TheZigzagoon

How did 'NIGHTMARE' become so successful in such a short space of time despite being in high school at the time of formation

NIGHTMARE was formed January 1st 2000, and all the members were in high school, they became major in 2003 with Nippon Crown, and their indies period with Speed Disk (2001 - 2002) proved successful.I just wonder how they managed to pull it off in a short space of time.

Weren't they in competition with The GazettE from the get-go? Kinda like Diru vs. Pierrot.

Maybe because of that competition they filled a void in the market and their popularity accelerated rapidly.

Going major rather quickly isn't unheard of in vkei. Versailles also did it in just over 2 years, and there were a lot of bands in the mid-90's who got signed to big labels super quickly in spite of their lack of experience (and as a result, a lack of longevity). For example, Lúcide released an album (one of 2 releases they ever put out) through East West  in  97/98 and then broke up.

Edited by Peace Heavy mk II

1 minute ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

Weren't they in competition with The GazettE from the get-go? Kinda like Diru vs. Pierrot.

Maybe because of that competition they filled a void in the market and their popularity accelerated rapidly.

Going major rather quickly isn't unheard of in vkei. Versailles also did it in just over 2 years, and there were a lot of bands in the mid-90's who got signed to big labels super quickly in spite of their lack of experience (and as a result, a lack of longevity). For example, Lúcide released an album through East West  in  97/98 and then broke up.

Well The GazettE formed in 2002, but didn't get properly noticed until late '03, meaning NIGHTMARE will have gone major by time The GazettE had established themselves in the indies category of bands, unless by time 2004 came around and the GazettE released DISORDER, which reached Number 3 in the Oricon Indies Chart, they had competition. I wouldn't know whether that could be a possibility or not.

I just find it fascinating how they could still be in high school, then in the same period lose their drummer Zannin (No one actually knows anything about that guy other than he exists), then have Ruka come from the then recently disbanded Luinspear to be there drummer and just take off. I heard somewhere it was to do with their method of touring, covering a lot of small venues around Japan in a short amount of time, but I'm just unsure, it's interesting (at least my boring mind thinks so anyways XD )

i think raphael went major at a very young age as well

guess it just happens for some very lucky bands who do the right thing at the right place at the right time

likely:

unlikely: 

combination of charisma, well produced indie records and being spotted by nippon crown recruiters at the right time

they didn't really explode in popularity until siging to VAP who sold their music to animoo weebz hardcore for a few years.

fame-wise naito were always a few notches above gazette tho, idk where the comparison even comes from.

Edited by nekkichi

I listen to them probably since 2006, and during those earlier years from them people used to say they had their big grow due to:

-Their debut called "Believe", which somehow got a very well feedback from their music industry, and the next releases like "Varuna" and "東京傷年" were good enough to keep their earlier sucessful days.

-Sakito guitar skills being amazing for a such younger musician and even he never had guitar classes.

I also want to put that during those years, the vk scene wasn't so big like today.