Takadanobabaalien

#resurrectVK

Ugggghhh I saw this guy's videos on FB this morning and was about to go awf on him but remembered that 90% of the people in the vkei facebook group use Yohio as a reason to not kill themselves.

Plus there's a few people who are still bitter from when I told Bataar they had bad makeup.

Edited by Peace Heavy mk II

wait wait wait. Is it that guys from Bataar? How I aleays hated Bataar, and the one guitarist wjo dreamed of being Die is the most pathetic guy ever. Lol.

4 hours ago, Zeus said:

Something about the visual kei aesthetic is lost in translation when Westerners try to do it. Let the scene influence you but to be derivative of a derivative scene is just copycat at that point. Come up with your own fashions. Set your own trends. Learn photoshop. Try not to look like a $5 Five Below reject. Small things would help me to take his opinion even slightly more seriously than I do now.

See, I don't even think that westerners trying to do VK is a problem in itself. I don't see any reason why a westerner couldn't pull off a VK inspired aesthetic, the problem is that those that have tried (at least the ones that I'm aware of) are just crap. Like you suggest, it just seems that most of the western bands that try to pull off a VK look or sound just end up coming across as wholly derivative and lacking in any originality (not to mention musical talent). Then again, I think a lot of the modern Japanese VK scene is like that too, but I guess there are enough bands in the Japanese scene that at least one or two decent ones manage to slip through the cracks every now and then.

2 hours ago, Bear said:

wait wait wait. Is it that guys from Bataar? How I aleays hated Bataar, and the one guitarist wjo dreamed of being Die is the most pathetic guy ever. Lol.

Patrik is the one who always dreamed of being Kaoru.

2 hours ago, Pho said:

See, I don't even think that westerners trying to do VK is a problem in itself. I don't see any reason why a westerner couldn't pull off a VK inspired aesthetic, the problem is that those that have tried (at least the ones that I'm aware of) are just crap. Like you suggest, it just seems that most of the western bands that try to pull off a VK look or sound just end up coming across as wholly derivative and lacking in any originality (not to mention musical talent). Then again, I think a lot of the modern Japanese VK scene is like that too, but I guess there are enough bands in the Japanese scene that at least one or two decent ones manage to slip through the cracks every now and then.

I wish for something like that too, something subtle to contrast to the loud, wacky outfits from Japan.

13 minutes ago, Takadanobabaalien said:

i wonder if this is what he means that needs to be #resurrected

the like/dislike ratio is kinda satisfying tho

i

uhm

well

2 hours ago, Takadanobabaalien said:

i wonder if this is what he means that needs to be #resurrected

the like/dislike ratio is kinda satisfying tho

fuk

not that this is meant to change anyone's opinions but the "vkei dead in japan" is 100% bullshit for clicks/plays; just a couple minutes in he says no ofc it's not
clickbait's still clickbait but he's not saying the things you think he's saying.

Editing to add;
I don't care if Endigo/BatAAr/whoever's music or personality or style isn't something you're into at the end of the day he's a dude & his band doing the sort of stuff they want to do & as far as i can tell this video and the other, while they can be misleading or awkward, whatever, in tone - sounds to me like he's trying to promo & encourage junior musicians in his scene who don't have much exposure of their own.

Edited by diryangrey
instead of double posting

Golden thread. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, diryangrey said:

not that this is meant to change anyone's opinions but the "vkei dead in japan" is 100% bullshit for clicks/plays; just a couple minutes in he says no ofc it's not
clickbait's still clickbait but he's not saying the things you think he's saying.

Editing to add;
I don't care if Endigo/BatAAr/whoever's music or personality or style isn't something you're into at the end of the day he's a dude & his band doing the sort of stuff they want to do & as far as i can tell this video and the other, while they can be misleading or awkward, whatever, in tone - sounds to me like he's trying to promo & encourage junior musicians in his scene who don't have much exposure of their own.

Endigo?

9 hours ago, Pho said:

Patrik is the one who always dreamed of being Kaoru.

They need to do full drag style make up to make it work. They don't have the bone structure to pull of half assed be make up. 

I definitely don't think there's anything wrong with Westerners having visual kei bands, but it would be great if their music and style was anything more than mediocre and if they weren't cringey narcissists as people. Also in terms of not being able to pull off the style, they COULD do it. I do and I'm a chubby average-looking white person. It takes a lot of practice and effort to learn to style yourself correctly, but some people are so cocky that they're convinced they're already perfect when they're only halfway there, in both fashion and music. 

ALSO I've literally seen people whining that "visual kei is dying" or "it isn't what it used to be" since I got into this shit in 2003. It's usually from people who have been in the scene like 2-5 years and haven't come to terms with the fact that the life expectancy of a visual kei band unfortunately includes their favs and they get bitter when all the bands they liked when they got into vk are now disbanding. 

Edited by mahoujin
realized I had more to say

well although i usually don't spread my opinion about such alike often - i guess because out of to much free time i'll do:

so i discovered this video yesterday on yt even before i knew there was an whole topic started here around it....

my initial thought when he said like Vk is dead in europe i was like: hell no I am the best example Vk is still very alive in europe. *and now for being more serious...*

like when he said he searched on yt and there's almost like nothing i was like: yea of course not because no one thinks its cool anymore to upload everything on yt - everyone just downloads it for own purposes....

the part with in every TV commercial break i saw Vk adds: sure but only for bands  like the GazettE, Nightmare, Gackt....

so huge Vk bands which isn't that special...

when he talked about visiting tower records and codomo dragon had an instore going on... like that was the part which made me speechless the most! 

bcuz sure not everyone is that much into Vk like i am but if you always state like "I LOVE VK" i thought codomo dragon like even if you don't know how they sound i thought if you are into the scene for a few years now at least you should've heard there name already like WT actual F!?!

also if you are into Vk (sure when i was in tokyo i visited tower records as well but!) i was like: wouldn't it make more sense to actual visit the "real" Vk shops for buying CDs getting distributed and flyers etc.???? made no fucking sense at all to me....

and finally although not really related to the video i wanna give you my honest opinion about "none-japanese" Vk bands i have forever now:

dear bands Vk bands sing in japanese because its their native language and usually add some english for being "special".

so if you are a foreing Vk band fucking sing in your native language and mix it with english also!

if you are from sweden sing in swedish and add some english etc....

sure if your native is already english then well i don't know - then sing english and add some other language or just keep it with english but that mentalitly i wanna start a Vk band and then 80% of that people sing just piss-poor japanese it just makes me sick and is the main reason i don't get about foreing Vk bands like again:

dressing up Vk if you like it all they way you want thats totally cool but again japanese sing in their main language and add something more so why do foreign bands mostly think they NEED to sing japanese as well???!!!!

so that was probably a lot of shit i wrote here but i tried my best. ;D

the language thing is pure bullshit tho

i dont think a band or an artist has to sing in his/hers native tongue just because ~*thats how its supposed to be*~

there's a lot of swedish bands who sing in english instead of swedish. of course english is more universal so its not going to draw as much attention as a swede singing in japanese or some other language but I think that if you manage to pull it off then that's not an issue (example: chaos from glamscure, and even yohio whos japanese is actually good). the issue is that they dont manage to pull off the vk style, not their choice of language.

^ of course its not a "must" to sing in your native language if you wanna start a Vk band but quite a lot do think so (at least from how i feel it) which makes no sense and kills their music because they force themselfes so much to pull it off like japanese... its kinda hard to describe.

but as a good example for what i mean is that one chinese Vk band which had that one japanese Vk musician in them - can't think of their name right now.

like they sung in chinese and still got a lot of recognition because to people they obviously sounded good.

so there's no need for foreign Vk bands to force themselves to try to sing in japanese / english because if your musics good then people will listen to it no matter what language of course.

like probably 95% of all Vk fans who aren't japanese still listen to Vk because they like the music/the looks and the way the language sounds.

so i don't hink *to stay in sweden* like if a swedish Vk band would sing in swedish that a lot of people would be turned off based off of that because if your musics good and they like they way swedish sounds then they'll like you. 

and same goes for japanese Vk. people like your music, your looks the language - boom - success.

like there are many artists (not Vk) who sing in german etc. and are well loved all over the world although most none german fans probobly don't understand what they say...

so maybe now i could describe it better what i originally tried to say in my post above.

there's a practical reason for using japanese anyway, imho
those melodic, vibrato-y, interval-jumping vocal lines vkei is known for are a lot easier to manage in a language where half the sounds are what english calls consonants & half are vowels, and where emphases aren't intrinsic to words/phrases
that's why Kyo singing in english just sounds /different/ compared to him singing the same lines in japanese; i say Kyo bc glass skin & dozing green are recorded in both versions and make for great comparisons like that.

Not to say one language is better than the other - i think on those two diru songs english actually suits them way better and i'm def not saying that bc i can understand Kyo's english better.
There's just different sounds/techniques/styles some languages have less difficulties in expressing than others, so i think there's reason for overseas bands to sing in japanese beyond just the ~aesthetic~ of it.

The problem is that these dudes are completely inept and even singing in Swahili wouldn't give them the kind of vocal melody that's up to the standard of the most dime-a-dozen vk bands in Japan ( anyone who claims otherwise probably only listens to two new bands an year and just hates them on principle to look cool to nobody. ) Seike is another who, in addition being woefully unskilled, just never managed to break out of the humming a simple singy songy melody in his parents basement mode. 

There's been only one discernible talent in this entire farce and that's Yohio. Disreign can pass off as a legitimate band so god bless them. 

On 4/29/2017 at 9:03 PM, diryangrey said:

there's a practical reason for using japanese anyway, imho
those melodic, vibrato-y, interval-jumping vocal lines vkei is known for are a lot easier to manage in a language where half the sounds are what english calls consonants & half are vowels, and where emphases aren't intrinsic to words/phrases

This is a very good point and you it's not just vk. You can notice a clear difference in the way a lot of Japanese artists write music compared to Western artists and this is most likely highly connected to fundamental differences in the language. You can notice this especially in choruses of vk/jpop/jrock songs, something that I always felt but fully released when I started learning Japanese.

Although I would much rather a Western vk band use English or their native language instead of forcing a terrible Japanese accent. Yohio is pretty good with this but far from perfect. But they should really focus on not writing terrible music first.

Edited by fieldsgrow

I can't even take this guy seriously to begin with. This is the same guy that said a Jrpg doesn't have to be made in Japan to be a Jrpg. He's clearly an idiot.

I, accidentally, followed a western visual kei group on FB and I came across a gem of a quote "if you judge Western vkei, then you're directly judging the work of Japanese visual kei musicians" or something like that and I had a good laugh. That's not how it works, buddy. Like many have already said here, many of the western bands I've listened to are like sad rip offs of the real thing.  Saying what you do is exactly like the Japanese visual kei bands is arrogant af. 

I don't have anything against Westerners attempting to make a visual kei band, but honestly, all the stuff I've seen has been haughty white dudes who think they're really going to be the ones that'll make visual kei big in the West. Sorry, dude, you're not. It was never big over here, or in Japan, in the first place.

Do holler at me if anyone finds a Western visual kei group with some diversity tho.

8 hours ago, mahoujin said:

I definitely don't think there's anything wrong with Westerners having visual kei bands, but it would be great if their music and style was anything more than mediocre and if they weren't cringey narcissists as people. Also in terms of not being able to pull off the style, they COULD do it. I do and I'm a chubby average-looking white person. It takes a lot of practice and effort to learn to style yourself correctly, but some people are so cocky that they're convinced they're already perfect when they're only halfway there, in both fashion and music. 

ALSO I've literally seen people whining that "visual kei is dying" or "it isn't what it used to be" since I got into this shit in 2003. It's usually from people who have been in the scene like 2-5 years and haven't come to terms with the fact that the life expectancy of a visual kei band unfortunately includes their favs and they get bitter when all the bands they liked when they got into vk are now disbanding. 

THIS

OMG yes.