Zeus

Memorable Millenial Kei Vocalists

10th Anniversary Favorite Vocalist Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Check all of your favorites (if your favorite is not listed, list it below!)

• 郁磨 (Ikuma)
    • 壱-hajime-
    • Ryuga
    • 一葵 (Kazuki)
    • YUKI
    • 芥 (Akuta)
    • Ryoga

tumblr_onoyllPHma1rfey86o1_r1_1280.png

As we celebrate Monochrome Heaven's 10th anniversary, ORZ will take a moment to reflect on the last decade. One thing we all have in common is that Monochrome Heaven was instrumental in helping us shape our tastes, so we're going to share with you some vocalists we really like. These aren't necessarily the best vocalists per se, but they are ones that we enjoy and that we hope you will too!

Cqu3WmH.jpg

郁磨 (Ikuma)

Years active: 2005 to present

Notable bands: アンド (And) and REIGN

I remember very clearly when I first heard CODE「B」while I was randomly fumbling about on youtube looking at random visual kei bands and was instantly hooked on Ikuma's somewhat filthy sounding clean vocals and standout growls. He started out in small lesser known bands ジゼル (Gisele) and ブロッケン (Blocken) whose ashes were reborn as アンド (And)アンド (And) is still one of my favorite bands and probably always will be sadly they didn't last too long after going major and Ikuma moved on to form his current band REIGN. I was unsure of REIGN at first because it felt very generic but as time as gone on Ikuma has seemed to figure out the right direction and with every release they just get more amazing. I am really looking forward to what else Ikuma will bring forth in the future because he certainly seems intent to live and thrive in the visual scene and it's nothing a disbandment will ever stop him from doing.

@tetsu_sama69

Triggah-triggah-29868138-280-420.jpg

壱-hajime-

Years active: 2005-present

Notable bands: TRIGGAH, THE GLADROW, 壱-hajime- solo project

When your biggest claim to fame is a band that has a problem keeping it together long enough to get noticed, it's understandable that no one knows who you are. By design or by really horrible luck, 壱-hajime- has been honing his chops as a visual kei vocalist since 2005 with his first band Die La'Vice. Visual kei historians will recognize that naming schema as a remnant of the nineties, and that quality reflects in his singing style. It's got some older and some modern sensibilities that mix together in a way that's unmistakably visual, but not from any particular time period and without any particular dominating influence. It's truly unique, with the only shortcoming being the harsh vocals which I would only describe as okay (and even this has improved). I want to hear more of 壱-hajime- in the upcoming years for sure!

@Zeus

iconoclasm_ryuga.jpg

Ryuga

Years Active: 2008 to present

Notable bands: Sel'm

When Tora, the previous vocalist for Sel'm, left the band in 2011 I was devastated. As one of my favorite VK vocalists, I had no idea how the band was going to fill the hole that he left. Ryuga stepped in and I was shocked by how good of a replacement they had found - his singing voice had a very similar melodic tone to it, albeit a bit deeper. While I would say that Ryuga overall tone wasn't quite as nice as Tora's, he made up for it in versatility. Ryuga's scream and growls were much better and allowed the band to delve in to heavier work than they felt comfortable exploring before.  What I though was doing to be something devastating for the band turned out to be the opposite, and Ryuga quickly became one of my favorite new vocalist. While Sel'm called it quits in 2016, I am excited to see where Ryuga goes from here.

@Ito

cyb8sv9uaaqmdx_.jpg

一葵 (Kazuki)

Years Active: 2012 - Present

Notable Bands: Belmosaic, ザアザア (XAA-XAA)

XAA-XAA may be known for their strong conceptual imagery and tight musicianship, but it was Kazuki's emotive vocals that drew me to the band. Actually, they drew me to XAA-XAA because I had been such a big fan of XAA-XAA's previous incarnation, Belmosaic. Since visual kei can tend to faver high-pitch, nasally frontmen, any time I hear mid to low range vocalists my ears perk up. While Kazuki may not have the strongest voice in the scene, he has a dexterity to his voice that can jump from sweet lullabies to spastic gut-twisting screams in a split second where many other vocalists usually have a clear talent for only one or the other.

@doombox

83220150906115817.jpg

YUKI

Years Active: 2007 - Present

Notable Bands:  Mix Speaker's, Inc., リライゾ (Liraizo)

Unfortunately, I cant seem to find much information on Yuki's pre-Mix Speaker's, Inc. days, though it's of little consequence as it was his time with MSI that caught most people's attention to begin with. Being a part of a dual vocal team was already fairly impressive, but only after I saw the band live did I truly appreciate how stable and strong Yuki's voice really is. And ever since leaving to pursue a band where he is now the sole frontman with Liraizo, Yuki only seems to be proving he's good enough to keep all eyes on him for years to come.

@doombox

c7cbjfru4aasn7u.jpg

芥 (Akuta)

Years Active: 2008 - Present

Notable Bands: Administrator, Chanty

Probably most noted as 'that vk band that sounds like an indie band' around here, Chanty and their vocalist have been rising in popularity, and rightfully so. Akuta does not waste his time with half-assed bands. I fell in love with his voice from his previous work with Administrator (a solid band that was painfully written off as Danger Crue's attempt at SID 2.0), but it wasn't until Chanty did he really start pushing the envelope and developing a style outside of what we all stereotypically know, and love, as the classic visual kei 'sound.' And I feel it's paid off in spades. Akuta's voice has always been powerful but now has a texture and tonality as unique as the rest of his band.

@doombox

Ryoga-born-29883098-357-482.jpg

Ryoga

Years Active: 2006 - Present

Notable Bands: BORN, RAZOR

In a scene full of very questionable vocalists, few have promise and/or natural talent. Ryoga is one that has both. He was always my favorite member of BORN. His saccharine, yet emotive vocals are what initially drew me to the band. I've watched them from afar purely because of him, and it's amazing to hear how far he's come since RENNY AMY. When BORN disbanded, my biggest concern was that he would quit music entirely. I've since followed him to RAZOR, elated that he's found another project with prominent and talented musicians, and I'm witnessing him go through a third transformation. If he would stick to clean singing, I could listen to him all day.  One of the most criminally underrated vocalists in the visual scene for sure!
@Zeus

:3 Thanks for reading and feel free to share yours too! (Please put all videos in spoilers so the page doesn't slow to a crawl) :3

^^ I also really like Kuroyuri to Kage's vocals. Mei is a really good vocalist and a good screamer. I often hear people complain his screaming doesn't have enough power, but they kind of miss the point. Mei's screams are influenced from that of Johnathan Davis from Korn. They're not meant to be powerful.

Another favourite "millenial" vocalist of mine is Chiaki from Dezert. I love how feminine his vocals are and he sounds almost the same on stage as he does in studio. 

3 hours ago, Takadanobabaalien said:

How is there a topic like this without a mention of Takuma (srsly come back soon)!

タクマ (Takuma)

→ LUV'ra-Doll → RusH → バビロン (BABYLON)

Ugh I still miss Takuma/BABYLON ;_; His voice is killer.

Surprisingly, no one mentioned the king of art-kei vocals yet, my boy temari:

Spoiler

I have a knack for vocalists who can actually pull off rap sections in vk songs without sounding like shit, so I'd like to mention Maru (ex-bis) and Yoshito (ex-xTRiPx) they also doesn't sound like your usual annoying high-pitched vocalists, having a more raspy tone, which is also a plus in my book:

Spoiler

On a more classic vk shouter note, I think Mikaru really deserves a mention. The guy is a beast, wish he'd stop wasting his talents in shit like glams:

Spoiler

last but not least, the one I think has the most range bar none on the scene. One of the few I actually believe had vocal training before starting a career, or something like that. Megamasso's Inzargi:

Spoiler

Edited by chemicalpictures

Viored's Kei - 10 years on, Kimikage Kusa still tugs on the heartstrings

Spoiler

Aota Yuu - Betty, 176BIZ, Zuck

Spoiler

Otogi - Awoi

Spoiler

btw@Zeus, the photo you added was Tomozo. Hajime is this one: Triggah-triggah-29868147-280-420.jpg

Edited by helcchi

2 hours ago, helcchi said:

Viored's Kei - 10 years on, Kimikage Kusa still tugs on the heartstrings

Reveal hidden contents

Aota Yuu - Betty, 176BIZ, Zuck

Reveal hidden contents

Otogi - Awoi

Hide contents

btw@Zeus, the photo you added was Tomozo. Hajime is this one: Triggah-triggah-29868147-280-420.jpg

Kanashii uta, the very first song I listened to by Awoi and my favourite. It was in december 2006 that I listened to it for the first time.

i'll think about my other faves at a later point but just based on the poll, kazuki and especially akuta. absolute shitrippers. still remember the first time i heard owari no hajimari. the drama in that song and akuta's vox is unbelievable. (quick note: poll only seems to let you vote for one, even though you intended to make it so you can vote for however many?)

オトギ (otogi)

active : 2003 to 2014

Notables band : アヲイ (awoi)

Otogi-awoi-35581938-235-335.jpg

He start his activites in 2003 by joining a rock band, then he formed his first band Maria「…」nette and finally starting his decennium band アヲイ.

One of the deepest voice of visual kei scene. Their beginning years song were so melancholic, I felt in love with their 1st maxi-single 真っ暗、真っ黒、真っ赤々な朝.

No news since the disbanding, in hiatus or retire, IDK.

----------------------------------------------------------------

mar

active: 2004 to 2011, retired

Notables band : It, As If In The Darkness

as_if_in_the_darkness_376033.jpg

Probably considerate as one of the worst or creepiest vk voice, there is others voice like him.

It (the band) released his first mini-album この果てしなく広い世界で in 2007 which his a jewel of deep and melancholic.

----------------------------------------------

緋絽 (hiro)

active : 2002 to now

Notables band: Visage, gossip, ヴァリル

hiro.jpg

My favorite songs from him were at the end of Visage band (GAME and Reversal Film (UCP related)).

I liked a lot his gossip era.

-----------------------------

龍司 (ryuuji)

active : 2008/2011, retired

Notable band : Re:dis

ryuuji_re_dis_27412.jpg?11290096157

best pigscreamer from vk, can't say more  ahah

a quite good singer

leave the band in 2011, stop all his activity and never give news

Ikuma chan!!!! Honestly Ryoga, Sho from Golden bomber and I was going to say Arimura from plastic tree but I found out that bands been around for 24 years :O. SPeaking of around 24, Keiya from purple stone <3 his voice is sooo dreamy @_@         

+1 for Keiya.

I voted for Kazuki, because I like him most from this pool and his voice really is emotional, but I also want to mention Chisa here. You look at him for the first time and expect to hear typical for vkei nasal vocals, but you hear something WAY different. xD

Also Yoshiatsu. His voice was just made for DADAROMA's ballads.

Voted Akuta but I like Kazuki and Ryoga a lot too. 

Honorable mentions:

Emiru (whatever his name is in Yeti) from AICLE/Yeti.

Sou from Lolita 23Q/Remming

Ryuuji during his Soroban days was great too 

Yuuki in early Lycaon days as well. He started singing high pitched and whiny and I stopped liking him.

Yuu from 176Biz/Betty/ZUCK

I also really like Yumehito's voice when he sang for AYABIE, kinda short lived.

Oh and of course Icchi from Canzel. I don't really listen to UNiTE because I don't like Yui's voice that much.

9ab0eb21daed3290e206d252e603c29b.jpg

YOMI

Active: 2000 - Present

Notable bands: NIGHTMARE, TAKE NO BREAK

I've noticed that a lot of people  on MH dislike YOMI's vocals, often noting that they aren't fond of his vibrato vocals or they believe he sounds nasally (he is a tad nasally from 2013 onwards) and people find it off putting. However, I am a huge fan of YOMI's vocals, it was his voice that was my gateway to VK and I still, to this day, love it. NIGHTMARE are one of my favourite VK bands, it's just a shame that they're going to be forever tied up in the "anime hype", visit the video for 'the World' and 'Alumina' on YouTube and the comments are swamped with Death Note, and I feel that they will always be "the band that did the themes for Death Note".

Regardless of all that, I have a special place in my heart for YOMI, because if I hadn't heard him, I don't think I'd have gotten in to VK as much as I am now.

What classifies as 'millennial'? If it's post 2010 – I was thinking this yesterday – I'd say Chisa from DIV. 

He's really brilliant with his tender melodies but surprisingly powerful when he wants to be. Great range and totally unlike anything else I've heard in the scene.

I ctrl+F'd this page and it had no Juri (ex-DELUHI)

Spoiler

SMH guys. One of the best, least nasal vk-core vocalists right there.

Edited by Alroy

I'm surprised there hasn't been a mention of Jui (ex-Vidoll) here yet. He had a really good range and multi-faceted voice to me, and admittingly so, I believe that he sounds a little different and more limited now after his throat surgery in 2010.

Overall, he still has a unique voice. I have yet to find anyone that sounds even remotely similar to him.

So I'm guessing millennial means vocalists that were active around 2005-present? Here are a few memorable ones for me that are lesser known.

Saki (active 2004-2010)

Bands: Clorican, ClearVeil

While he's not the best screamer, and may sometimes make you wonder: does this dude even know how to scream? (but ironically makes him memorable), his clean vocals are to die for. And even more, when he reaches those higher notes. I miss him so much and want him back.

Spoiler

Raya (active 2004-present)

Bands: L'eprica, ANGRAYSE, D'efend Chroma, Sierra de Cobre

If you like art-kei vocals, Raya is not to be missed. He's currently back with L'eprica members and plays with bands Emmuree, DISH, and Sioux, but still no sign of them releasing any new material. Still, I can only hope.

Spoiler

Amonn (active 2001-present?, but probably only became well-known with the band MELLO in 2006)

Bands: Diod'honneur, MELLO, Trompe l'oeil

Another art-kei vocalist that shouldn't be missed. Very deep and powerful vocals with amazing delivery. I haven't heard anything from his recent band Trompe l'oeil, but I hope they didn't completely disappear and are still active and planning something new.

Spoiler

Oh, and I voted for Ryoga. I don't know much about the other ones, but I'm growing to like Kazuki. I favor Tora over Ryuga so I didn't vote him. They're both great vocalists, but I've always thought Tora was more compelling and emotive.

Edited by plastic_rainbow