madygrain

Yomi (NIGHTMARE) solo project TAKE NO BREAK has formed and new single release

Okay why so much hate on YOMI's vocals? He's better than most VK singers, at least it isn't one continuous voice crack like most of the indies bands are spewing out these days

Nightmare in general is very despised overall, even though they are much more capable, consistent and proven than most VK groups and quite a few regular Jrock bands. Being very popular (at least a few years back) but not being absolutely excellent also makes them an easy target. I am also quite sure that during the late 2000's when VK was more popular they were seen as a "band noobs like" because their music was a geatway into VK for many people due to anime. Most of the older VK fans at the time started to be actively dismissive in Nightmare topics because they associated the band with ignorance about the scene. The trend has persisted as the band's output has been much less consistant but it still existed in 2008, 2009 when their music was more solid and cohesive.

There are also people who just don't like the band or Yomi's vocals. 

Also keep in mind that negative reactions are much more motivating than positive ones and people are much more inclined to show opposition than interest, specially on the internet. This creates a climate that does not encourage constructive talk about the band because bad impressions pile up so much that people who may want to say other kind of thigs feel out of place.

Happens in every communty in every place on the internet; everything is, to a degree,  a sort of echo chamber of negative feedback.

TL;DR - Some peole think Nightmare was too popular for how good they are. Also, it's the internet.

1 hour ago, TheZigzagoon said:

Okay why so much hate on YOMI's vocals? He's better than most VK singers, at least it isn't one continuous voice crack like most of the indies bands are spewing out these days

he's been sounding like shit for a few years now, which is partially hidden by weird sound production on some tracks, partially left as is.

before that he was a pretty good vk vocalist (considering they always delivered as a live band, even in the indies days).

11 minutes ago, madygrain said:

Nightmare in general is very despised overall

how so

most of negative feedback I've seen on them only concerns recent two or three albums — and the abundant re-re-re-re-release cashgrabbing avex has been especially fond of with them.

Yomi was never a really great singer to begin with. But music-wise, just compare Raven Loud Speeeaker or any Anima song with any recent song, and you'll understand why they get so much flak. People of course exaggerate, but the drop in quality is evident.

4 hours ago, TheZigzagoon said:

People just like to bitch and moan more than anything else.

2 hours ago, madygrain said:

Happens in every communty in every place on the internet; everything is, to a degree,  a sort of echo chamber of negative feedback.

This is more true than anything else.

2 hours ago, nekkichi said:

most of negative feedback I've seen on them only concerns recent two or three albums — and the abundant re-re-re-re-release cashgrabbing avex has been especially fond of with them.

Just one of the many shitty things Avex is known for, sadly >.>

6 hours ago, TheZigzagoon said:

I'm agree with u I really like his distinctive voice, his vocal range and his falsetto range is very calm and controlled past that point not like many vk singers but you can't deny since 2013 his voice has begun to deteriorate in quality, becoming much more nasal and fragile.

I don't know if you watched their pre-hiatus live NIGHTMARE Final "Not The End" I really had pity for him because in some songs he sung out of tune or had problems for reach high notes

6 hours ago, nekkichi said:

he's been sounding like shit for a few years now, which is partially hidden by weird sound production on some tracks, partially left as is.

1 hour ago, Lereku said:

I'm agree with u I really like his distinctive voice, his vocal range and his falsetto range is very calm and controlled past that point not like many vk singers but you can't deny since 2013 his voice has begun to deteriorate in quality, becoming much more nasal and fragile.

I don't know if you watched their pre-hiatus live NIGHTMARE Final "Not The End" I really had pity for him because in some songs he sung out of tune or had problems for reach high notes

As someone who has spent a day watching every NIGHTMARE live in chronological order, I can tell you this:

2003: Yomi had no control/vocal technique, he was shaky 

2004: Still shaky but you could tell he'd begun to find a technique that worked for him

2005-2008: He seemed to have his vocals very clean, really nice vibrato and amazing falsetto

2009 (There best performance, that being Majestical Parade tour final at Budokan): Yomi performed his best here, just listen to his voice in Wasurena Kusa and Melody (that unplugged melody was simply beautiful)

2010 pre Makuhari Messe: His voice had harshned a tad, but was still good.

2010 Makuhari performance: Yomi lost control over his voice a little, a few signs of wear (This shouldve been the beginning of hiatus period. Thanks Avex)

2012: Yomi had a harsher voice than usual, but still delivered great at Budokan (Suna was phenomenal)

2013-2014: First signs of his voice condition worsening, lots of voice cracks, nasally vocals (Kyokutou Ranshin Tengoku and HATE were poorly performed at Nakano Sun Plaza, DIRTY was awful at Tokyo Inter. Forum Hall A)

2015-2016 (hiatus period) Shit had hit the fan for YOMI unfortunately, his voice was uncontrollable (Love Tripper at the Awakening of Clowns final at Toyosu Pit was a struggle for YOMI, his falsetto attempts just turned to breathy vocals)

In short, NIGHTMARE were really good up to 2009, but shouldve gone on hiatus around 2010/2011 after their Makuhari Messe Performance, it was cruel for Avex to keep churning out their later material.

22 minutes ago, TheZigzagoon said:

As someone who has spent a day watching every NIGHTMARE live in chronological order, I can tell you this:

2003: Yomi had no control/vocal technique, he was shaky 

2004: Still shaky but you could tell he'd begun to find a technique that worked for him

2005-2008: He seemed to have his vocals very clean, really nice vibrato and amazing falsetto

2009 (There best performance, that being Majestical Parade tour final at Budokan): Yomi performed his best here, just listen to his voice in Wasurena Kusa and Melody (that unplugged melody was simply beautiful)

2010 pre Makuhari Messe: His voice had harshned a tad, but was still good.

2010 Makuhari performance: Yomi lost control over his voice a little, a few signs of wear (This shouldve been the beginning of hiatus period. Thanks Avex)

2012: Yomi had a harsher voice than usual, but still delivered great at Budokan (Suna was phenomenal)

2013-2014: First signs of his voice condition worsening, lots of voice cracks, nasally vocals (Kyokutou Ranshin Tengoku and HATE were poorly performed at Nakano Sun Plaza, DIRTY was awful at Tokyo Inter. Forum Hall A)

2015-2016 (hiatus period) Shit had hit the fan for YOMI unfortunately, his voice was uncontrollable (Love Tripper at the Awakening of Clowns final at Toyosu Pit was a struggle for YOMI, his falsetto attempts just turned to breathy vocals)

In short, NIGHTMARE were really good up to 2009, but shouldve gone on hiatus around 2010/2011 after their Makuhari Messe Performance, it was cruel for Avex to keep churning out their later material.

Glad to meet a another NIGHTMARE fan, once again I'm totally agree with you and I'm not really surprise about Avex don't allow them to take break much early when in 2015 Hitsugi had a herniated disc their management don't gave him rest and calm for he can recover good about that

29 minutes ago, Lereku said:

Glad to meet a another NIGHTMARE fan, once again I'm totally agree with you and I'm not really surprise about Avex don't allow them to take break much early when in 2015 Hitsugi had a herniated disc their management don't gave him rest and calm for he can recover good about that

NIGHTMARE are my favourite VK band, and also my first. I've listened to every song they've ever released (Kadan is my favourite indies song of theirs).  Avex are an unhealthy company, I'm sad that Kuroyume is also signed to them, but at least Kiyoharu wrote 'I HATE YOUR POP STAR LIFE', it's a real middle finger to Avex, I just wish NIGHTMARE had fought the same battle.

15 hours ago, nekkichi said:

how so

The last two or three albums was whet it got more "vicious".

I follow them very closely and in my experience, ever since Killer Show this band has been doomed for a very vocal group of peole. Since the abandoned the libido-anima-World Ruler negativity was very present in any conversation about this band. 

It got worse with the last 3 albums because those were much less popular all around so the tone of the conversation around them got worse.

On the re-release thing, yeah it got bad, just like Yomi's vocals

I suspect TAKE NO BREAK will focus on a style that puts no stress into Yomi's vocal chords so I would expect something more "Chiba sounding".

Edited by madygrain

honest question, am i the only one who thinks part of this hiatus is mea's way of doing like lycaon or alice nine & trying to get out of their label? i mean that's 100% just me with a tinfoil hat jumping to conclusions w/o anything to back it but i dunno, it seems possible to me.

Also for the record i'm i guess one of the other naitomea fans on here; my favourite stuff all comes either from anima or before ultimate circus but i never had a moment or a certain release where i lost interest. World Ruler thru their self-titled is probably my least favourite part of their catalogue but their ballad game was always strong.

1 hour ago, diryangrey said:

honest question, am i the only one who thinks part of this hiatus is mea's way of doing like lycaon or alice nine & trying to get out of their label? i mean that's 100% just me with a tinfoil hat jumping to conclusions w/o anything to back it but i dunno, it seems possible to me.

Also for the record i'm i guess one of the other naitomea fans on here; my favourite stuff all comes either from anima or before ultimate circus but i never had a moment or a certain release where i lost interest. World Ruler thru their self-titled is probably my least favourite part of their catalogue but their ballad game was always strong.

I sometimes wish Nightmare had stayed with Nippon Crown, the stuff they released with them was some good stuff. But Avex was the biggest mistake Nightmare could make, they only care about money and would let NIGHTMARE release stuff no matter on what the quality was like. 

I'd love to think they did it to back out of the label, but I can tell it is also because Yomi just can't do without a break.

2 hours ago, diryangrey said:

honest question, am i the only one who thinks part of this hiatus is mea's way of doing like lycaon or alice nine & trying to get out of their label?

their contract likely implies a fixed number of new albums, not the calendar years before they can switch their label w/o paying breach fees.

i'm not even sure avex is that brutal when it comes to treating their artists, Gackt barely releases shit for example.

I'm cool with the original explanation, let's speculate on the real reasons i.e. how microaggressions and cross-mitsu std contamination ruined their team spirit ((UwU)))))

Just like @nekkichisays, Avex probably just signed them for a set number of albums. And it also probably isjust  a distribution deal.

Their CD credits have not changed all that much since the VAP days and the most key positions in regards to them in their management agency, C-BLOCK are the same too. 

Nightmare has allways worked a lot recording and touring. If anything, I would blame C-BLOCK. But The Kiddie was also con C-BLOCK and AFAIK never released as much so I gess Nightmare just like being very productive (?)

I mean, thats the most naive thing I could say but I can not think of other reason.

On the other hand, Yomi is known for not being very propular with mitsus. ºwº

Edited by madygrain

26 minutes ago, madygrain said:

Avex probably just signed them for a set number of albums. And it also probably isjust  a distribution deal.

Is not only a distribution deal they are sign under Avex when you go in Avex web site you can find them in the artists list, they only way for they can move is that Avex break their contrat like they do when a artists or a bands is not lucrative enough or if their singles/albums sales decreases.

34 minutes ago, madygrain said:

But The Kiddie was also con C-BLOCK and AFAIK never released as much so I gess Nightmare just like being very productive (?)

I don't think they are only very productive like big or popular major artists/bands they have a crazy realease schedule:

- 3 singles with  several months apart

- one album pear year

I wouldn't have disdain for Yomi's singing style he hadn't been among my favorite vocalists 10 years ago, I still give every one of their releases a listen but he often makes it difficult with how forced his tone is and his vibrato which I loved is more droning than before.

Actually if I go back and listen to a nightmare song usually it's Lulu haha

4 hours ago, nekkichi said:

their contract likely implies a fixed number of new albums, not the calendar years before they can switch their label w/o paying breach fees.

my thoughts were... that'd explain the three best-ofs & two singles w/ no album to go on, plus the usual album + live recorded CDs, all released in something like a year. Possibly a contract may have been for a certain number of albums over a length of time, and the band pushed those releases more quickly to be able to have the remaining time off.
but yeah that's the limits of my """proof"""

3 hours ago, madygrain said:

Their CD credits have not changed all that much since the VAP days and the most key positions in regards to them in their management agency, C-BLOCK are the same too. 

that's an good point, thanks! i wish i could make more sense of CD credits bc all that label/management stuff of who's working with who is somehow real interesting to me.

25 minutes ago, diryangrey said:

my thoughts were... that'd explain the three best-ofs & two singles w/ no album to go on, plus the usual album + live recorded CDs,

Generally best-of, single and live recorded CD are not included in the number of album that the group owes to its label, and for a label release best-of albums is a easy way for make cash especialy when the band or the artist quit the label like Nippon Crown did the best-of [GIANIZM: Nightmare no Kuse ni Namaiki Dazo] was released some time after NIGHTMARE signed on VAP

9 hours ago, madygrain said:

Just like @nekkichisays, Avex probably just signed them for a set number of albums. And it also probably isjust  a distribution deal.

Nightmare has allways worked a lot recording and touring. If anything, I would blame C-BLOCK. But The Kiddie was also con C-BLOCK and AFAIK never released as much so I gess Nightmare just like being very productive (?)

I mean, thats the most naive thing I could say but I can not think of other reason.

On the other hand, Yomi is known for not being very propular with mitsus. ºwº

Probs a n00b question but what is a "mitsu" and why is Yomi unpopular with them?

I'm so sorry to hear about his voice problem. I've always like Nightmare and I wish the best for them. I've always had good thoughts about Yomi (=positive feedback for me). Anyway, that was his choice and this is the fact. We can't handle with it :-) So I accept his choice and I'm happy to do this :-D

Details of their live limited single have been revealed

20170704103713%E3%82%B7%E3%82%99%E3%83%A

01. BREAK THE LIMIT
02. Brave New World
03. FiVE

1500 yens

MTV had an interview with them were they said Boom Boom Satellites will be an influence for them so this will surely be... interesting knowing Jun's/Yomi's career so far.

That kind of style would explain how he is able to still sing while trying to recover his chords.

That CD cover artwork looks pretty amateurish...

On 4/2/2017 at 7:23 PM, Lereku said:

Like I said is only a rumor and I don't think one day we will have a response about Sakito and Hitsugi drama, I'm totally agree with u for what u said about Yomi condition but I think before he takes this decision he go see a doctor for have a medical advice for know if he can be able for sing.

What drama? I need the "sauces".