CAT5

Recommended Tracks: January 2017

Recommended Tracks: January 2017  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What were your favorite Recommended Tracks this month?

• "A Little Picture" by UNiTE.
    • "itsuwari e no shoutai" by temaneki
    • "Shimokitazawa" by Ailiph Doepa
    • "toukamaku" by Soan Project with Akuta
    • "Cerberus" by Soutaiseiriron
    • "Bitter" by ryokushaka
    • "joubutsu dekinai" by melacholic-sharaku
    • "after that" by Boku no Lyric no Boyomi
    • "Hit It Up" by Omoinotake
    • "FIVEFOLD ENVY" by VRZEL
    • "with you" by Ramiel
    • "Kimi wo koroshite boku mo shinu (uso)" by SCAPEGOAT
    • "North Park" by PENS+
    • "SNOOZE" by Suchmos
    • "close2u" by G.RINA

QIhIFVR.png

Greetings, Monochrome-Heaven! Welcome to our first installment of Recommended Tracks for the year 2017! Things are already off to a great start and we've got a wonderful selection of new songs to recommend! So let's get straight to it! :D 

(We apologize if some videos aren't available due to region restrictions!)

@fitear1590's Picks

"A Little Picture" by ユナイト

"A Little Picture" by UNiTE.

AJameyw.png

2016 was a fairly slow year for UNiTE., with only a maxi-single and three digitally released tracks. Although a bit over-produced, "A Little Picture" is a joyous return for the band. While I haven't gotten my hands on a physical copy to check the liner notes yet, I'd bet that the guest saxophone is by RUPPA. For those who are looking forward to listening to the entire release, head on over to streaming services like Spotify! The single's PV is simple, but delightful, featuring some of the best production value for the band's videos so far. Filtered through a soft pastel aesthetic, we get to see the members frolic around in a paint studio. #literallyartkei
Spoiler

"偽りへの招待" by テマネキ 

"itsuwari e no shoutai" by temaneki

VAZigSQ.png

I've also gotta keep an eye on the little guys! As far as I know, temaneki are a trio of newbies in the scene and, boy, are they rough around the edges. Their look is lacking some serious polish and their production is out of whack. And yet, I'm drawn to their first single! Clunky synth arrangements aside, I am loving their melodies. The chorus has the kind of dramatic edge that I live for in VK. I'm curious to see where temaneki will go from here!
Spoiler

"Shimokitazawa" by Ailiph Doepa

GeLXj4i.png

Now this is my kind of random discovery. As far as I can tell, no one has posted about Ailiph Doepa on MH yet, but I'm sure they would be up a lot of people's alleys. They've got the quirky, spastic touch of bands like The Blood Brothers or early バックドロップシンデレラ (Backdrop Cinderella), but with the djent savvy to pull off some bursts of truly heavy stuff. Plus, the band seem to have a great sense of humor, with stage names like Eyegargoyle (vocals) and Donaldy Ketchup (drums). I am going back to check out the rest of their discography, stat!
Spoiler

"透過幕" by Soanプロジェクトwith芥

"toukamaku" by Soan Project with Akuta

pDYSI2T.png

Collaborative 'projects' aren't uncommon in VK: HIZAKI grace project, Kisaki Project~Lily Project~, and so on. Well, Soan Project happens to be the latest, most notably featuring Moran drummer and composer Soan, with vocalist Akuta (Chanty, ex-Administrator). I hadn't been following the Soundcloud samples prior to the release, so when I heard the mini, I was going in 'blind.' It doesn't sound like Moran x Chanty by any means, but I'm still impressed--it's cool to hear these musicians work in a new style! This particular track is angsty with gorgeous backing piano and an epic guitar solo. Next month, Soan's collaboration with Temari (ex-Amber gris) comes out!
Spoiler

@beni's Picks

"ケルベロス" by 相対性理論

"Cerberus" by Soutaiseiriron

E0Ky1RN.png

Sotaiseiriron have been around since 2006. While the band tend to keep to themselves, as shown by their lack of appearances in promotional pictures and music videos, Sotaiseiriron have a massive fanbase. For those who have never heard of them or have yet to try them, don't leave that experience waiting any longer! Trust me. Those who already know and like singers like Bonjour Suzuki and DAOKO will have a field day with Sōtaiseiriron too because of the similar vocal work. Yakushimaru Etsuko's whimsical yet cute voice against the rocking music and repeated strings and chords make for a funky, sweet tune. That chorus is undeniably adorable and won't be leaving your head any time soon. And how could I not bring up the music video? An Okami-like animated sequence of a baby Cerberus can only mean one thing: cuteness overload.
Spoiler

"Bitter" by 緑黄色社会

"Bitter" by ryokushaka

wQ2Uwiz.png

This newly debuting band (yes band, don't let the music video fool you too into thinking it's a solo artist!) are instantly showing a lot of potential. Thanks to the bright music video, the tune takes me back to acts like Sugar's Campaign and Awesome City Club. While the video is simple at best, it's still a pleasure. I can't be the only one finding myself joining in with their singer Haruko Nagaya's random hand dancing in the chorus! For those interested, their first mini album Nice To Meet You?? dropped earlier this month!
Spoiler

"成仏できない" by メランコリック写楽

"joubutsu dekinai" by melacholic-sharaku

CynV43F.png

If there's a band I'm sure JPopsuki and AramaJapan! will jump on sooner or later, it's melancholic-sharaku. The Seiko Oomori like vocals are becoming a real trend with some breaking indie acts recently, and these guys are no different. But what I love about them is the insanely catchy pop chorus. By the first chorus on my first listen, I was sold. Nothing more can be said for these guys other than I hope they stick to this path. For those who like a good time and want something new, goofy (just check out that MV) and obscure for now, melancholic-sharaku are your order.
Spoiler

"after that" by ぼくのりりっくのぼうよみ

"after that" by Boku no Lyric no Boyomi

H9HKzWV.png

I was recommended by @CAT5 to try this guy's second album release Noah's Arc. It's a great 2017 album and chock-full of brilliant songs, one of them being "after that". For such a young artist, at the age of 18, bokuriri is already proving to be a star. The composition reminds me of other musical geniuses I've been impressed with such as Nakashima Kohbokuriri has quite the distinctive voice and his lyrical delivery even changes from singing to rap. It's no surprise then that he came from the Utaite scene, going under the name of Shigaisen before he became the professional artist we see today. This is a masterpiece of a track that I hope encourages you to give the full length album a go!
Spoiler

"Hit It Up" by Omoinotake

nFpbNJ0.png

"Hit It Up"? More like Groove Me Up! While the vocals could leave something to be desired, the sheer music quality of this smooth, swinging track doesn't disappoint. The tune gets progressively more involved, with the climax being solos of everything involved, from the piano, to the trumpet and vocals! This feelgood track gets better with each and every listen. I'm sure glad I stumbled on these boys!
Spoiler

@emmny's Picks

"FIVEFOLD ENVY" by VRZEL

oZTfzhw.png

VRZEL helped us ring in the new year with "FIVEFOLD ENVY" in all its divine ratchetness, and for that we'll be blessed in 2017 with a whole lot more messy, guilty pleasure Gazetteisms. The brainchild of vocalist Cion, VRZEL have been active for far too long and refused to die even after a bunch of lineup changes. Within all that time, they've courted a flock of high school girls as fans, which is a pretty decent outcome for a guy who sounds like post-2010 Ruki trying to make his best impression of a post-2010 Gazette song. This is all so wrong yet so, so right; until we're called up to explain our sins...enjoy this *wink*.
Spoiler

"with you" by ラミエル 

"with you" by Ramiel

YZx0TOk.png

Ramiel were the most pleasant surprise of 2016 for me, a totally cute pop-rock band with the concept of "love" signed onto Satanic Shimizuya records, a label known for producing Avelcain, Lycaon and Sibilebashir. They're a breath of fresh air with a sound recalling older oshare acts, and "with you" is a love letter to the genre. Melodic lead lines, nasal vocals, crack-like chorus, lovely engrish, crap production and just overall loveliness make up the song. They're lovely, in case you didn't get how lovely this already was from listening. Very lovely, super lovely...all my love to Ramiel.
Spoiler

"君を殺して僕も死ぬ(嘘)" by SCAPEGOAT

"Kimi wo koroshite boku mo shinu (uso)" by SCAPEGOAT

Q2MbpnQ.png

SCAPEGOAT come back hot off the heels of their killer string of 2016 releases with their best song so far, and a strong contender for song of the year for 2017...all before 2017 even started. "Kimi wo..." is an odd, chaotic mishmash of elements yet incredibly sharp and catchy, SCAPEGOAT's signature. A lover's suicide gone wrong, the frantic chorus is broken up by wedding organs and glockenspiel throughout. Whereas a lot of bands try to play crazy, SCAPEGOAT do it for real; moving through eerily saccharine verses, building up the tension before Haru whispers the track title and all hell breaks loose.
Spoiler

@CAT5's Picks

"North Park" by PENS+

aiAA84u.png

PENS+ is a young, talented, and lively emo/math-rock band that plays with technical proficiency, but writes songs as catchy as they come. Arai Ryo, leader and vocalist/guitarist, lists bands like cinema staff, the cabs, and malegoat as his favorites - all of which have played a clear role in influencing PENS+. They just dropped a new split CD with American band Leer, and it's a fantastic, international pairing of quality math-rock. On "North Park", PENS+ speedily traverse the fret board while keeping your ears hooked with their bright and infectious melodies. The entire split is great, though. If you like what you hear, be sure to pick it up on bandcamp for SUPER cheap!
Spoiler

"SNOOZE" by Suchmos

3X0FYye.png

I'm generally pretty critical of Japanese bands that incorporate traditionally 'black' music styles, as more often than not, I feel they sound like parodies instead of authentic interpretations of the genres. Suchmos, however, has done a fairly convincing job so far. They've been riding the city-pop wave that's been trending lately, but their sound emphasizes smooth funk and soul grooves - perhaps most similar to UNCHAIN. Their new album THE KIDS just dropped, and "SNOOZE" was easily the standout track for me. It's got a bit of a gritty hip-hop feel to it mixed with some hard-driving funk-rock, yet it's entirely soulful throughout. You'll be bopping along in no time to this one!
Spoiler

"close2u" by G.RINA

2qstU2k.png

Speaking of city-pop, G.RINA is back with her new album LIVE & LEARN - her second foray into the style following 2015's Lotta Love. The album's a great set of catchy pop that draws heavily from 80's funk and R&B, and it's the most confident and assured that I've ever heard her. "close2u", the second track on the album, is an instant jam and G.RINA sings (and raps!) with the coolest conviction. It's a great, feel-good tune to get the year started with.
Spoiler

Thanks for checking out our recommendations this month! If you have any thoughts on our list or recommendations of your own, please feel free to comment below! If you're interested in being a guest contributor, contact either @CAT5 :lleft:

SCAPEGOAT's my shit this month! "君を殺して僕も死ぬ (嘘)" was awesome and the b-side "朱殷ノ契リ" was even better imo. Definitely a 10/10. Best release this month. 

Holy smokes @fitear1590that Ailiph Doepa band are on some next level Maximum the Hormone drugs. I like it. And I totally missed the news Akuta was working with Soan. It's definitely a sound I wasn't really expecting. 

@beni Sad that Bokuriri video doesn't work for me but I will go get the album sound unheard because I know it's gonna be great tbh. I loved his last release!

@emmny That Scapegoat track is giving me so many old school vibes.  I 'm kind of biased as hell with them already, but I agree with everything you said in the blurb. They're one of the bands I'm really on board with the crazy style changes in the same song because they know how to make it work. 

100% agreement on that Suchmos song being a bop. I didn't even know they had a new release out. Thanks for this @CAT5.  The changes you made to the post style look great too, btw. 

13 hours ago, CAT5 said:

VRZEL helped us ring in the new year with "FIVEFOLD ENVY" in all its divine ratchetness, and for that we'll be blessed in 2017 with a whole lot more messy, guilty pleasure Gazetteisms. The brainchild of vocalist Cion, VRZEL have been active for far too long and refused to die even after a bunch of lineup changes. Within all that time, they've courted a flock of high school girls as fans, which is a pretty decent outcome for a guy who sounds like post-2010 Ruki trying to make his best impression of a post-2010 Gazette song. This is all so wrong yet so, so right; until we're called up to explain our sins...

@emmny, as usual, reading my mind when it comes to these guys XD

1 hour ago, doombox said:

100% agreement on that Suchmos song being a bop. I didn't even know they had a new release out. Thanks for this @CAT5.  The changes you made to the post style look great too, btw. 

I'd never listened to them before, but I really enjoyed that track! It vaguely reminded me of this D'Angelo song

And thank you so much! Your approval means a lot!!:yay::lolita_love:

14 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

I'd never listened to them before, but I really enjoyed that track! It vaguely reminded me of this D'Angelo song

I wouldn't put it past them to be heavily inspired by D'angelo. But if you like this song I highly recommend you check out their previous releases. I have 2 from last year and I like them a lot. 

Your hard work is appreciated. You're always working to improve things around here and it does not go unnoticed. :wan-04:

@fitear1590 thank you for mentioning Ailiph Doepa! This is some hilarious (and good) stuff!

Edited by qotka
idk how to tag apparently lol

On 02/02/2017 at 7:31 AM, CAT5 said:

My mind saw D'Angelo and thought it was some comment on Karyu being in Angelo and something had happened that I was unaware of.

I am not a smart fellow.