TheZigzagoon

Kiyoharu's voice: Do you prefer it now or do you prefer his voice back in the 90's?

For me, I prefer his voice now, I just can't get used to the vibrato thing he did with his voice back in the 90's. Don't get me wrong I love Kuroyume, and I love Kiyoharu, I just don't get it XD

Good question. His voice has changed a lot over the years. Instrumentally speaking, I certainly prefer early, indie Kuroyume (although imo they did make at least one fantastic album a bit later, Fake Star), but vocally it's a harder question. The early indie days when he did all of crazy screams and stuff was certainly nice, but at other times his actual singing voice could be pretty grating (nobody actually likes "Kagami ni Naritai " right?)

However, I do love the ridiculous vibrato thing and Kiyoharu could really nail it sometimes (ex. Beams). So it all depends. I think in terms of singing vocals, I like him the best from Romance of Scarlet to around Drug Treatment. Granted, that's still kind of a wide range, but that was just overall a really good era imo. At times he could still have a bit of grit in his voice (like Barter), but his singing voice was more consistent albeit still over-the-top. Funnily enough, Kiyoharu going way too overboard is part of the reason why I don't like Corkscrew (also the production is really bad).

Edited by Dudemanguy

I must admit, I am not a huge fan of either. If I were to pick, I think I would go with earlier years. Though his voice now is a little less nasally, which makes me thing I would like it more, it seems to lack some of the character it had earlier. That said, I might be biased by liking the earlier music more as a whole.

2 hours ago, WhirlingBlack said:

Any answer that isn't the indies period is incorrect. 

Also 鏡になりたい is one of my all time favorite songs, so there certainly are people that like it!

Sorry. It's just got waaaaaaay to much vibrato for me lol. Everything else on that mini-album is absolutely fantastic though.

Edited by Dudemanguy