Euronymous

Your First Favorite VK Band

My first contact with japanese music was GACKT - Lu:na, around 2000. 

Short after that album i listened to Dir en grey's six ugly and Kisou and felt totally in love with visual kei.

On 5/8/2017 at 4:19 AM, raphael said:

I'd say my first favourite band was probably DIR EN GREY or An Cafe circa 2006, but only because I was completely unaware bands similar to them existed. I was flipping through channels one day and managed to catch The Final and Escapism PVs on IMF (International Music Feed) and instantly fell in love. I obsessed over DEG and An Cafe for a good half year, probably, until I discovered that there was a slew of bands out there and it wasn't confined to just those two, as vastly different as they are.

So after a little bit of searching and discovering with the limited resources I had, I'd say that RENTRER EN SOI was my real "first favourite", followed very closely by UnsraW.

IMF was my first exposure as well. I had definitely been into anime openings, but I saw a cut of L'arc doing Driver's High at the 15th Anniversary concert and the video for MUCC -Libra. After that, I started getting random stuff off of kazaa. It took me a few years to really get deep, but the first band I went really hard on was Diru. Malice too, but not like Diru.

One really funny thing is that I saw Diru in 2006 at the Family Values Tour in Cleveland. I had never heard them before that, but my friends had, and they bought a CD there. They liked the cd (Marrow of a Bone), but they never got into Japanese rock beyond that.  Little did I know that getting into them would send me down this rabbit-hole.