yakihiko

RAZOR

RAZOR is a band that started activities during October 2016. The band is currently supported by Timely Records.

DiEkjaUUwAE90om.jpg

Spoiler

Vocal: 猟牙 (Ryoga) (ex.BLUEチョコレヱト, ex.RENNY AMY, ex.D&L, ex.BORN)

DFQqVrkUQAAAgFY.jpg 

Guitar: 剣 (Tsurugi) (ex.azure, ex.Sadie)

DE71wnmUMAArioL.jpg

Guitar: 衍龍(Kouryu) (ex.DOPES., ex.My BACTERIA HEAT IsLAND)

C1u70ncVQAA_zBO.jpg

Bass: IZA (ex.シリアル⇔NUMBER, ex.DOWNER)

Cv8hXedUMAAfzKV.jpg

Drums: 哲也(Tetsuya) (ex.羅刹, ex.SKULL, ex.My BACTERIA HEAT IsLAND)

C3ViNr3UcAMOw4_.jpg

Albums:

RED INVISIBLE (mini album) (2016.11.30)

CyZzOMyUAAAtaDY.jpg

01.ANOTHER

02.PRIMARY

03.ギブミー不気味 (Give me Bukimi)

04.埋葬 (Maisou)

05.MISSING PIECE

06.RED ZONE

DVD content: RED ZONE MV

the CORE (mini album) (2017.11.22)

DPEJ33hUQAAPRK_.jpg

01.the CORE

02.ROAD

03.消えない痛み (Kienai Itami)

04.イノセンス (Innocence)

05.Labyrinth

06.君は今も鮮やかに (Kimi wa Ima mo Azayaka ni)

07.その後の世界 (Sonogo no Sekai)

DVD content: 消えない痛み MV

Singles:

DNA (1st single) (2017.02.22)

C3JDCkxUYAAzMzP.jpgC3JDEq9VMAA60Ew.jpg

01.DNA

02.嫌、嫌、嫌。 (iya, iya, iya)

03.ネイキッド (Naked) (Available only on Regular Edition)

DVD content: DNA MV (Available only on Limited Edition)

LIQUID VAIN (2nd single) (2017.08.02)

DGRybQqVYAALKZS.jpgDGOxFWhXsAIMATl.jpg

01.LIQUID VAIN

02.邪崩 (Jakuzure/Evil)

03.ADAMZ (Available only on Regular Edition)

DVD content: LIQUID VAIN MV (Available only on Limited Edition)

BRILLIANT (3nd single) (2018.05.09)

Dcu4zfxUwAAl5VQ.jpgDcu4yTJWAAEiZ-Y.jpg

01.BRILLIANT

02.HONEY

03.PINOCCHIO (Available only on Regular Edition)

DVD content: BRILLIANT MV (Available only on Limited Edition)

紅く散らばる華 (4rd single) (2018.07.27)

Di294pPUwAAJaPB.jpgDi294ovUwAEpp9d.jpg

01.紅く散らばる華 (Akaku chirabaru hana)

02.Sorrow Rain

03.あじさい (Ajisai) (Available only on Regular Edition)

DVD content: 紅く散らばる華 (Available only on Limited Edition)

List of songs that are played on lives that are still unreleased:

CHEGE・BARA

MIND CIRCUS

NEW ANSWER

SPIDER SPIDER

クランチ

さよなら

マーケティング

ピサロ

What are your thoughts about the band and their songs?

Edited by yakihiko

Their first release was amazing. I could clearly hear how much Koryu and Tetsuya brought music-wise, Tsurugi added a lot as well on top of that.

The other two.... The title songs are kinda weird, which is not the main problem. The b-sides are so vanilla, that a thought appeared that they do them purely to please their female fans.

And there's zero-to-none of elements that made their first release to stand out in the world of visual-kei.

Their output has been a bit hit & miss for me, but they've definitely got my attention, so I'm keeping an eye on them.

I like LIQUID VAIN, but those harsh vocals kinda ruin it for me. Really diggin the melodic-punk vibes on 邪崩 tho,

35 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

Their output has been a bit hit & miss for me, but they've definitely got my attention, so I'm keeping an eye on them.

I like LIQUID VAIN, but those harsh vocals kinda ruin it for me. Really diggin the melodic-punk vibes on 邪崩 tho,

I agree but I haven't fully hated a release. There's always been at least one song I can vibe with so I'll stay on board a bit more n see wats up

Their first mini blew me away since I didn't have particularly high expectations for them. Then I went to their first oneman tour final in January and it was one of the most fun lives I've been to in a while. The unreleased songs sounded pretty good too. 

I enjoyed the DNA single, and the Liquid Vain one a little less, but credit where credit is due, at least they're consistently making new material even with existing songs in reserve. Maybe this means a full album before the year is out?

On 8/5/2017 at 7:40 PM, CAT5 said:

I like LIQUID VAIN, but those harsh vocals kinda ruin it for me.

Its a bit expected from the vocalist if you look at his previous works mostly ex-born related. My opinion if you like born your probably gonna like razor too but there has been some people who are a bit split in that field between born and razor. Most like born and razor some just like born and have disagreements with razor but still like it. Overall a solid band id just like to see them not use monotone tho :/ 

On 8/9/2017 at 11:57 PM, doomsoul136 said:

Its a bit expected from the vocalist if you look at his previous works mostly ex-born related. My opinion if you like born your probably gonna like razor too but there has been some people who are a bit split in that field between born and razor. Most like born and razor some just like born and have disagreements with razor but still like it. Overall a solid band id just like to see them not use monotone tho :/ 

I don't mind harsh vocals in general, but in LIQUID VAIN, they sound pretty sloppy. I've never actually given BORN a proper listen, btw.

5 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

I don't mind harsh vocals in general, but in LIQUID VAIN, they sound pretty sloppy. I've never actually given BORN a proper listen, btw.

I have to agree a bit thats one of the things im starting to dislike about ryuogas works now he would but a random part in a song that doesn't even fit and it would just kill it. He does it in some songs rarely but still there. Also you should honestly born was amazing one of the most iconic works he has. Whenever you get the chance it is worth it. I suggest "Independence Black" unless you wanna start from the beginning up to you.

You can add "RAZOR's" version of "secret base ~君がくれたもの~" Original by "ZONE" to the List of songs that are played on lives that are still unreleased:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXunzShAuIY

And here's a yt rip : https://mega.nz/#!AzJmVQAb!auZvGg7rhMUoNbQFoBkHYPsVdoGaQFdjafCZ5zWaQyw

Edit: Also I found this unreleased song on a set list too "mind circus": http://nabi816.hateblo.jp/entry/2016/12/01/213148

Also "the CORE's" album art:

Spoiler

284746thecore.png

Edited by sume7

Road > everything born ever released so fuck born them. Also Ryoga's uncleans has become a bit more tolable in this band (it was so bad in born). I want more songs like road. His singing as well is nice. But overall this band is a flop too. They're another band that had potential but decided to do garbage.

If I may throw in my five cents here...

I have followed Ryoga since BORN were just a tiny indie band, where I saw them from the back of a tiny venue. They were the last band on stage, and I didn't pay them much attention, but I did notice that they got the crowd moving. Since then I started seeing them, first at events, and later I went for them specifically. Because my first impression was correct.

Ryoga may not be the best vocalist in the world - BORN was messy and RAZOR isn't much different, and his vocals certainly doesn't make it any better, but it serves its purpose: Their lives are super fun. Messy, sweaty and crazy. I have followed Ryoga into RAZOR because of the energy he brings into lives. He gives it 120% and that energy just pours over the edge of the stage. And if it doesn't he will force feed it to ou and shove it down your throat. 

They are a live band first and foremost, and a great one if you like a goodhearted abare band <3 

All that said, has anyone gotten their hands on the new single, 「紅く散らばる華」yet? :D

On 7/26/2018 at 12:26 PM, Tokyovisualife said:

I have followed Ryoga since BORN were just a tiny indie band, where I saw them from the back of a tiny venue. They were the last band on stage, and I didn't pay them much attention, but I did notice that they got the crowd moving. Since then I started seeing them, first at events, and later I went for them specifically. Because my first impression was correct.

Ryoga may not be the best vocalist in the world - BORN was messy and RAZOR isn't much different, and his vocals certainly doesn't make it any better, but it serves its purpose: Their lives are super fun. Messy, sweaty and crazy. I have followed Ryoga into RAZOR because of the energy he brings into lives. He gives it 120% and that energy just pours over the edge of the stage. And if it doesn't he will force feed it to ou and shove it down your throat. 

They are a live band first and foremost, and a great one if you like a goodhearted abare band ❤️

All that said, has anyone gotten their hands on the new single, 「紅く散らばる華」yet? :D

I've been very excited about RAZOR, I didn't follow BORN that much but I thought it was ok.. however, I find RAZOR totally amazing and I would love to see them release some concert footage in DVD or something. I ordered the new single, it should arrive on tuesday.. I will post my thoughts then :)

On 7/30/2018 at 7:52 AM, deedlitmurata said:

I've been very excited about RAZOR, I didn't follow BORN that much but I thought it was ok.. however, I find RAZOR totally amazing and I would love to see them release some concert footage in DVD or something. I ordered the new single, it should arrive on tuesday.. I will post my thoughts then :)

Hopefully their DVDs will be better than BORN's - those tended to be rather poor quality, so I don't blame you for not liking them much if you've never gone xD I shall keep my eyes put for kameras xD Do you follow them on twitter? Ryouga especially posts rather long clips quite often 😀

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! I won't get it until I get back in a few months, unless someone puts it up online before that 😑

Honestly one of the best bands in my book really shined and it shows the singers true colors although i always end up listening to born right after there songs because nothing can really emulate what born dished out

Definitely my favourite VK band since I came across RED INVISIBLE, I'll never forget how shaken I was when I first heard ギブミー不気味. 
I'm probably biased since I was a huuuuge BORN fan (felony is a top 10 track of all time haha). I do find that I prefer RAZOR. 

Ryouga's voice is definitely one of my favourites of all time and the guitar work in RAZOR is way more interesting than BORN's. (邪崩 is delicious holy shite).

(I feel like any BORN song could be learned by ear in almost one listen, save for Kifumi's godly bass work. Tsurugi and Kouryu on the other hand have some riffs that have been throwing me for a loop or sure i.e. PINOCCHIO, SORROW RAIN.) 
I've loved all their releases thus far and I'm gonna catch them live August 12th at NEW SIDE BEACH in Yokohama. 

Perfect way to end Summer break. 

On 7/27/2018 at 3:26 AM, Tokyovisualife said:

They are a live band first and foremost, and a great one if you like a goodhearted abare band ❤️

Okay, so aside from agreeing with everything you said... I loved RAZOR from the moment I heard RED INVISIBLE. ギブミー 不気 味 completely blew me away and remains one of my favourite songs, well ever. Musically, with the exception of a few standard/medicore singles (which I still like!) their songs can be so creative an interesting and melodic just, I have nothing but love for this band. And live, they were better than I possibly could have imagined. Super tight, minimal use of tracks and honestly Ryoga's stage presence was unlike ANYTHING I have ever seen. He made other, perfectly great vocalists who were better technically pale after taking the stage that night (Yoshihatsu of DADAROMA was anticlimactic after Ryoga, and I love DADAROMA!). I have NEVER seen anyone work a crowd like that, or put so much of themself physically into a performance. It was so dynamic! In short, yeah they have some misses but check out their b-sides and if you have the chance to see them live, do!!! (And that's saying nothing about their aesthetic, which imo, is always on point!)

As for their latest release, it came in the mail today! Along with a double sided plastic RAZOR folder of some kind, thanks for that random freebie CD Japan! Unsurprisingly, love the songs so much. I think 紅く散らばる華 is possibly their strongest single so far, and Sorrow Rain is going to be on repeat for days. (Not a detailed analysis but I have only listened once so far xD) I'd love hear what others think of this release!

Sidenote: On every instagram post Ryoga seems to put "it's spring, isn't it?', does anyone know what this actually means? So curious.

They are great!
But 邪崩 should be read as Jakuzure.
It was confirmed in interview, but I am too lazy to find it.
This song is named Jakuzure on iTunes as well.

Man Knot Invisible is probably the least heavy thing these guys have done so far but I'm somehow absolutely in love with it, especially with a song as cheesy and very engrish as Disclosure. 

On 12/21/2018 at 4:44 PM, chipathy said:

I wonder what sound they're gonna have following what theyve done with knot invisible, I'd be kind of down with something more heavy but I dont think that's the direction they're going into

I agree Knot invisible is not heavy at all, and that is not a bad thing, I think it has the perfect balance, it's a great EP; this band will bring great things, I'm sure; so I hope we get the album release soon 😃 and maybe some concert DVD

I was just introduced to them today. BRILLIANT is great and their look was killer in the PV. Ugh a lot of great bands are going to make me poor this year no doubt.

Edited by Paraph