Euronymous

Your First Favorite VK Band

going through @diryangrey's ipod in the middle of physics class and wondering what this colorful-looking album by "baroque" was and then falling in love with them and then falling thru the rabbit hole. still wondering what a "ガリロン" even is, tho

Edited by returnal

The first band that I claimed was my favorite was Vidoll, despite the fact that I got into them after they had disbanded (this was in 2013), but the first ONGOING band that i felt was my favorite was GOTCHAROCKA around the time they released Poisonous Berry...I can't say they're my favorites now tho :') no matter how much I love Jui

Funny story: it was Plastic Tree, but I had no idea they were even considered v-kei and had no idea what the band looked like until a year ago. A friend recommended them to me and I've been listening to them on and off since 2004. I didn't have an internet connection at home back then and relied on copying friends' music folders whenever I had the chance. Shirochronicle got me through a shitty military service, I'll always have a place in my heart for this album.

By the way, I found out what they looked like when I came to Japan and started looking into tour dates. It was a pleasant surprise! Love Ryutaro's emoboi hair and Moroccan grandma getup. ;)

it's either this album by penicillin

or malice mizer, and I was obsessed with glay for a while

I also liked gackt's debut mini and mars albums before Dir en grey's vulgar came out and their satanic reverberation practices took me over.

D'espairsray, who coincidentally were also the first vk band I ever heard. After they lost me with the post-Mirror singles I think it was An Cafe a short while, and then finally Dir en grey. After that I pretty much stopped having any favorite bands 

First heard Rentrer en Soi's single for "Wither" in either late 2004 or early 2005, and fell in love. Funnily enough, I had no idea what Visual Kei was and hadn't even seen a picture of the band at the time. The title track is still one of my favorite VK songs ever.

Spoiler

First VK songs I heard were MALICE MIZER's BEAST OF BLOOD and D'espairsRay's Marry of the blood, and that was back in 2003. First band I actually considered to be my favorite was Kagrra, though, and they still are to this day.

Edited by saishuu

My history with VK is kind of vague.

My first VK song is definitely the GazettE.

Because I remembered that I spin cassis for almost one month straight on high school.

But after discovering their other songs, I went to "what the hell was that?!"

I remembered I discovered Malice Mizer's Bel Air around that time too.

...wait, did my first favorite VK band is really The GazettE?!

Well that kind of embarassing :/

I can't remember exactly what band was my first band as that was almost 20 years ago (1999). XD  

I do remember the first VK songs I downloaded as it took me a couple of days with dial-up internet, which were:

• GLAY - Yuuwaku
  • L'arc en Ciel - C'est La Vie
  • Dir en grey - Cage
  • La'cryma Christi - With-You
  • Malice Mizer - Madrigal
  • Luna Sea - I For You
  • Ladies Room - Maniac Love
  • Zi:Kill - I Love Cat
  • Lareine - Metamorphose
  • Baiser - Kuchizuke
  • La'Mule - Inspire

Out of that bunch of bands, I was super crazy into La'cryma Christi until Koji left the group. 

On 2017/2/18 at 2:03 AM, CAT5 said:

First heard Rentrer en Soi's single for "Wither" in either late 2004 or early 2005, and fell in love. Funnily enough, I had no idea what Visual Kei was and hadn't even seen a picture of the band at the time. The title track is still one of my favorite VK songs ever.

Hide contents

Holy hell!! This was on my playlist for YEARS and I had no idea what it was because for some reason the file name and tags were all in gibberish. :D 

Psycho le Cemu - Roman Hikou (2003)

First "VK" song I actually liked (PV is great too), and was sort of into the album FRONTIERS. However I pretty much hated any other VK I tried at that time... stuff like Luna Sea, X Japan, Dir en Grey.. 

(actually, if you consider Janne Da Arc/Gackt/L'arc~en~Ciel circa 2003 to be VK, they'd probably be first, but I would call them J-rock at that point..)

So, aside from Psycho le Cemu, I continued to ignore all VK until 2009 when I chanced upon exist†trace's VANGUARD. They helped me get over my aversion to growling/screaming. I listened to them extensively for nearly a year until I discovered D'espairsRay's LOVE IS DEAD, which I paid attention to mostly because I thought the "You Spin Me Round" similarities were hilarious. Thus began my VK obsession.

Edited by peffy

48 minutes ago, desparejo86 said:

A .rm (RealVideo) file of "Au Revior" by Malice Mizer got my into visual way way back in 2001.

Ahhhh, that takes me back...

Great times.

7 minutes ago, r... said:

Ahhhh, that takes me back...

Great times.

No doubt. I used to have a sweet collection of like 4 hide music videos in .ASF format. Simpler times, man.