Sign in to follow this  
Rika

The 1st Livehouse attended in Japan?

On 31 January, 2017 at 0:25 AM, TODORA said:

duo Music Exchange for MoNoLith in 2013
It was all so confusing because I didn´t know anything about lives with multible bands and the fact that I couldn´t speak japanese AT ALL was anything but helpful xD

Still, up to this day I am wondering how japanese fans know so well which band will be next on stage, without any anouncement whatsoever..

the fans will know - somehow :P

On 31 January, 2017 at 3:09 AM, Biopanda said:

Way more than my first time going to AREA and there were only like 5 other people there. Granted, that was the same day as Versailles' last live, so I guess VK fans were busy... I was just being an indiefag and going to the no1curr band's live.

hahaha I was attending Versailles last live then :P

Takadonobaba AREA in 2010 for PERESTROIKA, but Seventh Sense, Valluna and a bunch of other bands were playing - it was fun but also interesting watching all the saizen shift around for each band / all the elaborate furi going on

I don't know the name of the place, it was somewhere in the depths of Tokyo with a bunch of 13 year old lolita girls (a few of which sold me tickets to go because I like missed some j-memo about ticket ordering before i went.) It was to see ELM who at the time wasn't anything but a budding indie band that would probably fail. I didn't know any of the hand dances and stuck out like a sore thumb

this is a neat thread. i thought there would be more overlapping firsts. mine was Shinjuku MARZ in 2009. if you haven't had the pleasure of trying to find that place, it fucking sucks. i asked at the same koban twice until eventually some random guy at a conbini was like "you idiots have passed by a lot, do you need help?" and walked us over to it. i don't understand why he knew where it was tbh.

i went mostly to see born, but the event was D-ZEL's kaisan live and the other bands there were Like Absolute Myself, ReivieЯ, DEPAIN, and Administrator. i went with a girl who didn't really have much experience with rock music and she was pissed when someone from DEPAIN threw shit at her (I told her it was a pick and she picked it up). the venue basically cleared out after all the bands but D-ZEL were on, i felt a bit bad for them.

in a similar vein, do you have a favorite livehouse? mine probably would have been Shibuya AX, RIP.

For me it was Shibuya O-nest in summer 2008 (way before they went TSUTAYA)...

I would need to dig a bit for full line-up (can't really remember); it was a Hardcore-Punk show but I went for the 5.6.7.8's who also played there.

Favourite livehouse... hmm, difficult... but definitely the smaller (non-corporate) ones...

I really enjoyed the regular Sunday midday-lives at mona records live-space; nice laid back indie-music in a very relaxing atmosphere - just perfect!

As for 'regular' livehouses: most of the time I went to the Shimokitazawa-venues, e.g. Club Que, basement bar, Mosaic...

Good memories on Shinjuku Red Cloth and Zher the ZOO YOYOGI also.

As of finding the venues -> I usually went 'venue-scouting' soon enough; earlier at the day of the live or even a few days in advance when I happened to be at the right ward. Saved my a** quite a few times as some of the venues are really not that easy to find - even with directions - and the concerts literally always start on-point so you better don't be late.

My favorite live houses would have to be like Shinsaibashi DROP, Shinsaibashi VARON or Umeda Zeela. They're in a group of sister live houses and the atmosphere is just super chill. It's good that I like them because my lives are almost exclusively at these three live houses these days lol...

I also like Hiroshima's Second Clutch for no particular reason.

On the other hand I'm not too terribly fond of most Tokyo live houses. 

Live houses I have a problem with:

• AREA & Edge because of staff. Also AREA's bathrooms are gross and the sound is bad.
  • FANJ twice: long, narrow, stage is incredibly high (which is goodish if you're in the back but up front not so much), the rail is horrible, etc
  • Kitahorie Pan Koujo: long, narrow, the stage is so low that if you're in the back you can't see ANYTHING. They don't give you bread anymore!! 
  • Minamihorie Socore Factory: it's the same as pan koujo
  • Any live house like Live House D, Namba Rockets (RIP), and duo music exchange that has huge freaking columns in the middle of it

venue scouting is the smart idea but in my later years gps gives me false confidence that i will always find it immediately, even though that's patently untrue....

i have very little experience with Osaka livehouses so i hope i get the chance to try that group someday -- aside from BIG CAT i have only been to nishikujo brand new. not a huge fan of the trains overhead...

columns are the actual worst. i rebuke shinjuku loft and nagoya bottom line because of it. shinjuku loft especially is trash tier. if you need to put a screen on the column that shows a blurry live cam of the stage for the poor girls who are stuck behind it, maybe your livehouse isn't designed well.

i also hate shibuya glad because i fell down the stairs in front of the bar every. single. time. and my dignity can only take so much

i realized i didn't give CHOP the love it deserves, and Nagoya's electric lady land group of live houses are all pretty nice and home-y IMO.

Mine was last month when I saw Merry (as well as Sukekiyo and Inugami Circus Dan, who were guests) at Misono Universe in Osaka. We didn't have too much difficulty finding it (we figured it out by the line forming outside) but we didn't realize that the tickets were numbered! At standing room shows in America, you go in in the order you got in line, so we had tickets 115 and 116 but didn't go in until they were doing last call for 1-300. Fortunately, one of the fans next to us asked me what our numbers were and told us very urgently to go inside! XD

the first time i came to japan i was SUPPOSED TO first be seeing mejibray's oneman tour final at zepp divercity (june 2014). it would have been my first show in japan my favourite band's big show and i was so excitedddd for months.

but meto had that accident where he fell out a window or whatever and everything got rescheduled for months later.

so my first show ended up being nokubura at shinjuku blaze.

LOOP of HEAVEN 2005 put on by Loop Ash at Shibuya O-West (now Tsutaya O-West).

It was a taiban with ISABELLE, Heart, Kamikaze Shonen Dan, Himitsu Kessha Codomo A, Clavier, Kenllre (Kinarura), and Billy.

I mainly went for ISABELLE (Aya and seek's first side project after PLC went on hiatus) and Himitsu Kessha Codomo A.

Edited by jaymee

Sign in to follow this