SadMoomin

Overrated/underrated Jrock singers

Since that I haven't seen any topic specifically about this, I thought that would be an interesting discussion.

Which singer(s) do you think is overrated ? And which one do you think, don't have enough recognition ?

For me, if i'd have to pick a singer who I think is overrated, I'd say Asagi, despite not being bad :x  And for underrated, i'd say Yukiya Fujiya (From D≒SIRE, JILS & Kain) ! His voice is so amazing.

I'd actually say Asagi is underrated, since people seem to prefer Kamijo over him, despite Kamijo's vocal ability not being as outstanding.

Depends on who you ask though. If you take the average facebook dwelling VK fan then Ruki, Yoshiatsu and Tsuzuku are vastly overrated.

Jui (ex Vidoll) as quite an unique voice and very good vocal ability, even if he doesn't sing as well now, he is still underrated imo

Underrated:

-Asagi (D)

-Kazuki (Xaa-xaa)

-Ryo (9Goats Black Out, Dalle, Hollowgram, Keel)

-Kyouka (Grieva)

-Juka

-Akane (Para:noir/D.I.D.)

Overrated:

-Chiaki (Dezert)

-Keisuke (Deviloof)

-Hal (Fest Vainqueur)

-Subaru (Royz)

-TenTen

Underrated:

Gara (MERRY)

Rei (Marco)

Sui (David, ex-Megaromania)

Kaya

Tetsu (ex-Malice Mizer)

Hibiki (The High Grip, ex-Calmando Qual)

Saya (Labaiser)

Seth/Z (Moi dix Mois, Art Cube)

Overrated:

Tsuzuku (Mejibray)

Kamijo

Bidoh (Elysion)

Hiro (Cockturnal Buttlust)

Jojo (The Gallo)

Subaru (Royz)

Yuuki (Lycaon)

Edited by sheepprincessgara

Hmm.... interesting. Here's my take.

Underrated:

Shuuji #1 from Cali Gari

Mizuki from e.mu

Hirofumi from Eins:Vier

Yuji from Child

Overrated:

Dada from Velvet Eden

Hina from Azalea/hurts (sorry old school heads)

Riku from Phantasmagoria/chariots

And maybe the most controversial of all...

Kon from La'Mule

Sorry about that.

I think Kaya is grossly underrated. I don't care for most of his music due to it not being my taste, but his range is out of this world. There are some songs that he's released that really blow me away--the piano version of Last Snow comes to my mind immediately--but there are a handful of others that showcase his talent and it really does bother me that he's not more popular, or at the very least, more recognised.

Overrated, definitely KAMIJO. I don't even want to touch that one.

Edited by raphael

Underrated: Kaya, Loki (ex-Sugar), Seiji/Seth/Z, Fuki (ex-Light Bringer)

Overrated: Ruki, Tsuzuku

Edited by Zalemu

Underrated: 

Riku from Phantasmagoria, even if he isn't the best. 

Kyouki from Grieva, because people say he tries to sound like Kyo (Even though he sounds nothing like him, and actually uses better technique, tbh..) and I've heard all the accusations of him being autotuned, just because of how his backup vocals sound and because the way the production sounds. However, he's pretty much the same live, records his own backups and gets the same processing treatment that Yo-ka from Diaura gets. And last time I checked, Yo-ka is revered for his vocals. In fact, since Grieva went original now, they deserve much more credit than they used to.

Asagi from D.

Kaya

Chiaki from Dezert. I literally hear no praise for his screams or feminine vocals, which are quite impressive. 

Mei from Kuroyuri to Kage. I often hear the same thing about his screams, "His screams aren't powerful enough", but that doesn't show the point. The screams aren't meant to be powerful. They're Jonathan Davis type screams. Also, there are his signature whine vocals. While vocalists in the past have experimented with the whine-vocals, such as Ruki from The GazettE, or Tusk Itaya from Zi:Kill, they're a signature part of Mei's vocals. 

Mahiro from Kiryu. I keep hearing so much criticism on his vocals, especially from the snobbier people of Vkei (*Cough* TeppyBaka *Cough*), but, if you can combine traditional Japanese vocal techniques with western techniques, AND add your own twist to it, you're doing something right. 

Overrated: 

Ruki from The Gazette (Well, he actually used to be quite unique, when he sang more aggressively and rolled his Rs. Now he sounds like every other Vkei vocalist. 

Kamijo from Versailles. 

Tsuzuku from Mejibray

And then there is one I have a weird position on: Kyo from Dir En Grey. I don't think he's necessarily overrated, but I think he is overpraised. Like, even after all the numerous surgeries, and learning correct techniques, he often still goes into incorrect techniques that could quite potentially harm him again in the future, or while not harming, make him sound worse than he really is. Singing, for the most part, he's got down. Regular screams, he's got down. However, the squeals a few of the growls concern me. However, the biggest complaint I have is his mic technique, as starting from Marrow of a Bone, he began cupping the mic, which any sound guy and microphone manufacturer will tell you is really bad mic technique and is the reason why his singing sounds so weird live. I mean, if you look at the 2007 Hide Memorial summit footage, you can hear the mic audio going from good to bad as he cups and uncups it. 

And don't go "look, little girlie, you don't know anything about death metal, it's just a death metal technique, you have to cup the mic.", because then you'll have to explain the death metal bands where the vocalists play guitar. They exist, and they sound way better than most death metal bands. I'll even go into the science of how a microphone works if I have to. 

Edited by AimiGen7

3 hours ago, sheepprincessgara said:

Underrated:

Gara (MERRY)

Rei (Marco)

Sui (David, ex-Megaromania)

Kaya

Tetsu (Malice Mizer)

Hibiki (The High Grip, ex-Calmando Qual)

Saya (Labaiser)

Seth/Z (Moi dix Mois, Art Cube)

Overrated:

Tsuzuku (Mejibray)

Kamijo

Bidoh (Elysion)

Hiro (Cockturnal Buttlust)

Jojo (The Gallo)

tetsu is often forgotten in the vk biz :(

underrated:

-Asagi (D)        Never been listening

Overrated:

-レイト→ヒラツカタカノブ (Metempsychosis)               Vote for my own favorite!:P

Underrated :

-  Shougo (Anfiel)

-  Masashi (ex FoLLoW)

-  Sakurai Yuki (ex Raphael, rice)

- Angel-Taka (UCHUSENTAI:NOIZ)

-  Danchou (Shinkou Shuukyou Gakudan NoGoD)

- Keiyuu (Kra)

Overrated :

- Tsuzuku (Mejibray)

- Karma (ex Avelcain)

- Yuuki (ex Lycaon, Initial'L)

- Kamijo

- Subaru (Royz)

Fuki from Light Bringer is overrated, IMO. People rave about her performance in Doll$boxx but all I hear is a squeal.

On 2017/5/6 at 0:32 PM, anadentone said:

tetsu is often forgotten in the vk biz :(

I true shame because some of ZIGZO's stuff is pretty good, or at least better than a lot of VK stuff. 

Overrated:

Kyô (Dir en Grey, Sukekiyo)

Or maybe he is just too much appreciated everywhere. I've personally heard/seen him singing once and well... Audience was somewhat impressed but I couldn't get anything out from the show.

Underrated:

ASAGI (D)

yo-ka (DIAURA)

Nobody talks about them but they both really do have talent for singing! ASAGI's style is more classical but he is super with high vocals. yo-ka is able to sing almost everything from very soft ballads to brutal death growls!

Overrated:

- Kyo

- Dada

- Tsuzuku (Mejibray)

- Karma (Avelcain)

- Yuuki (Lycaon)

- Hiro (Nocturnal Bloodlust)

- Kon (La'Mule)

- Juri (Deluhi)

- Sono (Matenrou Opera) Might get hate for this one.

Underrated:

- Yukari (Baiser)

- Daisuke (Kagerou, the studs) Him and Aie worked so well together. I can't help but feel the god and death stars would sound better with him on vocals.

- Jin (Nega, The Black Swan) He's an acquired taste but he's gotten so much better. Though I still liked him with Nega.

- Shin (ViViD) This band weren't very good but Shin's vocals while really generic were really great. With a better band he would be amazing.

- Nigu (cocklobin)

- yo-ka (DIAURA)

- Kurosaki Mahiro (Kiryuu)

- Aki (Laputa) Underrated band in general.

- Jui (Vidoll)

- Izumi (Wail)

- Teru (Glay) Though most likely he's not underrated in Japan.

OVERRATED

- Asagi (D) Back in the day he used to be quite overrated, at least. Nowadays it feels like basically no1curr about D at all anymore.

- Tsuzuku (Mejibray) 

- Karma (ex Avelcain)                                

- Yuuki (ex Lycaon, Initial'L) 

- Kamijo    

- Jin (ex Nega, The Black Swan) 

- Dada (Velvet Eden) Like.... ????? i never got what people saw here tbh, he's always sounded like shit to me 

- Satsuki (ex Rentrer en soi) Another case where I never got the hype 

- Keisuke (Deviloof) DUDE HARSH VOCALS LMAO

UNDERRATED:

- Shuuji 1 (ex cali gari) but only during his cali gari days, I haven't been v. impressed with his work after that 

- Loki (ex Sugar, More)

- Mako (ex deadman)

- Danchou (NoGod)

- Demon Kogure (Seikima-II) 

- Gara (Merry)

- Morrie (Dead End, Creature Creature) Dude doesn't get enough credit for his newfound meme vocals

- Ao Sakurai (LAB. THE BASEMENT, cali gari) May not be technically amazing or anything, but I've always thought his voice is interesting

- Jun Togawa

- Susumu Hirasawa (P-Model etc) Generally underrated among the weeb crowd 

- Ya-su (ex GRASS, Ya-foo) comfy as fuck

Don't really think anyone is really overrated except Gackt and Kyo.

Underrated: 

Demon Kogure

Kaya 

Klaha 

Seth

Masatoshi Ono "Sho"

Y'all be sleepin' on some of these fools.

@Ada Suilen - said TenTen was overrated...I curse you in the name of the holy father and son...lol

Overrated:

Satsuki

Jin (seriously nasally. Blow your nose dammit!)

Yuuki

Tsuzuku (OH DEAR GAWWWWD)

Underrated:

Asagi (though he still needs to work on those screams)

Overrated:

Tsuzuku

Yuuki

Kamijo

Gackt

Kyo

Underrated:

Jui

yo-ka

L

I'm actually surprised that L hasn't been mentioned here yet! Or maybe I just have strange taste lol. I had to mention 2/3 of the Tohoku brothers since I am on the rocks about Asagi. He definitely has some nice/unique vocals but I feel a good amount of people who have listened to D recognize that. However, no one really cares about D anymore it seems so I had no idea where to place him in these categories.

I think my overrated section is quite predictable. Some of the people I mention have awful vocals to me or I can't bear to listen to them for an extended amount of time. 

Edited by gekiai