Sign in to follow this  
sads123

What app do you use to record when attending concerts?

So what app do you guys use to record when attending concerts? Sometimes the acoustics of the venue make the audio come out muffled as hell and I was wondering if there's a app that could capture the sound better. Come on, I know people do that in concerts! :P

IDK about VK shows. But I am using pocket camera for recording concerts of another genres. It is worth to invest in quality camera for that imho and they allowed it usually unless special T&C applies.

I am using Sony Cybershot RX100 IV since couple years ago. It is amazing and can record in 4K!

For my last VK shows which was MDM October last year, I was only using my iPhone 7Plus to capture image and short clips. No special apps. It is decent enough.

Oops, i forgot to emphasize recording audio only; I just put my mobile phone in my breast pocket & let it record and then enjoy myself at the gig heh. Afterwards keep the audio recording as sort of a souvenir and some turn out good, mostly due to the acoustics of the venue. 

You can get a mic that attaches to your phone. I'd recommend you get a mic that allows louder sounds, so the audio won't clip. You'll also get a clearer sound compared to the phone's regular mic. 

It also helps if you don't stand close to the speakers. But that can't always be helped. 

Be sure to look up reviews on the equipment you get though. Some mics are just crappy and only give you high end, whereas others will only give you lower end. You want something that gives you in between, and a wide range of frequencies.

Edited by AimiGen7

It's been a long time since I've done this, but when I was in Japan I'd use a Zoom H2n to record. The audio quality on that is pretty great, while not being too big to get in the way. Pair that up with some high capacity rechargeable batteries and you're good to go. I was able to record an entire 18 hour New Year's event on a single pair of batteries.

7 hours ago, Komorebi said:

Who the fuck bothers recording a concert overseas where most you can hear is people screaming....

wait, eho the fuck bothers recording concerts in the first place.

That's why you do it in Japan where the audience is nice and quiet during songs XD

I mostly did it for the same reason as sads, to have a memento of the concerts I went to that I can listen to whenever I want. Without recording concerts, we'd also miss out on all sorts of crazy 'one time only' things that would otherwise be lost to time.

8 minutes ago, Biopanda said:

That's why you do it in Japan where the audience is nice and quiet during songs XD

I mostly did it for the same reason as sads, to have a memento of the concerts I went to that I can listen to whenever I want. Without recording concerts, we'd also miss out on all sorts of crazy 'one time only' things that would otherwise be lost to time.

Didnt they say before the concerts that no recordings are allowed? (at least in the 3 lives Ive seen in Tokyo it was like that)

And I have the feeling that while doing all the recording etc. etc. stuff ppl misses a big part of the show, they have to be quiet to not ruin the audio, still to have a good image, checking the phone from time to time to see everything is ok...Dunno, I just miss the times when you went to a concert and nobody was holding a cellphone or similar...just a few traditional small cameras to take a couple of pics.

I don't think it was ever explicitly stated by any of the bands either way (except for one band who said on their site that it's totally fine). Most, if not all, of the venues did have "no recording" signs permanently up, but that rarely stops anyone.

I'm pretty loose when it comes to my recordings. All of them were done using an audio-only recorder that I left in my pocket and did furi and enjoyed the concert normally regardless of how it'd effect the recording. I have to agree that people holding out their cellphones for a whole concert to record footage is pretty annoying from an audience perspective, but who am I to dictate how they enjoy the concert experience?

5 hours ago, Biopanda said:

I don't think it was ever explicitly stated by any of the bands either way (except for one band who said on their site that it's totally fine). Most, if not all, of the venues did have "no recording" signs permanently up, but that rarely stops anyone.

I'm pretty loose when it comes to my recordings. All of them were done using an audio-only recorder that I left in my pocket and did furi and enjoyed the concert normally regardless of how it'd effect the recording. I have to agree that people holding out their cellphones for a whole concert to record footage is pretty annoying from an audience perspective, but who am I to dictate how they enjoy the concert experience?

Actually, it is explicitly mentioned that no recording is allowed but like I said, I just keep my cell phone in my breast pocket; I  just want a decently audible recording afterwards while I pump my fists in the air/shout my favourite member's name etc. And yeah, concert attendees who are more interested in taking photos and video recording annoys me to no end >:(

8 hours ago, Biopanda said:

I have to agree that people holding out their cellphones for a whole concert to record footage is pretty annoying from an audience perspective, but who am I to dictate how they enjoy the concert experience?

The middle of the crowd is not a space to take photos or record videos. It's one of the reasons why I rarely go to concerts anymore, I don't want to pay a lot of money just to struggle to see anything. Recording the audio through the phone in someone's pocket is ok, though. It doesn't disturb anyone.

10 hours ago, Biopanda said:

But how about just experiencing the moment? Though I kinda regretted not recording today's Gotcharocka live since they played some acoustic songs and it sounded great.

but I agree with the others. Video recording is annoying as fuck. 

I'll tell you who I am to dictate how other people should enjoy a concert. Today everyone goes on and on about rights but they forget that a person's rights stop once they step over someone else's, and their annoying recording is interfering with my right to enjoy a performance without seeing a bunch of cameras.

Edited by Komorebi

For me it was just a "set it, forget it and enjoy the moment" kind of deal. I know that it could definitely get in the way for some people, but that's just a personal thing. It's also super helpful when doing things like live reports after the show. My memory is really bad, so being able to go back through the recording to get things like the setlist or a bit that happened during the MC was a huge help.

19 hours ago, Nyasagi said:

The middle of the crowd is not a space to take photos or record videos. It's one of the reasons why I rarely go to concerts anymore, I don't want to pay a lot of money just to struggle to see anything. Recording the audio through the phone in someone's pocket is ok, though. It doesn't disturb anyone.

This! I traveled to see Years & Years in Osaka and mostly ended up watching the whole show through two bitches' phones. We weren't even near the front so the quality they were getting was absolute garbage, and in no way justifiable for ruining the concert experience of everyone around them.

Whenever I see concert footage from overseas, the audience is singing so loud and off key it's like why bother going? I'm not sure when concerts became karaoke duet timez with the band, but it's rude af. Or maybe Western artists should do like Japanese artists and specify certain verses of certain songs that are okay to have the audience sing.

I generally frown on recording during lives, but if it's unnoticeable and for your personal enjoyment only, then hey you do you.

People singing in concerts rude??? Most of the times u can see the artist are having like "the time of their life" when people sign with them (one good example is Noel Gallagher in Argentina)...I guess is just different cultures and way of being, I have the same feeling as you when I see some shows in Japan and people are like in a funeral without even clapping between songs :D

I think it depends. Some people sing so loudly during concerts it actually ruins it for everyone around them. From what I understand, it's considered rude to sing during vkei concerts, unless the artists gives the crowd cue to sing. Not sure about other concerts though. I still sometimes catch myself lip-syncing for my life because in my country singing along at concerts is encouraged, so I have fun without getting nasty glares from people around me. :P

1 hour ago, qotka said:

I think it depends. Some people sing so loudly during concerts it actually ruins it for everyone around them. From what I understand, it's considered rude to sing during vkei concerts, unless the artists gives the crowd cue to sing. Not sure about other concerts though. I still sometimes catch myself lip-syncing for my life because in my country singing along at concerts is encouraged, so I have fun without getting nasty glares from people around me. :P

THIS SO MUCH. My experience was kinda ruined when fans were singing their heart out during the songs (when the singer in no way cued them) in a radwimps concert in Singapore I attended; if I wanted to hear people other than the band singing, I'll jolly well watch youtube covers instead.

Edited by sads123

2 hours ago, qotka said:

I think it depends. Some people sing so loudly during concerts it actually ruins it for everyone around them.

this. also had an annoying experience during a crossfaith show. the one next to me was screaming the lyrics the whole time in the highest tone he could possibly reach...

anyway, I recorded two lives (sound only) while I was in Tokyo, both with my iPhone. the first time the sound was pretty good, the second time it was totally fucked up.

So ... any ideas how to make it sound ... less distorted afterwards?

2 hours ago, -Tetsu- said:

anyway, I recorded two lives (sound only) while I was in Tokyo, both with my iPhone. the first time the sound was pretty good, the second time it was totally fucked up.

So ... any ideas how to make it sound ... less distorted afterwards?

There's some editing you can do it post to try and make it sound a little better, but there are certain problems like clipping audio where there's nothing that can be done.

A simple trick i do is i put a couple pieces of clear tape over the microphone on my phone and it reduces the intensity of the sound it records and still remains clear. 

I usually attend heavy rock shows so i place a good amount of tape lol

Check my instagram for some of my sick clips lol

https://www.instagram.com/este_guy/

Edited by -NOVA-

1 hour ago, -NOVA- said:

A simple trick i do is i put a couple pieces of clear tape over the microphone on my phone and it reduces the intensity of the sound it records and still remains clear. 

That's probably a good tip if you're going the phone route, since I don't think any phones have high quality enough mics to not get totally blown out. If you're willing to drop $100-200, then going with something like the Zoom H2 or H2n will get you great quality even without the best environment (i.e. a pocket, like me).

That was recorded with an H2n in my pocket at Ikebukuro Cyber which is... not exactly known for having the best acoustics either XD

Iphone 5 did a great work and can't get caught with this.

Last time it was with a Samsung S6edge+, clipped as f**k, absolutely disguting.

There is so live exclusivity in Vk concert that I wish most of them were recorded by fan (probably done but so hard to find those traders).

But I did like Biopanda, it's recording but don't care about it, live the event, it will happen only one time (for most of us).

16 hours ago, -NOVA- said:

But won't this method muffle the audio being recorded, since its blocked by clear tape?

15 hours ago, Biopanda said:

That's probably a good tip if you're going the phone route, since I don't think any phones have high quality enough mics to not get totally blown out. If you're willing to drop $100-200, then going with something like the Zoom H2 or H2n will get you great quality even without the best environment (i.e. a pocket, like me).

That was recorded with an H2n in my pocket at Ikebukuro Cyber which is... not exactly known for having the best acoustics either XD

The sound quality sounds great! Unfortunately, no way I'm going to put down $100 for something I don't do often; I'm just preparing for an upcoming concert blazing trip in Japan heh

4 hours ago, sads123 said:

But won't this method muffle the audio being recorded, since its blocked by clear tape?

since the sound at concerts is so intense it just reduces the amount of punch the sound pacts to your microphone but sound still gets in and it sounds clear (From my expirience it works) I would reccomend trying it at the next show you go to. Even if its 1 song you will notice a difference :) If its sounds muffled try less tape or if its still bad try more tape xD

Edited by -NOVA-

Sign in to follow this