Traxan

Exist Trace

I'm curious to know from long-time fans what it is that bothers you about the band's change. Is it purely the music, or that they abandoned the VK style as well?

I see the bitching here and elsewhere about the band's new style and while a part of me wants to say get over it, because I like their new sound a lot, I also know the deep disappointment of a band you once loved turning to garbage. Aldious has been a constant disappointment with Re:No, although that's nothing compared to what happened to In Flames, a band that released 3 consecutive masterpieces and one great album, has turned into. But there, it was a massive change in sound, and for the worse. Much worse. I cannot believe the band that made "Colony" made "Siren Charms."

So tell me, what is it that upsets people so much about new Exist Trace?

I haven't heard their newer sound, but I really would like to. I honestly thought they weren't around anymore since I wasn't hearing anything about them. It's a matter of preference too, so you never know how people will receive change. All bands change eventually.

8 hours ago, midi:nette said:

indies era - one of the best bands around

major era - garbage, kill it with fire

This is what I mean...

Care to elaborate on your dislike?

11 hours ago, Traxan said:

This is what I mean...

Care to elaborate on your dislike?

They succumbed to the generic poppy bullshit that major bands often do these days for the extra yens, and basically sound like some boring j-pop girl band. That potential that they had built up over the last 10 yrs or so just got brutally shit on and thrown in the trash.

Just disband already, they've already done enough damage to themselves.

Edited by midi:nette

I stopped listening at their new stuff at TWIN GATE.

I was in love with their dark side, so I didn't follow them after this.

But I heard their song "daybreak" and "リトル・メアリーと美しき憎しみのドナウ" which is lovely in love.

may i give her some chance ?

So it's the feeling of sellout and dropping the dark imagery. Ok I get that. It happens a lot, and occasionally turns the band from a cult band to a monster success, like Journey, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, and Chicago.

I also had a WTF reaction to World Maker, but they pulled back a little with This is Now and I think it was quite good.  But I don't see them as generic J Rock. Jyou is too distinctive a vocalist, she and Miko do great two-part harmonies (like Ginger) and Mally is one of the best drummers around.

I'd be much happier with them if they'd release at least one edgy song along the lines of Knife, Daybreak, Vanguard or Resonance. Just to reassure us that they still have it in them.

Well... people change. Female artists in particular seem to go through more career changes than men. Male artists can do the same shit for 40 years like AC/DC or Motorhead but female artists seem to be in constant flux through their careers. It could be that the ET women, now in their 30s, just don't have the angst any more.

4 hours ago, Traxan said:

Well... people change. Female artists in particular seem to go through more career changes than men. Male artists can do the same shit for 40 years like AC/DC or Motorhead but female artists seem to be in constant flux through their careers. It could be that the ET women, now in their 30s, just don't have the angst any more.

or maybe their producers force them to be like some jpop idol girl group so they can molest them, cuz it's obvious that they have the hots for Miko ☕☕☕

Edited by midi:nette

2 hours ago, Zalemu said:

Their World Maker album had a couple of good songs, this being one of them imo.

Oh that is very different, but it is catchy I must admit. I enjoyed it, though if I was listening to it without knowing who I was listening to I do not think I would have been easily able to identify them.

exist trace is my favourite band of all time so I inherently love everything but here are my thoughts:
As someone who got into them as they were releasing things like TRUE and Daybreak which was pretty much their transition periods I like both versions of the band. That said I do like their darker/heavier rock stuff more but their newer "poppier" stuff has some qualities and are enjoyable if you get past the thought of them being a gothic band (though this might be a biased perspective admittedly) However they have had some questionable releases like Spiral Daisakusen though I don't hate that song per se it was still a little bit weak for me. However, since employing a more lighter or "sell out" sound as some would call it they have been trying to incorporate a darker style into their newer songs which leads me to believe that they're listening to the negative feedback they're getting for the poppy stuff. So for those of you who don't like their pop/rock stuff I encourage you to listen to songs like RAZE, BLAST, THIS IS NOW, and Feel as those songs have a more modern sound while still keeping to their gothic roots
I also want to mention that it's totally fine to not like their new sound but some of the comments I've seen about their new sound are going a little too far. People need to understand that music is something that needs to evolve otherwise your sound will get stale, also music is their job they need to make money so unfortunately sometimes that means "selling out" and incorporating a more accessible sound but I find that most VK bands that do that leave that to the PV songs while the other songs remain relatively closer to their roots so you need to keep up with everything (though I understand that is literally impossible with all these amazing bands out there) 
But I totally understand why people don't like exist trace with their new sound and you are free to have your opinion and I don't expect my biased fan opinion to change that I just thought I'd add in my two cents and encourage those who are considering leaving the band for good to listen to the songs I previously mentioned and give them a second chance as I don't like seeing people just blindly saying "disband already" about my favourite band as I'm sure the people saying that wouldn't like it as well

PS: I've had a couple drinks so this may not be 100% c ohesive but these are still essentially my thoughts

On 2017-1-14 at 9:38 AM, xriko said:

The verses of that song are almost identical to Bois de Merveilles. The whole thing reeks of Malice Mizer. Not bad, but not exactly original.

Well, must admit, that their indies era was much more powerful, dark, it was sth new on a VK scene. The major era is a total reshape and a try of conversion. Seriously, two vocalists right now? Isn't it w much a kittle