anyway....).

I really wish that happened too. They should've done an OVA at least, as a special or something. That would've been nice.

I'm glad they're not tossing out the original characters entirely (there would be riots lol), but the new main character better not be any more chipper and gleeful than Naota. I felt Naota's attitude in the world, and how he viewed his life. set most of the theme for the anime, and it related to a lot of kids during that time (at least it did to me anyway....).

I hope Naota re-appears at one point in this revival, it kinda sucks the way things went out with Mamimi and Haruko leaving and Naota just being there alone, what happened to the guitar he had, I even want to see Naota's brother. Like cmon....Please don't ruin this series...

NO ''KAWAII UGUU'' MOE-SHIT IN THE NEW STUFF PLEASE, please Anime Jesus..... Don't ruin FLCL with everything that's wrong with modern-day anime....

I was contemplating whether they'd be able to get the Pillows to make the soundtrack to the series once more (they are VERY expensive to hire, and they're on tour to boot), but this tweet just saved my life.

It also reassures me that the original voice cast will be used too. Yes, Please don't fuck this up Toonami.

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/713154411254538240

NO ''KAWAII UGUU'' MOE-SHIT IN THE NEW STUFF PLEASE, please Anime Jesus..... Don't ruin FLCL with everything that's wrong with modern-day anime....

I was contemplating whether they'd be able to get the Pillows to make the soundtrack to the series once more (they are VERY expensive to hire, and they're on tour to boot), but this tweet just saved my life.

It also reassures me that the original voice cast ill be used too. Yes, Please don't fuck this up Toonami.

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/713154411254538240

All of this

yeah... I'm pretty iffy on this whole thing honestly.

The one thing that has me hopeful is the fact that they have a lot of the original team working on it including the creator and the voice actors from the original, not to mention the pillows are coming back for the soundtrack...

I'm glad that it's not picking up directly after end of the original actually.... the original is what I consider to be a perfect OVA and the ending is fine the way it is. so I'm extremely happy to hear this will take place far into the future and that it has a new main character and all that stuff,  at least that way it will make it easier to say fuck this if/when they fuck it up xD

Still not too keen on the idea of returning characters though... gah! I just kinda wish this wasn't a thing and they would just leave FLCL alone XD

Even though I've never watched FLCL (which I really should at this point), there was such a shitstorm on the internet when this news came out.

Curious to see what happens.

WTF ARE YOU WAITING FOR? LOL

GO WATCH IT!

I watched FLCL and had no idea wtf was going on. At all. (and, wow, completely did not realize where YuyoDrift's avatar was from)

It didn't help that I was super distracted by the soundtrack featuring the pillows. I was enchanted and had to download those songs.. which is one of the reasons I am here in a Japanese music forum today.

.. I see the pillows will be back, but honestly I haven't found much value in anything they've released in the past 10 years. hmm.

.. I see the pillows will be back, but honestly I haven't found much value in anything they've released in the past 10 years. hmm.

The thing is they don't necessary have to use any of their material from the last decade, they could possibly pull any song from their entire 25 year career to use for the show and even use some songs from the original anime if they wanted to as well... it really just depends how they want to spin it. I'm gonna guess that they will use some songs from the original FLCL and pull some good ones from their catalog as well. We might also get a brand new song made just for the show too, strong possibility.

I watched FLCL and had no idea wtf was going on. At all. (and, wow, completely did not realize where YuyoDrift's avatar was from)

It didn't help that I was super distracted by the soundtrack featuring the pillows. I was enchanted and had to download those songs.. which is one of the reasons I am here in a Japanese music forum today.

You and I are over.

I thought you knew me.

No but seriously. 

I'm glad that it's not picking up directly after end of the original actually.... the original is what I consider to be a perfect OVA and the ending is fine the way it is. so I'm extremely happy to hear this will take place far into the future and that it has a new main character and all that stuff,  at least that way it will make it easier to say fuck this if/when they fuck it up xD

This. 

Nah I kid peffy we still on.

FLCL was a big part of my high school years. So much that "Furik", my internet alias I've always used on like every website ever, came from "Furikuri". It's a treasure to me. From the slapstick comedy to the fantastic music.

I don't see how they could make two more seasons unless they'll end up like side stories that involve new characters but have at it, I guess. Especially since their plan is to get the Pillows involved.

Wu1hugl.jpg

Naota Nandaba is an ordinary sixth grader living in a city where nothing amazing ever seems to happen. After his brother Tasuku leaves town to play baseball in America, Naota takes it upon himself to look after everything Tasuku left behind—from his top bunk bed to his ex-girlfriend Mamimi Samejima, who hasn't stopped clinging to Naota since Tasuku left. 

Little does Naota know, however, that his mundane existence is on the verge of being changed forever: enter Haruko Haruhara, a Vespa-riding, bass guitar-wielding, pink-haired psychopath whose first encounter with Naota leaves him with tire tracks on his back and a giant horn on his head. Though all he wants is some peace and quiet, when Haruko takes up residence at his parents' home, Naota finds himself dragged into the heart of the greatest battle for supremacy that Earth—and quite possibly the entire universe—has ever seen.

source: MAL

Arguably one of the most insane and stylistic classics, both in terms of action and storytelling. It's a weird spin on your typical coming-of-age story by the sadly defunct studio GAINAX.

Now, supposedly funded by Adult Swim we have a sequel coming out sixteen years after the original.

Discuss your thoughts on the original, sequel, theories, etc!

I remember watching this back in the day on adult swim... good times, good times. The silly, yet fluid animation and the crude humor makes it stick out from all the other anime I used to watch. A great classic~

Haha fucking @Platy, you actually posted this.

I've actually been keeping an eye on this news for years.

Rumors have always been going around that another season was in the works, and that the demand for one was at an all time high.

The problem was getting all the same art designers, and production studio, as well as the ever so busy PILLOWS on board for a reunion of sorts.

The first thing I said when I saw the trailer was "..... these fuckers actually managed to get the Pillows on board for this? HOLY SHIT!"

It was actually the make it/break it for almost every hardcore anime fan of the series. No one can bring the magic back like they can.

As for the potential of the new seasons, that's hard to guess.

Its going be about 15 years since the debut of the iconic anime that helped start (or restart, if you were a hardcore Sailor Moon fan) the anime wave here in the USA.

I'm all for it.

I'm more interested in how they are going to tie in the last adventure and the new one together, or if the entire thing is scrapped, and this is an alternate timeline.

From what the trailer shows, it caters too much to the hardcore Otakus, but that was the crowd pushing for it in the first place, so its like a commitment to them.

As long as the theme and the overall feel of the anime and story go hand and hand, then I say that I will enjoy it.

My all time favorite anime. Totally psyched for the next two seasons. I remember actually being around when it first came out on Adult Swim. I was only 8 at the time, so I didn't get it at all, but I loved the colors and music lol. But the news of FLCL's official comeback is probably the best news of the year to me. Can't waiiit.

1 hour ago, YuyoDrift said:

Agh! wtf bros! Nobody told me!

https://www.avclub.com/adult-swim-celebrates-this-years-april-fools-by-running-1824238556

Now I have to look for this damn episode lol

yeah I heard something about this... I think I can just wait though XD