Sign in to follow this  
Karma’s Hat

Entry Level Raccoon Albums

Not hxc familiar with a lot of whiteface bands tbh. I only started listening to Metronome just a couple of months ago after years of avoiding due to hearing some later stuff of theirs, so I think here would be a good archive for beginners who've been wondering what the cool kids listen to, and what to try first. 

And speaking of which, early Metronome is SO good. I reckon they should be approached chronologically ( or via that compilation album that has been uploaded here )

Here's some stuff for starters

WHITEFACE ESSENTIALS:

Guruguru Eigakan

Wadachi (compilation of re-recorded old DT tracks)

(2000.12.12) Bonjin Hakusho 

(2000.03.04) Sakai no akasa no sei nano desu.

Inugami Circus-Dan

(2003) Kami no Inu (concept album about a religious cult trying to bring dead dadrock musicians back to life in order to fend off some apocalyptic disaster)

(2012) Osorezan (first album released after their name-change back in 2012, a move back toward a more 'angura' sound)

Strawberry Song Orchestra

(2009) Chi no Ranshou

(2010) Setsudan no Igaku

SEX-ANDROID

(2008.01.16) Ochanoma Killer

FLOPPY

(2004.12.15) s/t album

(2006.05.31) Sine Wave Orchestra

GalapagosS

(2011.04.20) Soy sauce impulse

[the rest of their stuff is kind of mediocre, explore only if you really love your beep boops]

Shinjuku Gewalt

(xxxx.xx.xx) Jitsuroku kayou taizen daiichishuu

(xxxx.xx.xx) Kaizou Tape

(2012.xx.xx) daisankai Tokyo taikai kaishi kaizokuban

Dagashi Kashi

lmao i'm not really into them cuz i can't stand the vocals 

Yeah actually to be fair you're pretty much good with everything they released, including all the weird side projects & alter-ego bands like their punk alter egos or that 1 band Amano was in together w/ some other dude where they sang about dinosaurs and shit. Most of their albums are pretty short runtime-wise as well, so they're the perfect bite size (altho i wish the albums were longer so we'd have more content lmao)

i'd go ahead and put CD音源集 on gewalt's rec list, as it combines the whole of 実録歌謡大全第弌集 (Jitsuroku kayou taizen daiichishuu) and the version ofドヤ街、味噌、女子。 from 海賊版 (Kaizokuban) with the equally essential 公式エミュレータ (Koushiki emulator)

actually tbh gewalt's released so little (well, a lot of Things, but equalling a pretty small amount of songs) you might as well cop everything to start, really (and it all rips so hard anyway)

Edited by returnal

Easiest to listen for ゲバルト newcomers i would say the whole 2009's 青年の主張 single ("Rock track", "Dance track" (as stated on the CD lol))

or just the perfection that is their 1998's 改造テープ, which features a lot of "cover" songs in a bleep fashion (e.g. バージンブルース).

Personally, i never liked 公式エミュレータ (Koushiki emulator) or 実録歌謡大全 (Jitsuroku kayou taizen) and therefore not 2011's CD音源集. They have a lot of distr. CDs in between, which might be difficult to find...check one of these:

8時だヨ!全員集合!!(アレフガルド公演Ver.1.0.2)

Isn't this just one of the best songs you ever heard? Yes? Another one here (remix tho).

Others:

COSMO-SHIKI - 2010.06.14 VIOLATOR (05. 君の太陽)

V.A. - 2002.05.24 TOGETOGETOKAGE・トゲトゲトカゲー (新宿ゲバルト, Uma, etc.)

V.A. - 2004.10.21 駄喰 (新宿ゲバルト members solo stuff included)

V.A. - 2008.07.09 東京ゲリラ (trailer)

i'm fond of 公式エミュレータ bc シグナス (plus 今だから and 玉椿) were the first SG songs i heard (mind was blown); i cooled on it a lil' since then though, but i still dig it. i'd recommend 改造テープ,  青年の主張, 新世界ゲバルト* plus the version of ドヤ街** on CD/海賊版 and クリフトクラフト2668版*** more now. depends on if you favor (1. bleepy chaos or (2. bleepy chaos with Big Choruses more, of course (i like both, but the latter wins out just a lil' more for me)

speaking of, several gewalt records have uncertain release years—改造テープ i've heard both 1998 and 2003, 公式エミュレータ 90s and 2005, etc. i don't even care, really, i love the mystery it provides, lol

* (not just because i was the one who uploaded it...) 

**the 廃2 (流行歌謡実験VER.1.0.2) is good in its own way, but this one just has the right mix of details...

***his poppy side, but blissfully dinky and recorded onto an answering machine

when we get down to it, everything those boys touch is frickin gold tho

I still firmly hold to the belief that that one Virgin Blues cover is one of the best things Shinjuku Gewalt ever did, to the point that it, along with Sayonara Tent could well serve as a 'signature song' to illustrate their overall sound/aesthetic.  Anyone else with me on this one?

12 hours ago, Tokage said:

I still firmly hold to the belief that that one Virgin Blues cover is one of the best things Shinjuku Gewalt ever did, to the point that it, along with Sayonara Tent could well serve as a 'signature song' to illustrate their overall sound/aesthetic.  Anyone else with me on this one?

Agree. The one time i saw them, they started the live with it and everyone in the audience was like marching in line. It felt like going to war, amazing.

Anyone know what is the original? Found this and this

I also wonder if anyone knows all the originals behind each song? I could find:

03. プラスチックムーン (i think the band in the video is covering another older band for which i cant find a video)

06. 虹とスニーカーの頃 (チューリップ)

07. アストロロボナナのテーマ (uses effects from this game?)

09. 世情

ps the original version for 'Ima Dakara' is a fucking J A M

Edited by Tokage

On 8/2/2017 at 3:40 PM, returnal said:

virgin blues is listed as a Togawa cover, tho it actually does originate with 野坂昭如

Whoa, I never knew. I'm listening to the Nosaka version now and it's interesting, but I still think the Togawa version is the best.

11 hours ago, gwsm said:

Whoa, I never knew. I'm listening to the Nosaka version now and it's interesting, but I still think the Togawa version is the best.

i didn't know until recently either and yeah... everything about it screams Togawa

This is a case where the cover version overshadows the original by a huge margin lol

On 2017-08-02 at 3:40 PM, returnal said:

the Robot and Lyrics translation blog notes the sources of all the covers on 改造テープ! (virgin blues is listed as a Togawa cover, tho it actually does originate with 野坂昭如; didn't know that 'til now!)

Some of that info is incorrect: SKY HIGH is actually a cover of a 1970s band called Jigsaw. 

My picks:

羅宇屋
- 桔梗

空想革命
- ベストアルバム

アム
- 東京交教曲

無恥鞭アナゴ
- 南極 / アナゴ伝WORST2 -らしからぬ あのよろし-

ピノキヲ
- 体験版CD-Rおためしっ!

ピノリュック