Sign in to follow this  
doombox

Recommended Tracks: March 2017

tumblr_onoyllPHma1rfey86o2_1280.png

:lright:Welcome back the Official Review Team's monthly Recommended Tracks series!:lleft:

We hope you've all been well and enjoying this month's music. Here are some more songs we want to make sure you didn't miss. 

@tetsu_sama69's Picks

"のんれむはぐるま" by ナイトメアシンドローム
"Nonrem Haguruma" by Nightmare Syndrome

22.jpg

tetsu_sama69 said:

'Holy shit, what am I listening to, dear lord this noise is so good to my soul!' That's the only thought that comes to mind when listening to Nightmare Syndrome, a new visual band born from the ashes of Melvel. There's definitely some of the weird trippiness from Melvel in the band injected with a bit of darkness. Despite the release being overall enjoyable, the track that I found the most interesting was "Nonrem Haguruma". Something about the bells mixed with organ synths and headbanging metal just gripped me. There's a 'chant' kind of vibe that flows within the rhythmic melody that keeps me putting it on repeat.

Spoiler

"VOMITER" by THE BLACK SWAN

C5l_2PqVMAEef1J.jpg

tetsu_sama69 said:

Ever wanted to get punched in the face with awesome? That's how I felt when "VOMITER" kicked on from THE BLACK SWAN's new single RAGE.  'Rebirth' is spoken at the start of the song by vocalist Jin and I'm sure it's a reference about himself since he used to describe himself as 'vomiter' instead of vocalist. The track itself is a clusterfuck of infectious bass lines, a whirlwind of guitars, and downright insane vocals and screaming that bounce around more than a small child hopped up on their favorite candy... and I love it. If you're in the mood for a mess of a song then you're in the right place, especially since it's what THE BLACK SWAN does so well.

Spoiler

"滅亡のブルース" by ラッコ
"Metsubou no Blues" by LACK-CO.

20161215_lackco_01.jpg

tetsu_sama69 said:

If there is something Ten Ten can do well, it's write an amazing ballad and it's even more surprising when the LACKluster group he is in manages to make it even better. So far I haven't been a big fan of what LACK-CO. has brought to the table. It's not anything terrible but it's not anything to write home about, that is, until now. "Metsubou no Blues" is a pure musical treat that I have trouble resisting the urge to take another taste of because it's just that addicting. The beautiful clean instrumentals really shine in this song especially the dual guitars that make light gentle sprinkles of awesome even when it comes to the solo at the tracks climax. If LACK-CO. brings more fresh melodies to the front like "Metsubou no Blues" then in good time they might find themselves with another long time fan.

Spoiler

"強くてNEW GAME " by メトロノーム
"Tsuyokute NEW GAME" by Metronome

tumblr_onp0isUi5D1rfey86o1_1280.jpg

tetsu_sama69 said:

If you want to dig some dank tech kei then go no further than Metronome. The band has made a full comeback with their new album CONTINUE which is a blaze of empowered bleepy goodness. Overall, the album is a golden gift from music heaven but what stood out for me was "Tsuyokute NEW GAME". I've been on the hype train since the band came back kicking and swinging with awesome tracks and I wasn't let down. If anything the song only shows that they're ready to bring up their A game with something that feels so... Metronome. The track itself is a tornado of game/pc sound effects with standout instrumentals and simple vocals that Sharaku is well known for. The addition of heavily synthed vocals from bassist RIU and Guitarist Fukusuke only seem to add a little extra sugar to this already fine cake of music and seem to only show how together this group is. If you've been needing your Metronome fix since 2009 CONTINUE is a great place to get it from with fun songs like "Tsuyokute NEW GAME" to take you for a ride.

Spoiler

@fictioninhope's Picks

"Surrender" by FAKY

NekoPOP-FAKY-2016-You.jpg

fictioninhope said:

I had lost my love of j-pop in an overwhelming sea of idol hell for a long time. My queens Ayu and Kuu hadn't done anything to keep me optimistic on my future as a lover of trash pop. And then I found FAKY and got punched in the face with some mega girl power reminiscent of when the Spice Girls kicked asses and took names. It was instant love and I was craving something new from these talented girls. And boy, did they deliver! "Surrender" seduces you with beauty and grace, then pulls out the big guns to really hook you in through the end. Bonus points to my baby girl Lil'Fang for the Home Depot racing jacket.

Spoiler

"animus" by FAMM'IN

aramajapan_fammin-animus-promo.jpg

fictioninhope said:

Let me just scream as loud as possible into the sun about how fantastic this supergroup - consisting of FEMM, FAKY and Yup'in - is. Their first venture together, "Circle", was essentially flaw-free and I think my parents officially hate me because of it. "animus" follows on the same path of awesomeness (and probably on the same path of 'please for the love of the father the son and the holy spirit play something else!!!!' too).  They're classified as 'gagaku trap' and while I'm not entirely sure I have a clue what that really entails, I 100% enjoy the beautiful mess that's been created. "animus" isn't nearly as polished-sounding as "Circle". Both songs have a ton going on in them and their first track definitely pulled it off the best but "animus" definitely has me jamming along with the volume and bass cranked up.

Spoiler

@emmny's Picks

"真っ赤な嘘" by アルルカン
"Makkana Uso" by Arlequin

20161023_arlequin_01.jpg

emmny said:

I think it was around this time last year that I was going #awf about Arlequin's single "Paranoia" and crying about how change has finally come for the stagnant group...then right after they went on to flop some more with Kyoukaisen. But we're back on Arlequin's good side with their pretty solid double-single release of Makkana uso and Kageboushi. "Makkana uso" is a catchy, derivative of old-school visual kei with its 90's groove and wonky guitar lead. The song doesn't develop enough and kind of repeats the chorus into oblivion but it works with Aki's vocals, and in the end, it's the musical equivalent of crack cocaine. I remember in the days of Arlequin's debut when they'd name-drop classic bands like Rouage as an influence on their sound, but it was a struggle to discern that influence in the midst of all the bleep bloops in their earlier work. It was always hiding deep down there, but I'm enjoying hearing it come out more and more over time.

Spoiler

"孤独癖のメメント・モリ" by CANIVAL
"Kodokuheki no Memento Mori" by CANIVAL

C30A_nRVcAAgS8h.jpg

emmny said:

CANIVAL came out of the gate pretty strong with a solid streak of great MV tracks and that continues with their first single under the CANIVAL name (fka HIZ), "Kodokuheki no memento mori". I might just be biased toward Shiki, but his smooth vocals fit perfectly into their metal-kei formula and they end up sounding a lot more polished over all as a result. Overall, it's nothing to write home about, but a solid contribution to the current metal indies scene and definitely a recommendation toward most visual fans.

Spoiler

"優しい世界" by シェルミィ
"Yasashii Sekai" by Shellmy

20170202_shellmy.jpg

emmny said:

New queens of menhera-kei, the recently revived (and criminally underrated) Shellmy have come out with a new single, and as usual, a gorgeous music video to drag R-Shitei's edgelord status through the dirt. Led by vocalist and main writer Hyo, "Yasashii sekai" follows the style and the buzz off menhera anthem "Fashion Maisurii" in its sing-talk social commentary about depression, suicide, isolation, counterculture, japanese society and relationships. Hyo has a sharp ear for melody as well as an interesting bite in his lyrics that contrasts with his ambivalent vocals and all that is in opposition to the pretty happy sounding instrumental. The end result is a dark and pretty depressing yet totally catchy anthem against the so-called 'kind world' we live in. 

Spoiler

:staru:  Guest Submissions :staru:

"Calling" by Vamps

tumblr_onp0isUi5D1rfey86o3_r1_1280.jpg

Ada Suilen said:

The rock duo composed by Hyde and K.A.Z follows up their successful moment, which brought them to be more known to an international audience, with three great duets, along with ApocalypticaChris Motionless and Richard Kruspe from Rammstein. With this single they get back on their own, where the lead track represents the sure assimilation of Western elements inside their energetic sound, with a beating rhythm and Hyde sings with raging and piercing tones (probably the reason why I appreciate him as singer). A sure reason to be hooked on Vamps' music.

Spoiler

"ぐちゃぐちゃ" by ザアザア
"Guchagucha" by XAA-XAA

tumblr_onp0isUi5D1rfey86o2_r1_1280.jpg

Ada Suilen said:

After three years of great success in the scene, the dark and grotesque visual band XAA-XAA releases the first full album, which represents a great improvement for their style and sound. What hit me most in this interesting album has been the lead-track, with a great balance between harder and softer tempos, where both the vocals and the instruments fit very well each other for a great macabre-ish theme, which will characterize this band's career.

Spoiler

If you'd like to submit songs for next month's recommendations list please contact @doombox for more information.

Thanks for stopping by, we hope you enjoyed! 

:music2:

Sign in to follow this