Sign in to follow this  
suji

Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave) has died

Chris Cornell, lead singer of rock bands Soundgarden and Audioslave, was found dead hours after Soundgarden's live in Detroit, Michigan in the midst of their US tour on May 17.

The next day, it was determined that Cornell had committed suicide from hanging himself. A full autopsy report is still ongoing.

Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, hanged himself, the Wayne County (Michigan) Medical Examiner's Office announced Thursday in a statement.

The cause of death has been determined as suicide by hanging, the statement said, adding that a "full autopsy report has not yet been completed."

Cornell,  52, died Wednesday night after performing in Detroit.

A family friend called 911 around midnight Thursday after he went to check on Cornell and found the musician "unresponsive" on the bathroom floor at the MGM Grand hotel, Detroit police spokesman Michael Woody said. Emergency medical personnel arrived, and Cornell was pronounced dead at the scene, he said.

Cornell was in Detroit performing with Soundgarden on a US tour that kicked off last month. His passing was "sudden and unexpected," his representative, Brian Bumbery, said in a statement to CNN.

"His wife Vicky and family were shocked to learn of his sudden and unexpected passing, and they will be working closely with the medical examiner to determine the cause," the statement read. "They would like to thank his fans for their continuous love and loyalty and ask that their privacy be respected at this time."

The Grammy-winning rocker had performed Wednesday night at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. He ended his performance with a cover of Led Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying."

"Full set with an encore. Nothing odd. Outstanding performance," Bill Lowe of Port Clinton, Ohio, said, describing the show in a text message to CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/entertainment/chris-cornell-dead/index.html

Edited by sheepprincessgara

Whether you liked grunge or not (I know, very stigmatic scene in overall among most rock/metal listeners), you cannot argue that Chris Cornell was one of a kind among vocalists of the grunge generation - to the point where he may have impressed tons of older key music figures. I used to enjoy him among other grunge acts thru my active MTV digestion back in my adolescent heydays (gotta get this out of my chest because seriously, fuck any concept of "genre cred"), so even with long time span of no listens in my weeabooish comfort zone, this news still sucks hard to me tbqh. I normally do not give such comments for the sake of "oh some known musician X died, I must listen to them now" fad - I give them out due to these fleeting moments of my bittersweet nostalgia, and what may have defined my liking and approach later on. Weiland leaving us first, and now this...:(

RIP man.

Edited by Alroy

Totally lame news. I still can't really fathom it. I used to listen it Soundgarden a lot in my early teens and pre-teens days and I have a lot of pleasant memories of their songs. I remember making a 90's playlist on Spotify maybe a few months ago, and I put "Outshined" on it without hesitation. RIP hard, gonna be a tough one to grasp for a while, I reckon </3.

Sign in to follow this