Mamo

Best growl in Visual Kei

But yea if Deg had still been VK, Kyo would top em.

THIS. He's the only one that comes to my mind actually.

Also Yuuki from UnsraW, especially before the polmonar problem and Daisuke. Megaromania's Sui has a really powerful voice too and his deep voice would be perfect, but I think he suits more screams than growls...

NARASAKI (Coaltar of the Deepers)

because 1 second he has this semi-cutesey high voice and the next second he does the death metal

none of them. Every VK artist that growls do those shitty whispered growls which sound terrible live and are usually enhanced in the studio. This is done to prevent the vocalist from fucking up their voice (i.e. Kyo).

none of them. Every VK artist that growls do those shitty whispered growls which sound terrible live and are usually enhanced in the studio. This is done to prevent the vocalist from fucking up their voice (i.e. Kyo).

Not true Kyo growls loud live and so do several other vk artist. BTW if you growl with proper technique it won't fuck up your voice.

Not true Kyo growls loud live and so do several other vk artist. BTW if you growl with proper technique it won't fuck up your voice.

If. Most of them do not. If you want the best growls, steer clear of VK.

Dir en grey is no longer a VK band...Kyo is not a VK artist...His vocals for the longest time (up to WTPINOL) were whispered. UROBOROS growls were whispered. Even now Kyo cups the mic during most gutturals, those as well are whispered. So no, Kyo does still occasionally do whispered gutturals, but those have been highering in volume and have been getting more "wet" and powerful so they sound and are better.

>And so do several other vk artists

Show me.

And regarding proper technique. This is and is not true. When you scream / growl / perform gutturals, it is a certain vibration of the vocal cords which is EXTREMELY unnatural. The vocal cords react to this by tearing. This causes damage but overtime such damage is healed and your vocal cords adapt to such conditions. So yes, there is a technique where your voice will not be wrecked, but to achieve that your vocal cords go through several stages of damage and repair to get there.

And most "proper techniques" are also whispered growls from what I have seen.

Dir en grey is no longer a VK band...Kyo is not a VK artist...His vocals for the longest time (up to WTPINOL) were whispered. UROBOROS growls were whispered. Even now Kyo cups the mic during most gutturals, those as well are whispered. So no, Kyo does still occasionally do whispered gutturals, but those have been highering in volume and have been getting more "wet" and powerful so they sound and are better.

>And so do several other vk artists

Show me.

Correct it is typically considered unnatural but their are technique using air held in your diaphram to exhale deep pockets of air through your false vocal cords or the false vocal fold.

As for VK artist with growls VanessA

Awoi
-OZ- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMhS78uL ... re=related Sadie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIhZp_ZnNWE GREGORY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS17wG0lCVY Deathgaze

Need more :D

Vanessa, oz, and sadies growls are absolutely terrible. idk why you would ever choose those. Maos growls in sadie are also whispered, just sayin.

Please notice what I said " 'proper technique' is usually just whispered growls. these are very weak growls which show in a bands live performance, as shown with bands like Vanessa, Oz, Sadie, etc. It's like Satsuki's growls: very shitty and very fake. They don't even qualify as real growls, the vocalist of vanessa is a lot alike.

If you want to do whispered growls to prevent your voice from getting fucked up, sure, you can whisper, but for the best results you do have to go through damage and healing periods. notice a HUGE difference between a VK band's growls, and someone like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi-Ew_cc ... re=related

these are legitimate growls that are extremely powerful, and do cause damage to the vocal chords, what vk artists do, to prevent such, are fake and whispered.

You never commented on DEATHGAZE or GREGORY though. Ai and Otogi's growls aren't much better though. I think only Nobu might be decent out of all the vocalists on that list.

the vocalist from DEATHGAZE is really no different from what I've heard (I rarely listen to them), and GREGORY I haven't really heard so I can't say. But I can only assume that they're no exception. I could be wrong though

To that growling discussion: There is definetely a technique to prevent damage on your vocal chords, fry screaming is not more dangerous than clean singing, every singing teacher who knows about that vocal style can tell you that - you don't need this damaging and healing stuff for that, it's just a natural sound you can produce with your vocal chords, most people just don't know about it. Hazuki and Ai use that technique for example. Most VK singers just scream without any technique though, i don't think many of them even use the whispering thing.

Don't know if i already stated my favorites, but i really like Hizumi's screams (although i'm not sure what technique he uses) and also the deeper growls Yuuki from UnsraW although he sounds really crappy at times. Kyo's live growls are pretty cool too, but well, most people don't count Dir En Grey as VK anymore, so i guess he doesn't belong in here.

the vocalist from DEATHGAZE is really no different from what I've heard (I rarely listen to them), and GREGORY I haven't really heard so I can't say. But I can only assume that they're no exception. I could be wrong though

You should try. I'm growl-deaf but even Nobu's growls caught me off guard the first time I heard them.

^could you recommend a song that I could check out pleaseee?

@Kaleidoscope: there is a way, but that technique is just so false and crappy. and it shows live. sure there's technique, but you can tell when someone is using that technique and it's absolutely annoying.