Sign in to follow this  
Himeaimichu

What exact was Soleil Records?

So if you've ever delved into KoteKei, you'll have probably come across Soleil records. They were an indie label in the 90's that held some of the best and most influential bands. They had bands like La'Mule, Vasalla, I think Birushana and for a while Madeth Gray'll. But, what exactly were they? What is the basic industry? Who owned them? I'd like to learn more. 

Thanks in advance

Soleil was a sub-label of Free-Will, and was owned by Kaiki (高橋浩一郎/Takahashi Koichiro), bassist of Silver~Rose, Rouage and With Sexy.
Kaiki would later appoint Kisaki as the head of his Osaka branch office, Matina Soleil and the rest was history.

Edited by helcchi

Soleil also has a bunch of sub-labels, sometimes for specific bands, sometimes based on location, and other times for groups of "like" bands much like Matina did.

@inartisticwould know much more, but according to his site, Soleil's sub-labels included:

-imagé (D'esquel, Hysteric Blame, La'Mule, etc)

-inner dream group (A label that formed after the Soleil label closed to produce the remaining active bands)

-LOVE BAZOOKA (sub-label specifically for YURA)

-SLiT (Sub-label specifically for La'Mule)

-tulip records (Sub-label specifically for S)

-Under Garden (sub-label specifically for 美流沙女)

-GIGA BRAIN (sub-label specifically for ゲノ)

So while it may seem weird that Kuroyuuri to Kage and Lycaon both got their own special vanity sub-labels, getting your own special tax haven distribution and marketing angle was pretty popular in the late 90s. 

I'll try tonight to type up something more in depth about the label (might post at weloveucp.com depending on its length though).

Sign in to follow this