Sign in to follow this  
zaa_zaa

"Hypocricy" in the music taste of some j-rock listeners.

Let me start off with saying that I have listened to j-rock since 2009, and listen to plenty of other genres.

What I still can't kind of get my head around is actually with the introduction of more or less extreme sounding bands (for j-rock), such as Deviloof and Nocturnal Bloodlust, one might see plenty of examples of rejection of other bands from different countries, playing such type of music with more quality, or glorifying j-rock bands (I'm getting tired of seeing how genius Deviloof are, while they are, at best, mediocre at their focus genre, but with some good ideas).

I understand that there's some sort of confirmation bias at place, and willful ignorance, but I wonder if anyone noticed the same pattern.

Cheers.

Edited by zaa_zaa
spelling

hope you're prepared for the usual stale arguments of

• i don't understand the language which means its better because western lyrics are usually bad!!
  • glorious nihonjin make ongaku better than white devils
  • something about not being mainstream

also cheers

I remembering people criticizing kpop fans for the same thing, since some of them claimed to hate western rap when kpop didn't differ that much from it except for the language. 

However, there's no simple answer. People are who they are, and they like what they like. Why not just leave it at that? There's simply no point in arguing with people about their music taste.

Cheers.

deviloof or die!11!!!

Cheers. pt 2

Edited by itsukoii

Yeah, I guess that's the same for any die-hardcore fans that do not want to somehow expand their views.

I myself came to j-rock from black and suicidal metal, and, boy, was it a transition.

Nokubura are fun! :-P But I also like shitty emo/screamo, metalcore and nu-metal that totally kills my hipster-indie cred.

But yeah, I think it's a mixture of not having listened to enough music in general and some sort of superiority/inferiority (depends on how you look at it) complex with your own culture. Coming from a non English-speaking country, I had the same approach towards western music as a kid, thinking everything in my native language sucked and American/British bands were superior even though they did exactly the same genres as the bands I was refusing to listen to.

anyone a bit familiar with the stereotype of jrock listeners already know the answer: pure and simple obsession with anything that comes from Japan. Most of japanese vocalists sucks balls compared to their western genre equivalent (rap, vkei/rock, pop, indie...), and people care? no they don't. Several VK bands rehashes riffs/song structures from more sucessful western acts. people care? no, they still do not care. They just need a nippon tag and any problem suddenly doesn't matter.

and it is what it is, you are looking for common sense in a pool of unreasonable, fanatic people. better save your breath.

ps: Deviloof is terrible, jeeeesus

also, cheers!

Edited by chemicalpictures

>> qotka - I feel your pain, bro =D coming from a non English-speaking country I experienced the same.

>> chemicalpictures - DONT U DARE SAY THAT THE GODS OF HEAVY J-ROCK ARE TERRIBLE!!! LOOK AT THEIR RIFFS - 00010000100001001110000103.
While I sometimes like to listen to zero-core, that's freaking amusing to read all these odes to Deviloof when their new release comes up.

oh my God, I'm just venting my frustration, I guess. Oh well.

I always thought many western vkei fans didn't even listen to regular j-rock/j-indie/j-pop/ etc., listening to vkei almost exclusively? But maybe it's part obsession / part wanting to feel unique. 

Or maybe, just maybe, they just happen to prefer how it sounds? Of course I'm only speaking for myself here, but I'm really big on vocals... not only in the quality/talent but the general "sound". If you gave me the same song with an English-speaking native singing in English and a Japanese-speaking native singing in Japanese, I'd almost always choose the latter. I find that Japanese just sounds more pleasing and flows better to me (likely due to the consonant-to-vowel ratio) than the harsher sounds of a Germanic language, for example.

Cheers m8

19 minutes ago, Biopanda said:

Or maybe, just maybe, they just happen to prefer how it sounds? Of course I'm only speaking for myself here, but I'm really big on vocals... not only in the quality/talent but the general "sound". If you gave me the same song with an English-speaking native singing in English and a Japanese-speaking native singing in Japanese, I'd almost always choose the latter. I find that Japanese just sounds more pleasing and flows better to me (likely due to the consonant-to-vowel ratio) than the harsher sounds of a Germanic language, for example.

This af.

I'm not denying the OP's observations about a certain bias some fans may have, but at the same time, I think a lot of people downplay the uniqueness of different languages themselves. When it comes down to it, it's extremely difficult to find bands singing in different languages that actually manage to "sound" like each other. Even if a German-language band existed that sounded, musically, exactly like THE NOVEMBERS or something, I highly doubt I'd ever enjoy listening to them as much as Japanese NOVEMBERS, just from a phonetic standpoint. And this is coming from someone who studies/teaches/otherwise loves German.

But there's all kinds of biases. There's fans that never go beyond English-language or Anglo/European music. There's Japanese music fans that don't dare touch VK, because it would ruin their cred. There's VK fans who put the blinders on to any other scene or country's music.

Agreeing with @Biopandaand @fitear1590 - Phonetically, Japanese has always resonated with me for whatever reason. I may sound like a helpless weeb saying this (and I am =P), but it never really sounded "foreign" to my ears. I've always found the language beautiful and smooth, whereas hearing other languages sung was initially jarring for me, and required time for me to really get used to them, if at all.

As for the OP -  I definitely think it's interesting to discuss these patterns, but I'm not sure if "hypocrisy" has any bearing in regards to music appreciation (and you probably already understand this with your use of quotations in the title). I say that because you need some kind of static, objective reference to discern if something is hypocritical or not, and music appreciation is far too ambiguous for a judgment like "hypocrisy" to be applied, let alone relevant. 

Sign in to follow this