Sign in to follow this  
suji

HIM will disband

Finnish metal band HIM has announced on their Facebook page that they will disband at the end of 2017, as the band has reached its full potential after 26 years.

They have mapped out a farewell tour which will run from June 14 to December throughout Europe. US and Finnish dates will be announced.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155119364482704&id=6675662703&_ft_=top_level_post_id.10155119364482704%3Atl_objid.10155119364482704%3Athrowback_story_fbid.10155119364482704&__tn__=%2C%3B

001.jpg

Edited by sheepprincessgara

Well it's not like they've been very active or anything for past years. I'm kinda surprised it took this long tbh.

I'm probably going to try and see them live still.

I didn't even know they were still around, tbh. I remember getting that one album back in high school though. 

Not sure what's up. Wish they could go on longer. But I heard Valo just not into it anymore, and HIM is not one without Valo

I saw them once in 2005 or 2006, I think — might attempt to grab a ticket for their last show in Amsterdam, if only for going down that nostalgia lane. I think they improved greatly from 2007 and upward, I have definitely enjoyed and played Venus Doom and Screamworks an agitating amount of times. Truly disappointed and sad that they are calling it quits because they seemed like one of those eternal bands that would simply stay around until the end of time, but 26 years is quite an achievement nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, Lestat said:

I saw them once in 2005 or 2006, I think — might attempt to grab a ticket for their last show in Amsterdam, if only for going down that nostalgia lane. I think they improved greatly from 2007 and upward, I have definitely enjoyed and played Venus Doom and Screamworks an agitating amount of times. Truly disappointed and sad that they are calling it quits because they seemed like one of those eternal bands that would simply stay around until the end of time, but 26 years is quite an achievement nonetheless. 

aww shit...Venus Doom was my first HIM album ;w; I actually own a copy. I remember seeing the Kiss of Dawn MV many years ago on tv back when rock music was hot, and that's what made me fall in love with the band. Since then, I've also taken the time to listen to their early albums, especially Razorblade Romance, nonstop ;w;

Pretty shocked that this is actually happening, but they have been quiet, and 26 years is a very long time.

Edited by sheepprincessgara

HIM was the love of my youth. I absolutely adored them, not because of their at times painfully cheesy lyrics or mostly bland instrumentation but because of a certain vibe I got from them, esp. the vocalist of course. I've always felt connected to him, to his outlook on love and life, his humor and his charm, so much so that I kinda felt I knew that he knew that HIM was very teenagy and corny but that he accepted that fact in an almost sarcastic way just as I did. And while I've always felt that their formula worked out fine up until the release of Love Metal, it certainly began to wither away with Dark Light, shortly resurrecting in a more mature and honest way on Venus Doom but definitively dying with Screamworks.

Since Venus Doom I've hoped that they would come up with something authentic, something they really wanted to do as a band but with each album they (or should I say Valo) succumbed to the phantom call of a long lost mainstream success. More experimentation and a greater sense of artistic freedom would have done them good but they steadily refused to embrace their potential new role in music after RR and kept riding that dead horse.

Their inability to adopt a new, more creative and free formula has repeatedly disappointed me and more or less ruined the magic I felt when listening to them in my youth. When putting them on now, I feel like looking back at a relationship which was beautiful and full of affection and passion the first couple of years until we slowly became more and more estranged from each other.

Anyway... I'm still going to their Prague concert this December which I think is the proper scenery for a last farewell to my teenage idols.

Edited by VESSMIER

Sign in to follow this