• "雨中遊泳" by Plastic Tree
    • "無重力" by Yeti
    • "最近じゃデパートのオリジナルソングにすら 幸せを感じるんだ" by The Mirraz
    • "あましずくとマクガフィン" by グリモア (GRIMOIRE)
    • "Bad Blood" by Acid Black Cherry
    • "Sans Toi Mamie" by Ataru Nakamura
    • Other (specify in the comments)

aMJ1pzp0.png

Greetings, MH! June felt a little slow for some of us, but nonetheless, here is our latest batch of recommended tracks!  Check them out and let us know what you think!

(We apologize if some videos aren't available due to region restrictions!)

@helcchi's Picks
"vainglory" by MEIDARA
C-qKbVgVYAE7csU.jpg

In February, a mysterious masked band released a disruptive trailer, raising speculation on whether at least the vocalist was an established member of the scene. The speculation was soon dispelled when it was revealed that the band were relative newcomers having regrouped from previously disbanded Galumia, however their music has left a lasting impression on me. "vainglory" might be the most overlooked of the three songs on MEIDARA’s debut single, with its softer sound and slower pace yet this ambitious little number doesn’t scrimp on expressiveness. With Yagami’s powerful voice, an anthemic chorus and a half-minute guitar solo, this song is fitting for an ending track as "vainglory" closes out an excellent debut on a high note.

Spoiler

"蜉蝣の夢" by FIXER

"Kagerou no Yume" by FIXER
C9OIKx4VYAEoJD_.jpg
An atmospheric ballad that is pretty in its simplicity and not often synonymous with FIXER. The 4-minute emotion-filled song features a beautiful chorus that is punctuated by discordant guitars, distorted vocals and distant screaming, emanating a sense of unrest and culminating in a soaring climax. This song would also work well unplugged, and whilst many will find it mediocre, I think it’s got enough charm earn itself a spot in a playlist for rainy days. Besides, one of the last ballads that Jey sang was the remarkable but off-tune "Dears" by RevieЯ so I’ll take it.

Spoiler

"Omelas" by JILUKA
DAGfvp_U0AEUI1q.jpg
JILUKA have upped the ante with their release of the explosive “Omelas" - faster, louder and are you kidding me. The premise of the song is possibly a nod to Ursula K. Leguin’s short fiction "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”, with the cave and caged scenery of the PV  illustrating the hidden atrocity that lies beneath the utopian city of Omelas wherein a single child must be locked away in the darkness and kept in a state of perpetual filth and misery as a social contract to maintain the city’s peace and happiness. The production quality of the PV is a feast for the eyes with outstanding cinematography while the gripping powerplay between the guitar and drums weaves an intricate auditory story that is diabolically mesmerising.

Spoiler

@emmny's Pick

"ドラマチックな恋心" by SAVAGE

"Dramatic na koigokoro" by SAVAGE

header.jpg
If you're ever curious as to what a dry month (some of us) had for June and for all of 2017...this sums it up. SAVAGE are that friend with benefits that you have known for a bit too long to give up on so you text occasionally and meet up once in a blue moon for mediocre sex but somehow it's all kind of fun and cute? That's a lie, SAVAGE are actually the herpes you get after the fact but it's kind of cool because you knew you were gonna end up with something so you might as well consider it a parting gift. In fact, SAVAGE as a strand of herpes would be like...antibiotic-resistant or something because these guys actually won't die and keep rehashing the same shit over and over. Luckily for some of us with questionable taste, it's all in good fun. I've been on a SAVAGE kick since they've been coming through with their six city oneman tour digest footage on their YT channel, quelling my curiosity for live audio from them. They sound sharp live, at least in comparison to their studio output, and threw a surprisingly solid show by the looks of it. "Dramatic..." was the track that looked especially engaging; I always heard it in the snippets and was like "hey, I should probably listen to the full track" but didn't get around to it until now. Their weirdly psychedelic take on visualcore that has taken off in the past year is in full effect here and oddly intoxicating. June was dry, but SAVAGE made it somehow worthwhile...and that's one thing I don't regret from our affair!

Spoiler

@fitear1590's Picks
"セクシーホモサピエンス" by クウチュウ戦
"Sexy Homosapiens" by Koochewsen
2iqin38.jpg
These days, Koochewsen is one band that I can truly count on. Accompanying the release of their '1st love album,' whatever that means, they released the PV for "Sexy Homosapiens." The song title should be apparent enough, but this band always keeps it entertaining and their PVs never disappoint. If I had to sum up this particular video in one phrase, I'd go with: 'bathtub guitar solos.' "Sexy Homosapiens" is a fine and prog-alicious introduction to Koochewsen's wacky world, so do yourself a favor and try them out.

Spoiler

"ラビリンス" by MONDO GROSSO featuring 満島ひかり
"Labyrinth" by MONDO GROSSO featuring Hikari Mitsushima
rjnjg5.jpg
Clicking around the related and recommended videos on YouTube can be a surprisingly rewarding experience. My favorite Japanese find this month comes from DJ/producer MONDO GROSSO featuring J-pop vocalist Hikari Mitsushima. The dreamy house-style beats mesh perfectly with her delicate voice. But what brings it all together for me is the gorgeous PV. Filmed in a single shot (I'm a sucker for ambitious one-takes) in Hong Kong at night, the video brilliantly captures all the vibrant lights and colors while the camera glides through an urban market and residential area. The splendid visuals all mask the fact that Hikari isn't exactly the most graceful dancer!

Spoiler

"ガブリエル" by Yeti
"Gabriel" by Yeti
24l0px3.jpg
Yeti may have built a following with their sprightly indie rock, but PV track "Gabriel" from their sixth mini album ハウル (Howl) sees the band broaching a ballad-oriented style. Call me a sap, but I'm loving it. They don't lose all their energy though, as the choruses pulse with power pop momentum. Also, since the subject of Yeti's VK status is a hot topic around these parts, let's consider a few things. With the video's church setting and the random white kid (classic VK PV tropes), as well as the song's general composition and Satoshi's quivery whispered delivery at the beginning of the third chorus, is this song a step (or at least a nod) towards their VK roots? In any case, this song is just one facet of their sonic palette (see plastic's review of "Mujuuryoku").

Spoiler

@plastic_rainbow's Picks

"See Inside" by PASSing truth DRIVE

25zjktl.jpg
PASSing truth DRIVE was a random find when I browsed through the youtube channel of a J-indie record label called 'KiliKili Villa'. The song "See Inside" comes off of their new album Ha and opens with a dizzying echo of the voice, signaling the strangeness that comes ahead. What we have here are some peculiar acoustic guitars, a funky digitized voice, an eerie saxophone and basically a mix of nujazz/trip hop and folk into one. There is also an avant-garde side to it as the video for the song showcases the aesthetics from old black and white films like 'A Trip to the Moon'. Watching the video while listening to the song is a must in order to fully experience the uncanny storytelling. The repetitive whispering of 'see inside' and the monotonous rap section generates a sense of dark horror as you watch the robotic men march without purpose. PASSing truth DRIVE have been around for years, forming in 1992 and to my surprise used to perform with the well-known punk band Eastern Youth. Despite an apparently punkier sound in their earlier years, they have decided to break away from those roots this time around into something more experimental and jazzy, which may not be for everyone but can be pleasing to the ears if you have an open mind.

Spoiler

"雨中遊泳" by Plastic Tree

"Uchuu Yuuei" by Plastic Tree

DAKqWB-VoAA8cSx.jpg
Sure enough, Plastic Tree always stay rooted to their signature sound and "Uchuu Yuuei" is like any other fruit that flourishes from that tree. In celebration of their 20th anniversary since their major debut it's not a negative thing to say that the track recycles all of their previous material because it pays homage to their pre-2010 works. Particularly, "Uchuu Yuuei" is reminiscent of "Tsumetai Hikari" and "Yuki Hotaru" as it creates a similar kind of solitude and coldness emanated from Ryutaro's mournful singing. On top of that, the emotive guitar riffs and skip of the piano immerse you into the shivering rain of loneliness, which is essentially what the ballad strives to express. Even though Plastic Tree have not done anything totally impressive in a while, the beauty and sadness of "Uchuu Yuuei" is still worth a listen. And seeing how they continue to stand vigorously even after over twenty years, Plastic Tree will surely not wither away just yet.

Spoiler

"無重力" by Yeti
"Mujuuryoku" by Yeti
24l0px3.jpg
If you thought Yeti were going to put out another mini album entirely composed of soft alternative rock, think again. Howl blesses us with two tracks that characterize a heavier sound, one of them being "Mujuuryoku". If you listen to the first few seconds you would have never thought that it was written by Yeti, who claim to be no longer involved with the VK scene. Yet, the slow and metal infused opening practically sounds like something you'd hear from a heavier VK ballad, until Satoshi's delicate vocals come in and you remember that oh wait, this is Yeti that I'm listening to. Satoshi's vocals work well against the heavy backdrop, but in a matter of 'un duex trios' the track reverts back to Yeti's soft sound and lays out a serene ballad. It was honestly a tough pick between the two heavier tracks and I recommend VK listeners, as well as all listeners, to check out "Aun" also, which unlike "Mujuuryoku" does not transition to a ballad and is more edgy. It would be great if Yeti experiment more with this heavier sound and I look forward to what they'll be putting out next.

@The Reverend's Pick

"最近じゃデパートのオリジナルソングにすら 幸せを感じるんだ" by The Mirraz

"Even the songs in the department store, can make me happy these days." by The Mirraz
mirrazbandpic.jpg?dl=1
The Mirraz have decided to dip their toes in the post-hardcore wading pool with their new single "Even the songs in the department store, can make me happy these days." The new track still features Shouhei's highly-caffeinated rapid-fire vocal delivery but tempers the energy a bit with a backdrop of slower, fuzzy melodies and purposeful yet dreamy drums and backup vocals.  There are still a lot of just *words* being yelped and sung every which way, but on this track they take on a twinge of emo-ness (see: the title) and appropriate urgency. If you're intrigued by the possibility of a punk love song filtered through the lens of At The Drive-In and The Novembers be sure to check the newest by The Mirraz.

Spoiler

@Disposable's Pick
"あましずくとマクガフィン" by グリモア
"Ama shizuku to McGuffin" by GRIMOIRE
dnowlc.jpg
How long has Grimoire been around, a year or two? Either way, you couldn't tell that by looking or listening to them. Their aesthetic concept, both musically and visually, is so sharp and defined that nobody sounds nor looks like they do and the production values are just unparalleled — and now in a very un-visual kei fashion we have an album for once. A crude description would be for you to imagine Pentagon at their most primordial, mixed in with a little bit of Mejibray (don't take that wrong, okay ) and Moran in a way that their style at its bare essence consists of brooding, stylised core riffs and RyNK's cute mischievous boy voice in a netherworld dark pastel carnival. Their signature is not being exactly lighthearted or jovial, but certainly an aversion to the heartrending blackness some of their contemporaries that might dabble in similar soundscapes and riffs in particular; it's a playful darkness that defines them. 
"あましずくとマクガフィン" stands out from the rest of their discography for a couple of reasons. It's slower paced, more inclined to rely on the atmosphere than their tracks have tended to in the past; a clear album opener within the visual kei tradition in this regard. It vaguely reminds me of similar tracks Mejibray has done, but fuck if their own style is beyond reproach at this point. What I think achieves this effect in particular is that RyNK's tone is always almost conversational, but especially in here to me he sounds like a child singing in his room next to scattered toys and posters, a visual effect further emphasised by the jingling riffs and their trademark samples of bells and the rest of it — flourishes so consistent with their aesthetic that one often doesn't even consciously catch them, because it's so comfortably ingrained into Grimoire's character. It's the music box variety of new visual kei that has once again transformed its imported riffing style seamlessly into its purposes and aesthetic vision.

Spoiler

Guest Recommendations:
@Ada Suilen's Picks
"Bad Blood" by Acid Black Cherry
30tqb12.jpg

I started to know Yasu with this project and I was literally hooked by his suggestive vocals and his unexpected versatility, making him one of the best singers around in the scene. This year for him marked an interesting achievement, as the project arrived at the tenth anniversary, and for the occasion came Acid Blood Cherry; considered a spin-off release, it can be defined in its entirety by this track, where the stronger point is the contrast between Yasu's bright vocals and screamo vocals by Tenji Nagano from Crack6, one of the many illustrious guests of the release, for a raging and unique rock track, suitable for each to hear.

"Sans Toi Mamie" by Ataru Nakamura
eq89pw.jpg

This song marks my own regret for not having listened to this singer before. Following up a blasting solo career and a brief but engaging phase with the visual kei band Decays, Ataru Nakamura releases her first mini-album, which is surely a worthy one, made of melting tones and of a gloomy depth, where this track is the peak; the powerful guitar in the background reinforces the struggling melody of this ballad, accompanied by a moving vocal interpretation, meaning that this singer will be one of my replays, and I hope even yours.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thanks for checking out our recommendations this month! And another big thanks to our guest contributor Ada Suilen! If you have any thoughts on the list, or if you have any recommendations of your own, we look forward to seeing your comments below!

omg i didn't know nakamura had a new record, i love her! and mondo grosso joint is gooooOOooOod, even if the video is a total campanella style rip

and thx for the Koochewsen tip, this is totally my thing, some sorta HINTO/Yoshida Ichiro Untouchable World kinda steez i love

also s/o grimoire always snatching

FIXER and SAVAGE got my vote.

Edit: Oh and JILUKA all 3 were great.

Edited by sume7

@emmny SAVAGE is more like having unprotected sex, sure it feels good...but is it really safe? Can I rely on this not to give me a disease? Are you clean? Are you gonna stay clean? hmmmmmm.

True shit, I didn't get back into Depain aka SAVAGE when they rebranded as savage which was kinda a mistake? From Jikase Yuudoku Dinner onwards I fell lin love with them because they sound kinda like Depain I guess? I really enjoy the synths/Harpsichord and Ryukas shitty vocals. I love them, their more up to date material has been flawless, well..not flawless but addicting. Like drugs I guess.  It's like when your dealer calls and has a new strain...you want to try it but you're hesitant to spend your money on it unless you have a nice sample of whatever Sticky Icky he says he has. LOL. They are really good though.

Edited by あなたはもう一度やった

Quick thoughts of a grumpy old man.

Scale:

Yeah

Hmm

Meh

Ugh

"vainglory" by MEIDARA

No major sins (other than that synth violin in the background, but it is pretty subtle), but feels utterly forgettable.

"蜉蝣の夢" by FIXER 

Though this track had a little bit of "I've already heard this before" syndrome going on with it, it was still pretty solid.

"Omelas" by JILUKA

I liked the chorus, but otherwise this feels like "been there, done that" metalcore.

"ドラマチックな恋心" by SAVAGE

Those vocals are abysmal.

"セクシーホモサピエンス" by クウチュウ戦 (Koochewsen)

I feel like I should like this, but the vocals just came off as annoying. Which kind of sucks, as the instrumentals were solid.

"ラビリンス" by MONDO GROSSO featuring 満島ひかり

The beat felt a little stale, but overall I enjoyed the mood.

"ガブリエル" by Yeti

Vocalist fits this style well, still doesn't make this song interesting though.

"See Inside" by PASSing truth DRIVE

This song sounds like it is out of phase. Instant fail for the terrible production that makes my head feel like it is stuck in an echo chamber or something.

"雨中遊泳" by Plastic Tree

Blocked, too lazy to view via proxy lol

"無重力" by Yeti

The heavy parts are awesome. The transition nearly ruins this song. The production also kind of sucks.

"最近じゃデパートのオリジナルソングにすら 幸せを感じるんだ" by The Mirraz

This band has never clicked for me. This changes nothing there.

"あましずくとマクガフィン" by グリモア (GRIMOIRE)

Not bad by any means, actually pretty solid, but didn't really draw me in either. I should probably like this more than I do.

"Bad Blood" by Acid Black Cherry

This was not what I was expecting. Perhaps a bit too heavy on the bleep-bloops, but an interesting mashup of sounds.

"Sans Toi Mamie" by Ataru Nakamura

Sorry, what was that? I feel asleep.

don't know why i never checked FIXER before because that track is LOVELY. maybe i'm just a sucker for ballads, but i do like the vocals too~

also, i really hope GRIMOIRE don't become poppy like Pentagon did cuz they are SLAYING

i surprisingly enjoyed the ataru nakamura track too. pianos in ballads are a huge plus for me, but man those guitars give me all sorts of feels....

lots of cool stuff here, great month guys! ^^