Sign in to follow this  
-jibakurei-

Renting an apartment in Tokyo

Fellow friends and fuckers♥ 

I slowly run out of ideas where to rent a furnished apartment inTokyo. I did the google and got most guesthouses covered, but I thought maybe some of you have an insider tipp concerning where to live for one year. 

Since airbnb has some new rules (staying at one place for a max of 180 days) and already checking most guesthouses google showed to me, I still won't give up looking for a place for 2 people with 2 bedrooms for a reasonable price. 

Our criteria are:

• not too noisy since we're there to study, fun will take place elsewhere
  • for about MAX 1400€ a month (700€ each person)

We do not care if it is not central, since our universities are central enough to reach them easily. But it should be in a range of traveling by train of ~60 minutes. 

Japanese websites, hosts, aso are okay, we're both studying enough Japanese to get along with that :3 

Thanks in advance 

Not sure if you already looked into them, but Oakhouse might fit your needs. I know that they do both short and longer term apartment rentals and I believe offer discounts sometimes if you're staying for a few months.

Yup, I'd recommend Oakhouse as well.

They're friendly and very professional. Lived in their places for 2 years. In Shibuya (Daikanyama), Shinjuku (Nishi-shinjuku) and Setagaya (Kyodo). All three places were great, I visited friends who also lived with Oakhouse and all places where great and reasonably priced. 

I recommend Bamboo House in Nippori (Fujimi). It's in a quiet alley but close to Nippori station (Yamanote Line~!). I lived there for two months before I "officially" moved to Japan and have a friend who lives there now.

I can't vouch for all the people who live there because many of them don't stay for a long time, but noisy/annoying neighbors can be found aplenty anywhere. :P

Edited by qotka
whoa sentence got messed up lol

As for renting in general, my advice is that living closer to Saitama, Chiba, or Kanagawa and commuting in (you should be able to do it under 60 minutes each way) will always be the most affordable. If you most be in Tokyo, though, here is a list of areas ranked as having the most affordable housing: http://suumo.jp/journal/2015/03/06/79479/

Since you will be here short term, Leopalace is a popular agency  for accommodations especially geared towards foreigners and university students. Leopalaces are almost always furnished and they do short-term leasing as well. I'm not sure if they have roomshare options, but you can probably find two singles in the same complex for 700 euro or under a person. (So you can be close together and still have your privacy.) They have lots of them all over Tokyo/surrounding areas/Japan in general. Best of all you won't need a guarantor, but you will have to pay their system fee. It will probably be cheaper than paying agency fees, deposits, and "gift" money like most regular apartments require before you move in, though.. I think some/all utilities (internet, and maybe electric or gas) may also be included in the rent price.

Edited by jaymee

Sign in to follow this