Sign in to follow this  
Panda_bear

Emmure

Emmure

2iurho4.jpg

Emmure is an American metalcore band formed in 2003. Originally based in New Fairfield, Connecticut, but now residing in Queens, New York, the group has a total of seven releases, with their first public release being a 2006 EP entitled The Complete Guide to Needlework. Victory Records took notice of the band after the release of their extended play and signed them, releasing their first full-length album Goodbye to the Gallows in 2007. After nine years of being signed to the label, Emmure would leave Victory in 2016 to sign with SharpTone Records, which is distributed through Nuclear Blast. The seventh album, titled Look at Yourself, was released on March 3, 2017.

Emmure has been defined as metalcore, deathcore, nu metal, and alternative metal. The band has been noted for being influenced by Limp Bizkit, Korn, Nine Inch Nails, Deftones, Slipknot, and Converge among many other 1990's bands. The band has received both praise and criticism for the abundance of breakdowns in their music. Spoken words, rapping and dissonant chords are also often incorporated in their sound. The band occasionally incorporates clean vocals in their music. Lyrical topics usually focus on breakups, social indifference, philosophy, and religion. Many of the band's songs contain references to video games and comic books, particularly from Street Fighter and Marvel Comics, of which vocalist Frankie Palmeri is an avid fan.

The band's name "Emmure" is a reference to immurement, a form of execution

(Ughh, can't get the videos to center)

A Gift A Curse

Demons With Ryu

MDMA

Any fans here?

I actually really like this band. I accidentally found out about them a few years back because of all the hate I would see some of the metal community throw their way. Most of which was greatly exaggerated. Unfortunately I think they became one of those bands that was trendy to hate on like BMTH or AA back in the day.  Their style of metalcore isn't really anything groundbreaking or technical, but I like the emotion, raw lyrics and creativity behind their music.  You get a good mix of downtuned guitars, sick double bass and breakdowns,  with the occasional altmetal/numetal influenced or deftonish sounding songs. 

My fav albums by them are Speaker of the Dead, Nemesis, and probably Take A Look At Yourself. I'm still waiting for my copy to come in the mail. But from the previews I've heard, it sounds like it's their sickest release yet. 

Edited by Panda_bear

Hmmm... I apparently have a few thoughts on Emmure.

So I saw Emmure back in 2007 when only their first album was out. I didn't know who they were before the show (they were opening for a band I liked.... From a Second Story Window if you're curious). So my first impressions of them were unclouded by all the subsequent hate they started getting I think around the release of Speaker of the Dead.

I think they get hate for two reasons: the simplicity of the songs and the lyrics.

I don't agree with the first (well I don't deny it's true, I'm just not sure it's a bad thing). I'll occasionally throw some Emmure on when I'm specifically looking for some mostly uncomplicated shit I can just headbang to. Sometimes I wish a VK band would just lean into having big, dumb riffs that are heavy/fun the way Emmure do on most songs and see where it takes them. (The Emmure songs I spin most are 'You Got a Henna Tattoo That Said Forever', 'I Thought You Met Telly and Turned Me To Casper' and 'Solar Flare Homicide')

The lyrics are a bit of a problem for me though. I mean, if there's an opposite of poetry "I want to watch you suck his dick, I know you fucking love it bitch" might be it. (not to mention the tshirts the vocalist sold you can find if you google them....)

That stuff is just trying to be 'shocking' without much artistic merit behind it. Other people have done misogyny or shocking in ways I can dig, but Emmure certainly don't (or didn't... I haven't listened to anything they've released in the last five years).

tl;dr - I sometimes like simple, downtuned mosh pit inspiring riffs without much technicality, but the vocalist's lyrics are just trying too hard and I don't think come across as earnest

Edited by The Reverend

17 hours ago, IGM_Oficial said:

Not to be confused with emmurée.

lol

Funnily enough, this happened to be once on the forum until i saw the é

16 hours ago, The Reverend said:

The lyrics are a bit of a problem for me though. I mean, if there's an opposite of poetry "I want to watch you suck his dick, I know you fucking love it bitch" might be it. (not to mention the tshirts the vocalist sold you can find if you google them....)

That stuff is just trying to be 'shocking' without much artistic merit behind it. Other people have done misogyny or shocking in ways I can dig, but Emmure certainly don't (or didn't... I haven't listened to anything they've released in the last five years).

tl;dr - I sometimes like simple, downtuned mosh pit inspiring riffs without much technicality, but the vocalist's lyrics are just trying too hard and I don't think come across as earnest

That one line you mentioned always seems to be quoted, and for better or for worse it’s gotten them a bit of notoriety. Although the song is called drug dealer friend, and within the context of the song, the line makes sense. I believe it’s about a drug addict who sinks so low, he convinces his partner to perform sexual favors on his drug dealer as a form of payment for more drugs. 

It definitely comes down to a matter of taste, although I’ve never really had a problem with that song or any other ones they had. 

Lyrically, I think most of the time what’s written is appropriate for their style of music. And usually they always have at least 1 meaningful song on each album. Their lyrics and their delivery do seem to have gotten better with each album, with Eternal Enemies being the best lyrically and musically I’ve heard of them so far. I will agree there is some shock value lyrically to them sometimes, but it’s usually to serve the aim of the song. Whether you dig those lines or not is of course personal preference. 

I would recommend checking out Eternal Enemies and Take At Look Yourself. Haven’t heard  the latter yet, but it sounds like it brings the slams.

I wouldn't touch Emmure with a 10-foot pole before. But since the Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza and Glass Cloud guys joined Frankie, I was already sold on it, and with Look at Yourself, they really delivered. Josh Travis was an insane breath of fresh air for them. The whole album is a banger after a banger, especially those two:

Spoiler

Really can't wait to see them with Oceans Ate Alaska (those guys are my main incentive, though), Crystal Lake and Betraying the Martyrs, here in Czech Republic, this summer.

On 3/10/2017 at 8:46 PM, IGM_Oficial said:

Not to be confused with emmurée.

lol

I just did lmao

Sign in to follow this