Sign in to follow this  
SilverEspeon__

Opinions on YOHIO's Together We Stand Alone album?

(I apologize in advance if this topic is in the wrong section)

For those who are actually interested and have given it a listen, what were your opinions on the album? I honestly don't think it was too bad (though that may just be me being biased and horrible at judging music) and I thought it was better than BREAK the BORDER (which you didn't seem to like that much judging from it's thread), but I'm also curious as to what others thought about it. I'm not asking this just because I like it or to try and blindly defend the album or YOHIO, I'm just wondering.

I know I'm very late in asking this (it was released like, in 2014 or something) and that I'm probably getting annoying with my YOHIO (and DISREIGN) posts, but I never found a thread about YOHIO's third album on here (which is probably for many good reasons I'm not aware of) and I'm just curious as to what your opinions are.

Edited by SilverEspeon__

1 hour ago, Takadanobabaalien said:

both albums were shite imo. disreign is the only good thing he has done so far.

Although I don't think the albums were too bad (though I can see why people may not like it as crazy as that sounds), I can agree that DISREIGN is the best he has done. It sounds much better to me.

1 hour ago, nekkichi said:

you miiiiiight want to give last.fm a shot in your pursuit of finding other yohimbe fans.

Er, I was not looking for fans, I was just wondering what other people thought about it since there was no thread about it here. I won't judge anyone for disliking it.

Edited by SilverEspeon__

37 minutes ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

the visual-kei facebook group also has an alarmingly high tolerance for eastern european 'vkey bands'

Um, okay?

2 hours ago, SilverEspeon__ said:

Er, I was not looking for fans, I was just wondering what other people thought about it since there was no thread about it here. I won't judge anyone for disliking it.

If there's no thread here, that implies no one cared enough to listen to it. I don't want to speak for everyone on this forum, but YOHIO isn't popular here for many reasons and opening discussion won't make him more popular. Some just hate because he's living the dream. Others hate because he sounds like a transplant of poorly-done visual kei (note NOT a poorly-done visual kei transplant; if he actually sounded decent he might have fans). For me, it always seemed as if YOHIO wasn't popular more so because he took the rose-tinted glasses off the scene so we can see what caked-on foundation and desperation looks like and less because he sucks musically. The man can shred a guitar, select western audiences are becoming slightly more receptive to less traditional metal aesthetics, and I've heard worse visual kei bands stanned for less. Seremedy was hot garbage and I'm glad that's gone, and whatever side project that spawned off of the four leftover members is equally as irrelevant, but DISREIGN is proof of western scenes willing to accept visual kei for me; it's a budget The GazettE clone but no one minds because they're palatable enough to get by.

consider this my mini review of his entire career.

9 hours ago, Zeus said:

If there's no thread here, that implies no one cared enough to listen to it. I don't want to speak for everyone on this forum, but YOHIO isn't popular here for many reasons and opening discussion won't make him more popular. Some just hate because he's living the dream. Others hate because he sounds like a transplant of poorly-done visual kei (note NOT a poorly-done visual kei transplant; if he actually sounded decent he might have fans). For me, it always seemed as if YOHIO wasn't popular more so because he took the rose-tinted glasses off the scene so we can see what caked-on foundation and desperation looks like and less because he sucks musically. The man can shred a guitar, select western audiences are becoming slightly more receptive to less traditional metal aesthetics, and I've heard worse visual kei bands stanned for less. Seremedy was hot garbage and I'm glad that's gone, and whatever side project that spawned off of the four leftover members is equally as irrelevant, but DISREIGN is proof of western scenes willing to accept visual kei for me; it's a budget The GazettE clone but no one minds because they're palatable enough to get by.

consider this my mini review of his entire career.

I know that. I mentioned that there were probably many good reasons for there being no thread here about it that I wasn't aware of, but I just got curious and wanted to ask. And I know many don't like him, and I can understand why.

And what you wrote was actually quite interesting to read. Thanks for sharing! :) 

So, I interpret all of this as that you didn't like the album or any of YOHIO's solo works, huh? Well, that's fine. Didn't really expect anything else. But I just wanted to ask.

3 hours ago, Ro plz said:

Even though i do find that one DISREIGN sign boss, i vote we blacklist Western v-kei bands (or as i like to call em: Swed-kei) from discussion here lmao

Or black listing YOHIO in general would suffice. 

yYa94.gif

What do you have against Western VK? And why do you call it "Swed-kei"? Is there a Swedish VK scene I'm not aware about?

It's not an inherent dislike of Western visual-kei in my case, but it's more that just about every Western visual-kei band has tried to emulate styles and hallmarks that I find to be the worst part of the scene, mixed with occidental influences that I also dislike.

I say most because there have been a handful of examples that really weren't too bad. 

While I do not have any official numbers, and this may just be confirmation bias, but it does seem like most Western vkei bands come from Sweden (especially in response to Yohio getting attention at whatever that European American Idol thing everyone on Twitter cares about, as well as in Japan from people like Dada and Kenzi. He more or less made the dream real).

There's a fair number from Brazil and Chile as well, but outside of their own attempts at promoting themselves on last.fm, here, or on Facebook, they never really got much attention.

55 minutes ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

It's not an inherent dislike of Western visual-kei in my case, but it's more that just about every Western visual-kei band has tried to emulate styles and hallmarks that I find to be the worst part of the scene, mixed with occidental influences that I also dislike.

I say most because there have been a handful of examples that really weren't too bad. 

While I do not have any official numbers, and this may just be confirmation bias, but it does seem like most Western vkei bands come from Sweden (especially in response to Yohio getting attention at whatever that European American Idol thing everyone on Twitter cares about, as well as in Japan from people like Dada and Kenzi. He more or less made the dream real).

There's a fair number from Brazil and Chile as well, but outside of their own attempts at promoting themselves on last.fm, here, or on Facebook, they never really got much attention.

Ah, okay. I can kinda see why people may dislike it now. I never really got the impression Sweden had that many VK bands/artists... I thought for sure the US had more... But maybe there are more of them in Sweden than I know of...

For me it also simple

visual kei is something from Japan.

Of course you can play visual kei if you are not from Japan.

But then I prefer simply Japanese visual kei.

But there are enough bands of the west which can be also named as visual kei. actually all kind of not normal dressed rocking emo screemo bands.  It's still also a bit of visual kei.

17 minutes ago, DarkWater said:

For me it also simple

visual kei is something from Japan.

Of course you can play visual kei if you are not from Japan.

But then I prefer simply Japanese visual kei.

But there are enough bands of the west which can be also named as visual kei. actually all kind of not normal dressed rocking emo screemo bands.  It's still also a bit of visual kei.

Okay...

And alright? Never really thought about it that way... And I probably won't because I'll probably not remember, but whatever.

This horse has been thoroughly beaten. lmao.

Gn8CjU1.gif

I gave "Together We Stand Alone" a quick spin. It's a very Western release. I can see the appeal, just not my thing. Wouldn't be an album I would talk about in a VK forum. Has a lot of 00's teeny-bopper feel to it.

I can't point to a music niche that this album does well. Justin Bieber can write love songs that are more dignified than "You're the One". A7X's "The Stage" is a good example of catchy rock music that goes hard, not this album.

It's not a bad album. There's just better picks out there. I didn't actually listen to the album front-to-back. I just skimmed through parts to get a general gist. It was hard for me to stomach a full listen.

His work on DISREIGN is far better; but DISREIGN, in comparison to the standard VK fare like DADAROMA and RAZOR, leaves a lot to be desired in terms of originality. Being Gazette-lite is common for VK Indie bands, but bands like those don't get respect in the international VK community.

Edited by Dillinger

6 hours ago, Dillinger said:

This horse has been thoroughly beaten. lmao.

Gn8CjU1.gif

I gave "Together We Stand Alone" a quick spin. It's a very Western release. I can see the appeal, just not my thing. Wouldn't be an album I would talk about in a VK forum. Has a lot of 00's teeny-bopper feel to it.

I can't point to a music niche that this album does well. Justin Bieber can write love songs that are more dignified than "You're the One". A7X's "The Stage" is a good example of catchy rock music that goes hard, not this album.

It's not a bad album. There's just better picks out there. I didn't actually listen to the album front-to-back. I just skimmed through parts to get a general gist. It was hard for me to stomach a full listen.

His work on DISREIGN is far better; but DISREIGN, in comparison to the standard VK fare like DADAROMA and RAZOR, leaves a lot to be desired in terms of originality. Being Gazette-lite is common for VK Indie bands, but bands like those don't get respect in the international VK community.

I know, I know. I just wanted to know. 

And alright. I understand what you mean.

Thanks for sharing!

The only thing I knew about Yohio was DISREIGN, and only because they followed me randomly on my private twitter. I gave their music a shot, it was alright to me-but Yohio as a person in general I don't care for and that's sort of a deal breaker for me.