Takadanobabaalien

グリーヴァ (Grieva) to disband

I would like to know how?

I feel bad but idk i expected it a little due to some of there recent releases

This band really did fall off the wagon. I remember jocking them hard a few years ago and then my attention drifted elsewhere and the boys were never able to pull it back. Seconding comments that they also ran out of good Dir en grey to emulate. There are a ton of 90's bands like La'cryma Christi or GRASS that they could have lifted some tracks from when they felt low on inspiration, but they really only wanted to emulate GAUZE-era Dir en grey. Which is cool, but didn't work out too well for them in the long run. I suppose they reached that wall Dir en grey did after Kisou where it's "innovate or die" and these guys chose to die instead.

This is a shock. I know the usually prolific band have been a bit light (and lacklustre) on releases lately but I wasn't expecting a disbandment.

I hope the full version (with vocals) of こんな壊れた世界で・・・ makes it onto the best album, it's one of my favourite tracks from them but only the instrumental version has seen an official release.

10 hours ago, Komorebi said:

Holy shit, I did not see this coming. I though they were fairly popular in the current scene. 

Have they given any reasons yet?

Nop, they don't sell at all.

Actually the only one Ains band that sells well here is DIAURA

I think the main problem for these old school revival bands to me are the vocals. both La'veil Mizeria and Grieva have average vocals imo. Kyouki had a decent scream but he seemed to have a limited singing range. Though I guess the same could be said for bands like Madeth Gray'll and their vocalist hisui.

Edited by lichtlune

I never expected them to last this long to begin with. And in light of their best of announcement and the state of their music for a good while now,  I can't say this is terribly surprising. I still enjoyed their stuff now and then even while being painfully aware of their stagnation, courtesy of simply having a soft spot for that kind of sound. And there was always a faint hope that they'll maybe aim higher. I even managed to find some enjoyment in their last album eventually, but some of those tracks indeed sound like they couldn't be bothered with them, so they  just phoned them in and called it a day. It's sad to see one of the pillars of old school revival go, but it does make sense.

Thanks for the fun time! [2]

on one hand i'm kinda shocked that they are really done but on the other hand i am kinda happy at the same time cuz their last maxi single was UBER AMAZING and if they hopefully would return with a new band which plays only songs with this style or even more modern it would be too amazing! *for me at least... ;D*

I'm not surprised, but this is pretty sad. グリーヴァ was amazing live. I was lucky to see them twice. One of the shows I went to was a double-bill with ゴシップ and グリーヴァ upstaged those guys pretty hard. The difference between both bands' performances was GINORMOUS.

Edited by r...

To be frank, i'm surprised they managed to last long enough to release more than just a single full-length album in the first place. A five year run in VK is pretty exceptional in the current scene. They were pretty fucking good in the beginning, and I think I enjoyed just about all their releases to some extent up to that one big Ains va album, but after that I quickly found my interest dwindling. Their formula seemed to get stale, and they never really managed to reinvent themselves or step it up. Still kind of a shame to see them go, but I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing some of their members around again in the near future.

Anyone want to place bets on how long it'll be before Yukika sucks Gossip dry?

There has been good tracks on each of their releases, but I don't think they've been able to make anything exceptional since their initial appearance. I was blown away with stuff like Dead[en]D and couldn't get enough of the band after their first full length record, but since then their material has been kinda uninspired imo. I still like the band a lot, but with 5 years you can see the direction of the band and sometimes it's better to look for inspiration elsewhere. I hope to see these guys in another band for sure!

In my perception of things I feel like starting from 2015 their music sounded evidently uninspired and formulaic. And obviously releasing so many songs in such a short period of time doens't help in any way.

I also get the feeling that perhaps they wanted to leave the old school thing behind judging by how less old school their music was sounding lately...

[MAD]ist 4eva grieva will be missed

everyone else nailed it, i think these guys got bored of whatever they were doing and half assed everything from the VA comp onward. That said, they are all insanely talented and i didn't see any retirement messages (i hope my jp reading queens didnt fail to mention this) so i think they will split up and continue onward

im curious as to whats next though, but to see them go down as such a respected band (3k+ rts on kaisan tweet!!!) is satisfying because they were truely amazing. they have also literally gigged with everyone in the indies scene for the past 5 years so the world is their oyster i just hope they dont go corporate kei, shit djent, satsuki or oshare out of respect for themselves.

+1 on a karma + grieva unit....can u imagine the fucking yami holy shit

lineup:

vo. karma

gu. haru & roku

ba: zen

dr: yuugo

FUCCCKKKKKKKCKCKCKCKCKC

29 minutes ago, emmny said:

+1 on a karma + grieva unit....can u imagine the fucking yami holy shit

lineup:

vo. karma

gu. haru & roku