CAT5

Recommended Tracks: February 2017!

Recommended Tracks: February 2017!  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which tracks did you enjoy the most this month?

• "Airaku Nise Kokoro" by Yusai
    • "Yuushuudani no Batter" by LACK-CO.
    • "Shitsumei" by Grieva
    • "Lineage" by Versailles
    • "Frabjous Nacht" by GRIMOIRE
    • "nisemono no utage" by memai SIREN
    • "yuuyami ni meidou suru shoudou to koufuku no arika" by Soan Project with Temari
    • "Change your mind" by ame no parade
    • "New York City" by Tempalay
    • "ノクチルカの夜" by まじ娘
    • "Ikkyu-san" by Suiyoubi no Campanella
    • "Ashita mo" by SHISHAMO
    • "METALIN" by Sokoninaru
    • "Remember the Name" by Aiolin 

86b8HtC.png

Greetings, MH! The ORZ staff are back with our latest batch of recommended tracks! Feb. was a pretty delectable month, so let's waste no time and dig right in!

(We apologize if some videos aren't available due to region restrictions!)

@emmny's Picks

"アイラク偽心" by 游彩

"Airaku Gishin" by Yusai

b8vquq5.png

ex-Zin members' (minus ex-vocalist Riku) new band Yusai offers more or less of the same thing Zin were known for: a japonesque sound that was decent but not quite Kiryu. That's not as bad of a thing as it sounds, Kiryu's ADHD sound is a bit much at times. Yusai keep the angular guitarwork, sharp melody, funky rhythm and traditional instrumentation accents while keeping it concise and catchy. Amane (once on guitars as Luy) has a husky yet nasal voice which adds an interesting contrast to the instrumental track. This shouldn't be too much of a surprise given Zin's uncanny strength in composition. Keep 'em on your radar, ladies and gentlemen!

Spoiler

"幽囚谷のバッタ" by ラッコ

"Yuushuudani no Batter" by LACK-CO.

YnKx82r.png

Vk troublemakers LACK-CO. are back with another wacky song (and even wackier accompanying music video) which I happened to enjoy more than their prior output. As now typical of their everything-but-the-kitchen-sink style, the song has thrashy verses, a breakdown, swing sections and delicate jazzy, clean passages reminiscent of Moran and Chemical Pictures. I can't even tell what's going on half the time, but this jazz-kei bastard child has enough going on between the complex guitar work, lovely yet forceful vox and wild rhythm section to keep me amused for its brief three minute run.
Spoiler

"失明" by グリーヴァ

"Shitsumei" by Grieva

MX0lrlt.png

Grieva is dead. The vintage DEG and Madeth gray'll kote-kei satan spawn is no longer. What have we done to deserve such a fate? The end was near with the release of Konton no hako and the nail in the coffin was hammered in by "Liar..." and its alt-metal-isms. It was probably Grieva's roughest era, being all over the place stylistically. Now we have the next phase, a splice of their old sound and....*gasp* TMOAB-era DEG. I'm proud to report that it is the best thing the band have done in a while. "Shitsumei" removes the worn 90's riffs and fills them in with mid-00's metalcore riffing, all while keeping the 90's charm and incredible ear for melody intact. Grieva sound entirely re-energized and ready to plagiarize some more, thank god!
Spoiler

@Zeus's Pick

"Lineage" by Versailles

1DeIeWs.png

Versailles is a band that takes pompous as a compliment, and from music to visuals they've built their brand on being larger than life. Lineage is both the release and the song that restores luster to a band that had lost their way. I extolled the virtues of "La Musique" in my full-length review of Lineage〜薔薇の末裔〜, but this is the track that defines the mini-album. I'm loving how the violin and keys direct the melody without overpowering the metal. The progressive elements come in at the right moments and introduce enough variance to prevent stagnation. KAMIJO's charisma is still as infectious as ever and the instrumental portions of songs feel much more theatrical and less like a showcase for HIZAKI and TERU's skills. Versailles does not often release namesake tracks on singles - in fact I believe this is the first - so not only is this a pleasant surprise, but it speaks to the confidence of KAMIJO in his band and this song when he penned it. This is a track I can play all day.

Spoiler

@fitear1590's Picks

"フラブジャスナハト" by グリモア
"Frabjous Nacht" by GRIMOIRE

68eBUYw.png

Since 2015, GRIMOIRE has risen to become one of my favorites among indies neo VK. They've consistently delivered atmospheric, haunted house tunes mediated through high-concept visuals and surprisingly glossy PVs. While I can understand their main criticism--that they can be a bit too 'samey'--"Frabjous Nacht" looks to break the spell. On top of being their most standout title (lol, I still can't get over the word 'frabjous'), it's one of their most unique compositions. Verses have a slow, hypnotic quality and the track sports some of their most technical guitarwork so far. They're now apparently on Timely Records (home to the likes of other all-caps bands like XAA-XAA and DADAROMA), so I hope more people will take note of GRIMOIRE in all their 'frabjous' glory.

Spoiler

"偽物の宴" by 眩暈SIREN
"nisemono no utage" by memai SIREN

R9p5OIE.png

Somewhere down the line, memai SIREN was recommended to me on YouTube. "Nisemono no utage" has a lot of interesting crossover appeal. It's part anime OP song,  part Paramore-style power pop, part uplifting VK number (that guitar melody at :14 is something classic I could see MegaMasso doing). On top of that, the video is pretty striking, combining the pseudo-silhouettes of the band members over projected imagery that oscillates between organic and geometric designs.

Spoiler

"夕闇に鳴動する衝動と幸福の在処" by Soanプロジェクトwith手鞠
"yuuyami ni meidou suru shoudou to koufuku no arika" by Soan Project with Temari

IigMPmY.png

Last month, Soan (ex-Moran) showed us a darker/heavier side in his surprising collaboration with Akuta (Chanty, ex-Administrator). This month, the art kei dial got turned up to 11 by enlisting the help of Temari (ex-Amber gris). It's a complete 180 from the previous release, nixing percussion and rock instrumentation in favor of a more sublime, orchestral sound. From the crisp piano that could adorn any Ghibli feature to the heart-wrenching, dramatic strings, Soan and Temari have crafted something divine. Soan Project is clearly a multi-faceted venture, so even if the first mini didn't tickle your fancy, you still owe it to yourself to check this one out.

Spoiler

@CAT5's Picks

"Change your mind" by 雨のパレード 

"Change your mind" by ame no parade

1uPjR5t.png

I've long been critical of ame no parade (amepare for short) and not out of some unrooted distaste for their music, but because I am genuinely fond of them and would like to see the band succeed. Kohei's pristine and soulful croon has made him one of my favorite male voices of today, and the band is competent in both playing and invoking atmosphere. They're cooking with some amazingly potent ingredients, though they've yet to serve anything truly fulfilling. Instead they've been using the same boring recipe of recycled vocal melodies, bland, minimalistic verses, and big-for-nothing choruses. In promotion of their upcoming second album, the ironically titled Change your pops, amepare has dropped the MV for "Change your mind", which is a surprisingly welcome 'change' of pace for the band. Their standard formula is still in play, but the drab minimalism of the past has been enhanced with groovy synths and danceable drums that actually manage to engage you. From the very start of the song, it's evident that they're playing with renewed conviction, and it gives me hope that amepare might actually 'change THEIR pops'!

Spoiler

@Original Saku's Picks

"New York City" by Tempalay

MfyYiX2.png

Tempalay has surprised me so much this month with music that I just typically don't listen to much. I discovered them earlier this month by chance while I was browsing JPS. They weave this weird blend of psychedelic and chillout rock that is just so addicting. It was love at first listen and I haven't looked back since. The weirdly named "New York City" serves as the opener of 5曲 (5 Kyoku) which instantly becomes less bizarre once you watch the PV. Most interesting is the concept of the album. I highly recommend you check out the whole thing if you like what you hear.
Spoiler

"ノクチルカの夜" by まじ娘

"Noctiluca Night" by majiko

B0G96v0.png

majiko made her major debut this month with her mini album Cloud 7. We all know about the 'major curse' that plagues indie groups and artists once they go major. I was more than a little worried at the prospect that the same curse could afflict majiko, thankfully those worries were for naught. In fact I can only see an improvement in this record. "ノクチルカの夜" showcases a clear departure from her mellow pop-oriented utaite roots, and we can see a shift to a more mature, darker sound with much more depth and production quality. The new musical shift does wonders for her beautiful voice and meshes really well with her haunting singing style. It really brings a certain level of intensity to her music.
Spoiler

"一休さん" by 水曜日のカンパネラ

"Ikkyu-san" by Suiyoubi no Campanella

HtEM4ZU.png

After a mini album that most would call 'stale' or 'more of the same' last year, people were already counting Suiyoubi no Campanella as a one trick pony. This notion was immediately disproved this month with their new album SUPERMAN which does more than enough to validate their musical prowess and innovation. "Ikkyu-san" showcases what makes this group so awesome and addicting, with an infectious beat and a stunning vocal performance from KOMUAI, accompanied by eccentric electronica sounds aplenty. I know this is a REC track thread but I really just want to say how cohesive this album is from start to finish and I couldn't recommend it more! It might even be better than their previous album Zipangu for me.
Spoiler

"明日も" by SHISHAMO

"Ashita mo" by SHISHAMO

9C4sEFo.png

This is a group I've been infatuated with over the last few years. SHISHAMO brings forth my love of female fronted indie rock bands like no other. They have the 'it' factor in their music, that feeling of euphoria and mellowness that wraps around you and makes you just feel legit good. They're a part of the few all female rock bands that currently are keeping the dream alive in Japan. I enjoy and appreciate them so much! These girls have been spitting out material so fast that it hasn't even been a full year since we got their last album, but we already have SHISHAMO 4  to start 2017 off with a party. "明日も" Is a fun pop rock jam that asserts that these girls' instruments are not for show and that they can jam when it's time to. Like with all my other RECs, please check out the full album for the true experience. Do yourself a solid.
Spoiler

Guest Recommendations:

@TheStoic's Pick

"METALIN" by そこに鳴る
"METALIN" by Sokoninaru

3rPMZ15.png

Breakdowns.  Blast beats. Gang chants. Chaotic soloing. These are not typical elements that describe the music the rock trio そこに鳴る.  Since releasing their debut EP in 2015, the group has gone under the radar on the pages of MH. It's a shame given their technical abilities and impressive songwriting in the indie rock scene.  However, their latest single "METALIN" (featured on the album of the same name) is more than worthy of appropriating the metal moniker.  The band effortlessly melds their upbeat melodic choruses and core indie sound with a fresh dash of tremolo thrash metal riffs, neckbreaking breakdowns, and a frenetic energy that is a blast to listen to.  If you have not given them a proper listen, "METALIN" may be be your gateway drug, as this single shows that they have the hunger to give indie heavyweights like 凛として時雨 (Ling Tosite Sigure) a run for their money.
Spoiler

@Ada Suilen's Picks

"Lineage" by Versailles
1DeIeWs.png

I think that the visual kei scene is living a sort of rebirth, with many shiny comebacks, giving the genre a new shape. Probably the most awaited one comes from the symphonic metal act Versailles, starting off with the compilation The Greatest Hits -2007/2016- last September, and now with their second mini-album Lineage -Bara no matsuei-. In general, the sound echoes the inheritance of this band, taking even some elements from the side projects of the single members where this track represents its peak. With an incredible, virtuous metal sound, powerful riffs and more mature vocals, "Lineage" will surely stick in your head. Welcome back Descendants!

Spoiler

"Remember the Name"  by アイオリン
"Remember the Name" by Aiolin 
hD3qGsD.png
One of the newest products of the scene, formerly known as code name Px, debuted with their first album at the beginning of the month and the final result was pretty shocking. As you can see from the name, their music (especially in this lead-track) is filled by a melodious violin (provided by the singer) mixed with electronic elements, energetic sounds and harsh vocals: the ideal ingredients for a sure success. Probably one of the most promising acts of 2017 and I hope that they will continue down this path.
Spoiler

-

Thanks for checking out our recommendations this month! And another big thanks to our guest contributors @TheStoic and @Ada Suilen! If you have any thoughts on our list, or if you have any recommendations of your own, please feel free to comment below! If you're interested in being a guest contributor, contact @CAT5or @doombox

:cheers:

I am proud to have contributed on this thread!

Great to see bands like Grieva, Soan Project, Grimoire and even Yusai, who appear quite promising!

Probably I will revaluate Lack-co, as their debut work didn't impress me at all...

I have Sokoninaru, Majiko and Shishamo's latest works on my listening list, I think that they will have more priority now!

that soko ni naru is sick wow...what the f*ck this is kreator, x-japan and j-indie's love child

memai siren was pleasant too someone get them on an anime !!!

i think we all know how much i love temari n grimoire so those were awesome wink wink

About Suiyoubi's Ikkyu-san... I've been hearing a lot about that song lately and even though I hadn't listened to it yet (not before now), I was always asking myself if this song's title has anything to do with tricot's vocalist Ikkyu Nakajima... Just because I don't know anyone else with that name and well, they're both famous so maybe? lol idk maybe trying to understand the lyrics would help XD

...maybe it just means "193" õ_õ

nice song anyway!

10 minutes ago, Hakoniwa said:

About Suiyoubi's Ikkyu-san... I've been hearing a lot about that song lately and even though I hadn't listened to it yet (not before now), I was always asking myself if this song's title has anything to do with tricot's vocalist Ikkyu Nakajima... Just because I don't know anyone else with that name and well, they're both famous so maybe? lol idk maybe trying to understand the lyrics would help XD

...maybe it just means "193" õ_õ

nice song anyway!

I doubt it, since Ikkyu is a very common Japanese name... It could be reference to this anime of the same name, which in turn is about the famous 15th century Japanese Zen Buddhist monk and poet, Ikkyū Sōjun.

Hugh I did not gave GRIMOIRE a chance and that track convinced me. LACK-CO sounds worth looking into too. I wasn't chemical pictures biggest fan (vene though I liked them) but I can see myself getting into L-C.

Surprised by Grieva's popularity. 

Did another quick thoughts:

Red is "blah"

Orange is "meh"

Yellow is "hmm"

Green is "yas"

"Airaku Nise Kokoro" by Yusai

I was worried that I would feel the same way about this as I do about Kiryu (which is to say that I wouldn't like it), but I find this to be a marked improvement. The chorus of this song feels like it comes out of nowhere though

"Yuushuudani no Batter" by LACK-CO.

Early Chemical Pictures was probably my favorite of any of Tenten's stuff, and this has a similar feeling which I am enjoying.

"Shitsumei" by Grieva

I've never really liked Grieva. This song didn't change anything.

"Lineage" by Versailles

Imagine if the band could actually get real instruments instead of recording violin off of a keyboard? That said, this is one of the better songs the band has done in a long while.

"Frabjous Nacht" by GRIMOIRE

Haven't listened to this band. The vocalist is maybe a bit too squeaky, but I liked what I have heard and want to check them out more.

"nisemono no utage" by memai SIREN

Not enough to get me super hyped, but I liked the mashup of styles in this song.

"yuuyami ni meidou suru shoudou to koufuku no arika" by Soan Project with Temari

Art kei, yes please.

"Change your mind" by ame no parade

Kind of nice, but also kind of forgettable

"New York City" by Tempalay

Blocked and I don't really feel like jumpinf through hoops at the moment to play it.

"ノクチルカの夜" by まじ娘

Not bad by any means, just ended up feeling a little bland.

"Ikkyu-san" by Suiyoubi no Campanella

Not really a style I enjoy at all. Though the bass line is nice.

"Ashita mo" by SHISHAMO

bloooocked

"METALIN" by Sokoninaru

From the first couple of second I thought I wasn't going to be a fan of this song, but this song shifts sooooo much over its run time. It's almost like the band wanted to see how many styles they could fit in to a single song. It's odd and a bit jarring, but I thought it was an interesting experiment. I want to see how it holds up to repeat listenings.

"Remember the Name" by Aiolin 

They need to send the violinist over to Versailles to record for a bit lol. I checked this bad out a couple weeks back and I like where they are going. Vocals are the weakest link imo, but not enough to pull them down too much.