Tanishi

Highest Selling VK album of 2016?

Without typing in individual bands into the Oricon website, it's pretty hard to find out sales on the VK industry as a whole. Kiryu's album placed 9th on the weekly charts with 13.245 sales which seems like it could be the highest because SID, Golden Bomber (ignoring compilations) and Gazette didn't release albums. I'm asking this out of curiosity, I don't really want to participate in sales wars.

I don't see any VK acts on the regular Oricon Top 100 Albums of 2016, so I think the Indie Top 20 is probably the easiest way to gauge it:

http://jame-world.com/us/articles-124002-oricon-2016-top-20-indie-singles-albums.html

Unless you count GACKT as VK, it seems like you're probably right by saying Kiryu sold the most albums - at least among the artists whose releases came out on indie labels. There must be some major bands that sold more, but I can't think of any really popular ones that released albums last year either.

Edited by violetchain

46 minutes ago, violetchain said:

There must be some major bands that sold more, but I can't think of any really popular ones that released albums last year either.

Yeah I've been typing in some major bands but can't really find information. I can't even get the Oricon website to give me first week sales numbers for specific releases or even on 2016 weekly charts. Yet 2017 has it all there. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or it's an example of superior nipponese technology.

Does releasing like 20 different types count as cheating? Haha

is Acid Black Cherry considered Vk? If it is, it's most definitely topping the charts.

3 hours ago, Komorebi said:

is Acid Black Cherry considered Vk? If it is, it's most definitely topping the charts.

I forgot about them completely, though they didn't release a studio album last year, I'm surprised Yasu and co are still that popular. Their last album got to number 2 and the cover album they released this year got to number 3 (I thought cover albums usually do terribly). That's pretty crazy. In 2009 I thought assumed they'd fall off the radar fast and haven't paid attention to them since around that time.

Edited by fieldsgrow