Sign in to follow this  
Kiyoharu is God

15-Artist D'ERLANGER Tribute Album Release 2017.9.13 + Lives

You can hear PLC's cover of "Darlin'" here, taken from last night's radio show:

If you download the app you can hear the whole thing. If not, it cuts off 3 min. after the broadcast starts, although that's still enough time to hear most of it.

Edited by jaymee

the 2 min of previews seems to have offended the sensibilities of all the people here who were d'erlanger fans from the start but i enjoyed the previews enough that it got me further interested in and kind of hooked on d'erlanger...

5 hours ago, cvltic said:

the 2 min of previews seems to have offended the sensibilities of all the people here who were d'erlanger fans from the start but i enjoyed the previews enough that it got me further interested in and kind of hooked on d'erlanger...

It's people and cover albums in general. They feel it has to sound exactly the same or they question why the thing exists... Totally missing the point.

The audio on the video sounds off. Could be the mix of the  track itself or who knows what. Kiyo and the musicians he worked with don't give the impression that they were in the same room recording. lynch. is another one that feels the same way. Hopefully it sounds better on the CD.

There's nothing wrong with covers if they do something interesting with the original or if they're done well, but the problem here (and also w/ the Plastic Tree cover album, those VK goes Disney cover albums from before, and several others) is just that half of these covers feel fucking soulless based on the samples, like the members are simply phoning it in. 

That one cover album MUCC released several years ago was VERY good on the whole. Lillies and Remains released a pretty damn good cover album a couple years back. That Japanese Loveless tribute album was pretty good. The Uchoten tribute album was solid. That one Michiro Endo tribute album was downright awesome. Those two covers Merry included as b-sides on their Gekisei single were brilliant too.. It's not like there's no such thing as a good cover / cover album. It can be done. In the case of this particular tribute album I'm simply left feeling like a lot of these bands either picked or were handed songs that just don't fit their style very well, or they just didn't care to try all that hard. 

Edited by Tokage

Those Crush compilations are another example of covers that were mostly sterile versions of the originals, though Merry's cover of Schwein no Isu was okay. 

But yeah, I don't expect a cover to be exactly the same as the original, I just want it to sound like the band gave a shit when they recorded it. 

On 9/5/2017 at 3:51 PM, Saishu said:

I bet Kaoru wasn't even in the studio for the cover of Easy Make, Easy Mark. Die probably waved him off and was like, "I got this dawg."

Lmao nah bro. This sounds like a full blown kaoru composition haha

8 minutes ago, Ro plz said:

Lmao nah bro. This sounds like a full blown kaoru composition haha

I'm saying though, Die's Cipher worship isn't a secret. 

The original version doesn't sound too far off from DEG's recent material anyway. They kind of played it safe. 

8 hours ago, Kiyoharu is God said:

lynch. is another one that feels the same way. Hopefully it sounds better on the CD.

The lynch clip sounds like your standard Lynch. sample. And when has Lynch ever had stellar production besides SINNERS?

I know the consensus is that the majority of these don't sound all that great but lets not you know....push it?

Especially when it comes to Lynch. cuz I'm ready to serve the hands for Lynch.

6 hours ago, Ro plz said:

And when has Lynch ever had stellar production besides SINNERS?

god OK i don't know enough about d'erlanger or the other bands to say anything about their arrangements or mixes from the tiny clips
but the percussion on the lynch. clip sounds way too jarringly fuckin loud?

(the song choice seems obvious for them though despite my lack of knowledge and despite some disappointment expressed earlier in the thread, since they're probably known to non-fans in japan primarily for pulse_/the "i want to fuck" song and the lewd MCs...)

52 minutes ago, cvltic said:

...they're probably known to non-fans in japan primarily for pulse_/the "i want to fuck" song and the lewd MCs...)

Whoa whoa, what have I been missing out on? Haha.

As for the previews, they're either not really captivating or sound like filler in their regular work, where I'd rather just go and listen to their better material.
Acid Android sounds good, though, anyone got track recommendations to try out?

On 9/7/2017 at 5:52 AM, Saishu said:

I'm saying though, Die's Cipher worship isn't a secret. 

The original version doesn't sound too far off from DEG's recent material anyway. They kind of played it safe. 

Probably Die since he was the only member of Dir that showed up to comment on the album.

I only went to the 9/16 live so I have no idea how Friday's went, but everyone's covers sounded a lot better live. General consensus from D'ERLANGER fans I chatted with and on Twitter seems to be that PLC's cover was best and a few D'ERLANGER fans said they cried during it.

Band set order:  lynch.→ Psycho le Cému → D'ERLANGER → D'ERLANGER feat. 清春

Setlist:

Spoiler

lynch.

1. ADORE

2. GREED

3. INVINCIBLE

4. XXX for YOU

5. MIRRORS

6. GHOST

7. UNELMA

8. GALLOWS

9. pulse_

10. EVOKE

Psycho le Cému

1. BLADE DANCE

2. Gekiai Merry-Go-Round

3. Ai no Uta

4. Nosferatu

5. one day

6. DARLIN’

7. Matenrou Chaos

8. Liberty, babies.

9. Star Train

D'ERLANGER

1. Kilmister = Old No.7

2. NOIR-D’amour

3. Harlem Queen Complex

4. Harlem Queen Romance

5. XXX for YOU

6. an aphrodisiac

7. CRAZY 4 YOU

8. Barairo no Sekai –Le monde de la rose-

D'ERLANGER feat. Kiyoharu

1. I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT YOU

2. LULLABY

3. SADISTIC EMOTION

ENCORE

La Vie en Rose

Ryo from def spiral played support bass for lynch. (which I've heard isn't a rare occurrence?) and during their set, Cipher came out to play with the band on "XXX FOR YOU". Later during PLC's set, Seela came out to perform with PLC for DARLIN'. During D'ERLANGER's set Asanao (lynch) and Tetsu had a drum "battle" and he played "XXX FOR YOU" with D'ERLANGER, and after that seek (PLC) came out to play bass on "an aphrodisiac". Kiyoharu's set with D'ERLANGER was really short, and he only sang covers (no guitar). Kyo and Kiyoharu sang together for "SADISTIC EMOTION", which I think improved it a lot... Although Kiyoharu did a great job with the other two songs so not sure why he decided to go with "SADISTIC EMOTION" for the tribute. D:

For the encore of "La Vie en Rose", Daishi, Hazuki, Kiyoharu, and Kyo all sang together. Daishi was really nervous/shy the whole time because he's a big D'ERLANGER fan boy and it was really adorable because he never acts like that. I think he felt a little intimidated by Kiyoharu, too, lol.

I was really fortunate that I was able to trade up for a saizen ticket, although I switched out with D'ERLANGER fans after PLC and went toward the back of the front section to visit with some of the other PLC girls than came (not too many of us in comparison to lynch gya) and then caught Tetsu's drum stick. It was a really good show and I was really impressed at how accommodating D'ERLANGER was to all the guest bands. Like they were just so professional, put a lot of thought into making sure everyone had a good time, and I could really see why so many other artists look up to them (besides musically). Their fans were really nice, too. Lots of gyao.

Edited by jaymee

Also! Last night PLC did a short acoustic cover of "DARLIN'" on their subscription-based Nico Nico Channel, and omg it was really good! Like... the version on the CD wasn't bad at all but I would have loved to have had this one on there instead. D: (Fortunately someone did a screen recording of it, minus the last few notes.)

Sign in to follow this