Axius

Dio - Distraught Overlord

DioDistraughtOverlord.jpg

Dio - Distraught Overlord 

Current status: Disbanded (2006-2010)

Vocal: Mikaru (Ray → halsion → DIO → DIGRAS → BLACK LINE)
Guitar: Kei (Kress Devia → DIO)
Bass: 萌様 (Ivy) (Grevious → poporo → DIO → Remming → Moran)
Drums: Denka (Raysphere → emily → waroiyatsu → DIO → BLACK LINE)

Discography 

[2006.05.xx] Garasu no Umi (硝子の海)

[30.11.2006] V.A - EGOIZ II

[2006.12.09] Byakuya ni Moyuru Hana (白夜二燃ユル花)

[2007.05.09] Byakuya ni Moyuru Hana -Shi to Byoudou no Tsumi no Naka de- (白夜二燃ユル花~死と平等の罪の中で~)

[08.08.2007] Embrace at Distraught [DVD Audio] 

[2007.10.10] Byakuya ni Moyuru Hana -Nanji, Ware wa Zenno no Mono Nari- (白夜二燃ユル花~汝、我は全能の者也~)

[27.02.2008] Heaven's Call

[06.08.2008] CARRY DAWN 

[19.12.2008] DICTATOR

[05.05.2009] COMA GOLD~The God Dead~

[09.05.2009] COMA GOLD

[04.09.2016] Byakuya ni moyuru hana (白夜二燃ユル花)

They honestly should have made a full pv for the Byakuya ni moyuru hana (白夜二燃ユル花) single. I would have loved to see that 

Edited by doomsoul136

you forgot to add the recent bands :)

here you go for the complete list (taken from vkdb) :

Spoiler

Vocal : MIKARU (Ray → ハルシオン → Dio → DIGRAS → BLACK LINE → BLACK LINE → G.L.A.M.S)

Guitar: kei  (Kress Devia → Dio → G.L.A.M.S (support))

Guitar: erina (left 2009) (luciel(依璃奈) → サリー → SCHELLEN → CHELSEA → Dio → VII-Sense → Lucifer's underground → TRIGGAH(support) → TRIGGAH → G.L.A.M.S (support))

Bass: ivy (Grevious → ポポロ → Dio → レミング → Moran → (OPA) → ラッコ

Drums: denka (Raysphere → (ほっけ。)(s.i.d.) → エミリー(デンカ) → 悪いヤツ!(support) → Dio→ BLACK LINE(Syu) → G.L.A.M.S (support))

but I totally agree with you on that PV. Probably there will be a PV one day since they said they want to tour as DIO some day again

On 6/19/2017 at 5:25 PM, -Tetsu- said:

you forgot to add the recent bands :)

here you go for the complete list (taken from vkdb) :

Hide contents

Vocal : MIKARU (Ray → ハルシオン → Dio → DIGRAS → BLACK LINE → BLACK LINE → G.L.A.M.S)

Guitar: kei  (Kress Devia → Dio → G.L.A.M.S (support))

Guitar: erina (left 2009) (luciel(依璃奈) → サリー → SCHELLEN → CHELSEA → Dio → VII-Sense → Lucifer's underground → TRIGGAH(support) → TRIGGAH → G.L.A.M.S (support))

Bass: ivy (Grevious → ポポロ → Dio → レミング → Moran → (OPA) → ラッコ

Drums: denka (Raysphere → (ほっけ。)(s.i.d.) → エミリー(デンカ) → 悪いヤツ!(support) → Dio→ BLACK LINE(Syu) → G.L.A.M.S (support))

but I totally agree with you on that PV. Probably there will be a PV one day since they said they want to tour as DIO some day again

Thank you for updating i apologize. I couldn't find it for some reason

2 hours ago, doomsoul136 said:

Thank you for updating i apologize. I couldn't find it for some reason

No problem :) glad I could help :)

36 minutes ago, zaa_zaa said:

really? Key is playing support for GLAMS? Is he that white haired guy from their BE ALONE pv?

yepp, thats Kei :) he'll also play with them on their concert on July 8 in Tokyo !

Newb question: how do they get away with a name like this? Dio, if you don't know, was the name of the band for a legendary metal singer named Ronnie James Dio. When you say "Dio" to an American metal fan they instantly think Ronnie James Dio and no one else. And he toured Japan many times so they know his name, too.

Along with the association there's trademark issues. Bands with an existing trademarked name in the US have to come up with a new name. Testament is probably the best known case. They were known as Legacy and signed to a record deal under that name. When they went to trademark it, they saw another band had the name and had to change theirs.

Granted this Dio will likely never set foot in the U.S. but isn't there still potential overlap with the U.S. Dio in Japan as well? Or is Japan so completely isolated musically they can get away with it?

3 minutes ago, Traxan said:

Newb question: how do they get away with a name like this? Dio, if you don't know, was the name of the band for a legendary metal singer named Ronnie James Dio. When you say "Dio" to an American metal fan they instantly think Ronnie James Dio and no one else. And he toured Japan many times so they know his name, too.

Along with the association there's trademark issues. Bands with an existing trademarked name in the US have to come up with a new name. Testament is probably the best known case. They were known as Legacy and signed to a record deal under that name. When they went to trademark it, they saw another band had the name and had to change theirs.

Granted this Dio will likely never set foot in the U.S. but isn't there still potential overlap with the U.S. Dio in Japan as well? Or is Japan so completely isolated musically they can get away with it?

Technically they are called "Dio - distraught overlord", and they're not really famous enough for the average metal fan to even come across them online, so I don't think it's ever really been an issue?

They went to the US in 2009: http://www.jame-world.com/us/articles-6668-dio-distraught-overlord-interview-in-houston-texas.html

And they've been to Europe multiple times, seemingly without any issues.

I know Pentagon performed under the name "Pentagon Japan" during their recent convention appearance in the US, since they didn't want to be confused with a Korean group with the same name, but I think that had a lot more to do with the fact that either group could have logically been performing there. Plus they had exactly the same name. "Dio - distraught overlord" is probably different enough for them to get away with it?

Yeah definitely. If they were just Dio, as I mistakenly thought, then they would run into problems. Ronnie's widow would have been all over them.

I once saw another band listed here named Heart. Again I wondered how they got away with that one. But I guess if they stay in Japan, no harm.

10 hours ago, Traxan said:

Yeah definitely. If they were just Dio, as I mistakenly thought, then they would run into problems. Ronnie's widow would have been all over them.

I once saw another band listed here named Heart. Again I wondered how they got away with that one. But I guess if they stay in Japan, no harm.

I know they did a tour in Europe and stuff idk if they made any changes but overall I usually called them by there name when i ever mention them i never call them dio at all despite them Emboldening the letters of "DIO" in caps.  Thats just me personally

I don't understand why they can't just continue. Or why they couldn't have expanded on the sound with their newer projects. G.L.A.M.S is awful and Black Line wasn't much better. Mikaru had one of the best growls I've ever heard in vkei and It's a shame that he changed the way he did. I feel like they had something really special. I'd love to see what a modern DIO MV would look like in glorious 1080p. The scene is really missing a band like them right now.

Edited by lichtlune

There's still hope that they'll come back - at least for some concerts. After their concerts last year they were all like "we want to tour as Dio again!" and after their final (not the Japan one) Mikaru was like "I want to come back as Dio" (at least thats what I remember lol) so lets wait and see what will happen :)

And I don't think that G.L.A.M.S (or Black Line) is bad. Yes, they're totally different from Dio. I went to see G.L.A.M.S several times already and their live sound is a lot better than on CD. They also play some Dio songs too every time! 

Dio were very popular overseas but not in Japan unfortunately, I think that's why they disbanded, part of it at least. Kei also retired after their breakup but he seems to be back since he was there at the reunion and doing support for GLAMS.

It would be so cool if Dio return for real, the new song they did for the tour is phenomenal and Mikaru loves Dio, it seems that he never really moved on. We can only hope now

Edited by Kiryu999

DIO DISTRUAGHT OVERLORD if they come back id be like sooooo fricken happy hes like on my top 10 best vocalist. Well on my list at least lol

I went to see their last live in Paris, last tour with B7KLAN... Gosh they are one of the best live bands i've seen. On CD, Dio is like so-so, or just okay. But during concerts they become monsters, they know how to make a good show