Sign in to follow this  
donwea

What band do you think they could have played in tokyo dome but never did?

I think (Considering that bands like the GazettE or SID could):

SHAZNA: They had an album that sold more than 1 million, 1 MILLION !, practically impossible for any visual kei band today, And they are one of the 5 VK bands that achieved it, they 98's were really great, I think they could have done without problem, but only limited to playing budokan, in 2000 they had already lost too much force.

DIR EN GREY: Of the 99-03 they were really popular, they managed to play in osaka jo hall the same year of their album debut, something that no vk band had done, and Gauze receives gold certification of la riaj with the old methodology of 200k. Finally only limited to play in budokan, osaka-jo and yokohama arena.

PIERROT: They have been one of the few bands that have played in the dome, not in the tokyo dome, but in the seibu dome (dictator circus V), Of 98-03 I think they were popular enough to try to play there, Usually played in budokan, yokohama arena or saitama super arena.

Kuroyume: They 95-96 were quite popular, in fact they had an album that sold more than 600k, Only played in budokan and yokohama arena.

Janne da Arc: They had several albums that sold over 100k copies, Of 02-06 were quite popular, Played on arenas like budokan, osaka-jo and saitama super arena.

NIGHTMARE: They with the GazettE and SID the bands that more copies sold and those that touched in the greater places, They had enough diffusion between 06-11, I think they should have taken advantage of that moment and decided to play at tokyo dome.

Edit: Was created two times, please leave this and delete the other.

Edited by donwea

I wonder if it has to do with the initial feel of VK being "against mainstream media" and playing in such a big venue could go against that? Maybe it's too expensive to rent and take the risk? It is an interesting subject.

I don't know. Quite a few VK bands sold really well back in late '90s and early '00s, such as the ones you mentioned plus the likes of FANATIC◇CRISIS, PENICILLIN, sads, MALICE MIZER, Laputa, La'cryma Christi etc, but none of them had any big names like YOSHIKI, hide or Ryuichi Kawamura in order to have a bigger pull with audiences for a Dome stage. Tokyo Dome still is a huge deal and playing there must feel like a big shot in the dark which may prove to be too risky. I still feel like it was a mistake for Gazette and SID to have played there.

@r..., any thoughts?

Edited by saishuu

I don't know about SID but Gazette were not even remotely close to selling out their show at Tokyo Dome which is why they never played there again.
Depending on how its set up, Tokyo Dome can hold 42,000 – 55,000 people. Compare that to venues like Yokohama Arena (17,000), Saitama Super Arena (36,500) and Budokan (14,471) and those numbers are when they are at their set up for max capacity. Most shows played at any of these venues don't use the entire hall. 

Tokyo Dome is ENORMOUS. Playing there would be a huge risk even for popular 90s vk bands in their heyday. 

Edited by Duwang

18 minutes ago, Duwang said:

I don't know about SID but Gazette were not even remotely close to selling out their show at Tokyo Dome which is why they never played there again.

I beliiiieve SID sold out Saitama Super Arena in stadium mode prior to playing at Dome, so it might've been alright for them. They probably sold between 30-40k seats.

Sign in to follow this