Pretsy

Fads, trends and influences in J-rock/Visual kei: What's next?

This community has reached 10 years already, and has respectively seen the visual scene (especially) evolve, split ways, come back together and keep evolving throughout the course of MH's existence. However, 3 years until the end of this decade is not a long time period, so the existing base of enthusiasts needs to brace themselves for winds of grandiose changes. We have seen the gamut of heavy, light, hard, quirky rock genres being explored by various participants - or even "game changers" in the whole scene. Good observers are quick to point out that there's a certain "pattern" of trends and influences that could affect the course of Visual evolution. So what's this pattern?

So, let's kickstart this discussion by providing a few questions where I'd like to see different Monochromium takes - based on your own experiences, interests, observations and perhaps hopes - on how this gargantuan scene would - or SHOULD carry on. I am asking you to define how YOU see the aforementioned "pattern" - as a VK aficionado or as an old grumpy Visual fan:

1) Where and how would you see current, "dominating" branches of VK (e.g. symphonic rock/metal kei, Paracore, "Ains kei" etc. - you name them) progressing during the end of this decade/during the next decade? Could you see some of them fading out, perhaps becoming more dominant or evolving into newer ones during the said course?

2) Do you anticipate more prominent, *current* Japanese non-VK rock trends in visual scene (e.g. Chanty with post-HC/indie influences) during the aforementioned course or do you see the whole scene, or perhaps a huge part of it, becoming more immersed in "nostalgist ideas" instead (e.g. Grieva and "neo-kotekote") ? Do you prefer to see much larger pool of influences in the prospective visual scene or do you prefer to have VK things in the future as they are now - and why?

Feel free to write your overall thoughts on visual "trend evolution" outside of these questions as well.

Edited by Alroy

I would not be surprised if bands in the future incorporate EDM influences or just become full-on DJ acts. They've already started to focus on electronics a bit more the past 5~6 years, but aside from dark-wave and chip-tune, there haven't been any fully electronic visual-kei acts with a concentration in dance music.

Edited by Peace Heavy mk II

It's hard to say where the scene will go. It's mostly a big mess of metalcore, DJ ent, EDM, and some random spots of more revival kei. It's only hard to predict because visual kei is not defined by a particular genre of music so it could be anything. It's just dominated by certain genres depending upon where the scene currently stands on what's popular and gets sales. That's really what it comes down to. 

Hell, it could be two dudes banging pots together and screaming with shitty make-up/outfits and it could be defined as visual kei just based on that.

22 minutes ago, tetsu_sama69 said:

Hell, it could be two dudes banging pots together and screaming with shitty make-up/outfits and it could be defined as visual kei just based on that.

I may be mistaken, but I think there's already a band that matches that description, it's called Deviloof

jokes aside, the big picture of vk bands generally follows western trends, and we are experiencing something like the end of djent era, right? whatever comes after that would be a safe bet

Edited by chemicalpictures

All I'm seeing rn is what I call screamo-kei, boy band-kei, and kotekei copybands trying to bring it back from the dead, slowly but surely. (Basically what everyone's been saying so far on this thread :3)

I also see church-kei bands fading out more and more as they (ie. new bands) get shittier and shittier with their production quality and lack of popularity, and some are even going so far as to adopting current trends like screaming and such.