Mamo

Best growl in Visual Kei

Well, I can understand when some people don't like the sound of that technique, but why should it be false? oo It's nearly as loud as clean singing and can sound very aggressive at times and actually lots of western vocalists use it too, prominent examples are Trivium and recent Bullet For My Valentine. I think the most annoying thing is that it makes you sound just like any other screamer, probably one of the reasons why most metalcore vocalists sound the same since they use fry :D I think there are some exceptions though, I'm pretty sure that the guy of Ensiferum uses the technique too for example - not sure since I don't really listen to them, but he sounds good imo.

Doesn't the guy of GREGORY use lots of distortion? It's been a while since I listened to them, but it sounded kind of weird as far as I remember :D

Doesn't the guy of GREGORY use lots of distortion? It's been a while since I listened to them, but it sounded kind of weird as far as I remember :D

Like I said, I'm growl-deaf so I wouldn't be able to tell. To me, he sounds more genuine than someone like Mao or Genki, so that's why I said "average". He's no beast like the guy in the video will put up is, but he puts more into it than the average VK vocalist as far as my ears can tell. When I think of distorted growls I think of Byou from SCREW and judge it based on that and to me, Nobu doesn't sound like that.

@will:

mCr798WW7II

or

LS17wG0lCVY

should do.

@Kaleidoscope: that technique is noticeable. There is a huge difference between the vocalists in trivium and bullet for my valentine and bands like Parkway Drive, The Acacia Strain, Dir en grey (at times), and a ton of hardcore / metalcore / deathcore bands. This difference is usually most noticeable at live shows as well. With bands like Parkway Drive (video i posted earlier) you can see the physical strains in his neck to present an incredible sound, with bands that employ that "technique" to keep their vocalist sounding pitch perfect for shallow fans, there's not that strain / power behind their vocals. And triviums screams are really...nothing really special. They're more like...what the vocalist of Metallica does. Just some throaty deep shout-singing. Trivium is practically a metallica coverband anyway so it's merely warranted.

@koe: with the vocalist of gregory it's really hard to say. theres points where his voice gets pretty low to 1980's cannibal corpse standard (which though are whispered, are pretty well done), but then others it just sounds like he fits the mold of how most VK artists do. I'd definitely have to hear more though to get a really good opinion of it

Well sadly they're on hiatus as of now and there are only two more songs that aren't there: IN VAIN and RED FLAG. IN VAIN doesn't have many harsh vocals (if any, minus the shout at the beginning IIRC) but RED FLAG has a bit more. I'm hoping they come back though - they were surprisingly good.

^ Dude no, it's not "brutal" it's "br00tal"

You have to be tr00 \m/

Editing my post <3

Coaltar of the Deepers is visual kei?

Whoops, I forgot the "visual kei" part of the question :S

Title says it all~

ROAR!!!!!!!!

ps - not allowed to choose kyo.

Edited by FOSCOR70

While not my number 1 pick, I think Satsuki from Rentrer en Soi is a favorite of mine.  His growls have this agitated quality that makes him sound freaking pissed. But it's also kind of nasaly/high pitched so he sounds like a really nettled cat.

Edited by ghost

What happens when you combine Udo Dirkschneider and Lemmy?

Kiba from Gargoyle, nuff said \m/

Edited by futoshi92