Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

#94: Lineage〜薔薇の末裔〜 by Versailles

Featured Review Question feat. Versailles  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Did Lineage improve your faith in Versailles?

• Yes it has restored my faith as a fan completely! I am in love once again.
    • A very solid come back that I like but I'm still not completely sold.
    • So-so. Wasn't entirely convincing or only some songs were for me
    • Worsened my opinion even more than it was slightly
    • I just don't like it at ll / never was a fan of Versailles

94_lineage.png

3d8328998f92468f6a2e4d900cc3cc1c.jpgbb734111fd0e69fbb8898ccd97f6b343.jpg

:_8/10_: | The spiritual successor to Lyrical Sympathy, hands down.

This is what I've been waiting for since 2010.

The collection album Versailles released at the tail end of 2016 was necessary but not enough. Self-covers set a low bar for a comeback - even if they blew my expectations out of the water - so I've low key been spinning the two new tracks from The Greatest Hits 2007-2016 on repeat. I've been looking for clues to where this band is headed next, and all roads point to Lineage〜薔薇の末裔〜. Lineage is the first original Versailles release since their disastrous self-titled, and with this release all my apprehensions are eradicated. This is how you redeem yourself.

There are three reasons why Lineage is a successful album. The first reason is that it is compact; six to nine tracks seems to be the sweet spot for Versailles albums. Compact albums lend themselves well to multiple listens. This goes along with the second reason, which is that they've restored the regality to their sound. Reflecting on releases such as Holy Grail (2011) and Versailles (2012) made me realize that they were slowly stripping away the aristocratic elements in favor of power metal. With Lineage, Versailles has made a complete 180. "La Musique" opens up the release with an immediacy I haven't heard since "Aristocrat's Symphony", and the interlude before the solo is just ace. Songs feel textured with simple riffs leading into complex solos, fast verses leading into slow choruses, and in general, each moment feels meticulously crafted. Contrast this with their solo efforts, where at times both parties felt one-dimensional in their approach to symphonic metal. This leads into my third point, which is the chemistry between the band members has been found again. It sounds like they are working together far better than they have ever before.

What I want most from Versailles is close to what Lineage delivers; a Kamijo solo project in all but name with occasional songs and instrumentation by Kamijo, Teru, Yuki, and Hizaki. I don't have composer notes handy, but if I had to trust in my ears, it still sounds like Kamijo and Hizaki are primary composers, but they're collaborating rather than proposing their individual songs. I used to be able to tell what songs were Kamijo's and what songs were Hizaki's and I can't do that with this particular release, which turns out to be a really good thing. To that end, I would love for Teru and Masashi to contribute even more as well. Tracks like "LIBIDO" and "Thanatos" are amazing additions to Versailles' discography because they stand out in a good way, and a remarkable trait about Lineage is that each track is both unique and memorable.

Finally, I should mention the stellar production job. Everything between JUBILEE (2010) and Versailles sounds strange, whether it be a weird filter on KAMIJO's voice or an odd guitar tone. The re-recordings on The Greatest Hits 2007-2016 only clarify the problems for tracks like "MASQUERADE". Thankfully, whoever handled The Greatest... also blessed this release, and I hope Versailles continue to collaborate with these sound engineers in future releases.

Lineage marks the beginning of a third stage for Versailles, one where they feel cleanly separated from past activities and expectations. Not only does it speak to the strengths of what a good hiatus can do for a band, but it sends a more subtle message that sometimes less is more. Lineage may only be six tracks but it feels like a full album. I've changed my opinion of this band's activities from cautious to optimistic, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case for others too.

Sign in to follow this