Euronymous

Your First Favorite VK Band

For me it was in 2006, when Nightmare was singing Deathnote's ED/OP. Can't believe it's already been over 10yrs... 

I freaking loved An Cafe in 2008. I don't even know how I found out about them, but I remember I bought a magazine that had bands interview and one of the bands from that month's publication was An Cafe and at first I thought they were...cute girls XD. And then I looked them on the internet and got so into them, I started watching a lot of videos and had all the discography and basically that's how I found out that all the anime songs I've been listening until then were from the "jrock" genre XD.

Malice Mizer

I stumbled upon Bara no Seidō while searching for some goth bands on the internet. I can't remember but finding Malice Mizer may have been how I got into gothic lolita fashion as well. That happened at around the same time. Then I became more interested in visual kei as a whole and the rest is history.

I think SID was my first. I knew what VK was because of my interested in Japanese fashion movements but I never really knew SID was vk. The first band that I actually got obsessed with was gazette around 2013. I remember liking alice nine, diaura, mejibray div, sug and daizystripper a lot too. Nowadays I still like gazette but prefer their older stuff. Other than that I mostly listen to 90's vk. Compared to a lot of you guys here I still feel like a fetus haha!

Dir en Grey and Girugamesh

A friend of mine sent me Vinushka and instantly I loved it. It was also time when Girugamesh was popular and everybody was listening to Reason of Crying. Good times...

On 07/12/2017 at 4:32 PM, Triangle said:

I freaking loved An Cafe in 2008. I don't even know how I found out about them, but I remember I bought a magazine that had bands interview and one of the bands from that month's publication was An Cafe and at first I thought they were...cute girls XD. And then I looked them on the internet and got so into them, I started watching a lot of videos and had all the discography and basically that's how I found out that all the anime songs I've been listening until then were from the "jrock" genre XD.

I could almost copy and paste what u wrote but with me it happened in 2009. I came across this german magazine called popcorn that was sold in a shop close to my middle school (yes I was that young). I saw an cafe on this calendar (this was january) and I thought they looked so different and very loud and colourful so I gave them a listen and was hooked from then on. I quickly got into d=out, sug, alice nine, gazette, dio and others. Haven't stopped listening since. 

In 2004 an ex girlfriend send me the song "The Final" of dir en grey, was love at first sight

Edited by Sickle

On 12/24/2017 at 2:48 AM, maryeon said:

I could almost copy and paste what u wrote but with me it happened in 2009. I came across this german magazine called popcorn that was sold in a shop close to my middle school (yes I was that young). I saw an cafe on this calendar (this was january) and I thought they looked so different and very loud and colourful so I gave them a listen and was hooked from then on. I quickly got into d=out, sug, alice nine, gazette, dio and others. Haven't stopped listening since. 

I think  we are talking about the same magazine. It had the same name and most of the interviews were from when bands toured in Germany and I think our ghetto people here just translated every number of the magazine and would sell it like that XD. Maybe that's why they stopped releasing it at one point /copyright got to them eventually XD/.

On 24/12/2017 at 9:14 PM, Triangle said:

I think  we are talking about the same magazine. It had the same name and most of the interviews were from when bands toured in Germany and I think our ghetto people here just translated every number of the magazine and would sell it like that XD. Maybe that's why they stopped releasing it at one point /copyright got to them eventually XD/.

I suppose you're right. I do remember it talking about their european tour. Wow what are the odds? I used to collect the posters that came with it... 

On 12/27/2017 at 6:14 PM, maryeon said:

I suppose you're right. I do remember it talking about their european tour. Wow what are the odds? I used to collect the posters that came with it... 

Hahaha same ! Even at school people would trade posters and someone would buy one number of the magazine and would get passed down to everyone in class XD. I miss Popcorn XD

My first introduction to visual kei was in early 2004 by some friends in university. The first thing they showed me was Dir en Grey (Yokan, then Raison D'etre in quick succession XD), however my first favourite that I had to have EVERYTHING of was Miyavi. I'm pretty sure I have a complete physical discography of his up until 2009 sometime, actually XD Favourite song is probably the one that got me obsessed with him in the first place: Ashita, Genki ni Naare. First *band* that I loved that much was Kagrra,, and they remain my number one band to this day, with Urei being my favourite song of theirs.

First band was Zilch. I'm a huge Killing Joke fan and got to know their bass player Paul Raven (RIP), who got me a copy of the album he'd recorded with hide. Loved it, so I started looking for other Japanese bands. The first major discovery was D'espairsRay, who just blew me away. They were my first J-rock gig too. After that it was Girugamesh and LM.C (second and third J-rock gigs lol). 

Not entirely comfortable admitting that Gackt's 'Diabolos' was an early treasure too.. ;)

My first favourite band was Dir en grey some time back around 2000. I remember Gauze wasn't that old yet. I can't at all remember how I found them, but I remained a huge fan from Gauze all the way til Withering to Death. Sometime after that I just lost interest in the changes in their music. I was so suuuuuper into Dir for so many years, had a fansite, super involved in the Dir en grey LJ community and Batsu threads, wrote cringy fanfics I wish I could forget, even ordered an expensive as fuck aknot only dvd set once. A 5 or 6 year run isn't too bad, but I was still really sad when I stopped liking their new music coming out. I still listen to them from time to time, but nothing past WtD still.

It was definitely Gackt, but very specifically Dybbuk, Uncontrol and Ares because the songs weren't credited on the site and Youtube didn't exist yet I had no way of knowing what/who I was listening to until later.

I found the songs by chance because I was trying to find a copy of the Plavalaguna opera song from Fifth Element on radio blog club...but a bunch of random shit came up instead, good thing lol. Eventually led to Malice Mizer and on from there.

Edited by karai · ebi

My first vk band as well as my first favorite was girugamesh and the first  song I heard by them was Jarring fly.

It was GACKT,

But it's already so long ago, so I don't know which song I did listen as first from him. But it was kinda in 2000-2001.

And then soon to Dir En Grey, Janne Da Arc, Pierrot, Rice....