itsukoii

Deviloof

Thinking about going to see them live in Cologne. Does anyone here have any experience with how they are live? I rally like their sound and there are not many VK concerts around anymore.

I saw them at their first oneman (mind you, this is back when Ryuya, Seiya, and Hiroto were all still in the band) and they sounded fantastic live. Keisuke was a bit stiff and I think they tried to sound perfect rather than give a good live show. But again, this was four years ago and they've added new members and had time to work on their stage presence. In the live videos they post to twitter, their lives look super fun and they'll probably be begging the audience to mosh as much as possible. The members themselves like the non-VK crowds a lot, so I can guarantee it'll be a blast if you like to move.

2 hours ago, AwesomeNyappy said:

That sounds amazing! I go into mosh pits occasionally, so I hope there will be one at their concert :)

I would be very surprised if there wasn't one and/or if Keisuke doesn't call upon the crowd to do a wall of death. You should definitely go and have fun, even if it is just to support the band's overseas adventures. I hope this tour is very successful and gives them the confidence to tour elsewhere.

1 hour ago, secret_no_03 said:

Have Aisaku and Kanta only been involved in the production of Oni or were they around for Kaika and Devil's Proof?

Yeah, only involved in the production of Oni (oficially, they joined the band last year). Seiya and Hiroto left shortly after Kaika was released.

1 hour ago, 123Sandman321 said:

Yeah, only involved in the production of Oni (oficially, they joined the band last year). Seiya and Hiroto left shortly after Kaika was released.

And I would say they had little input, if any at all, on the song-writing. Most of the album had been released before on Kaika and an omnibus, as well as been played live for a while before Kaika or Oni, and even the new songs are credited to Keisuke for writing the music and lyrics. The rest are all Keisuke and Seiya, even though he wasn't in the band at the time of Oni's release. If we're going by credits alone, the only other person credited Oni is actually Ryo (from Gilgamesh) who composed all the instrumental tracks.

1 minute ago, 123Sandman321 said:

Shame that he didn't bring such an amount of energy to the album.

I don't think he had any input into the album, given most, if not all of the music was written before he joined. The dude's been doing covers and drum play-through videos on his twitter for ages and he slays them skins.

1 hour ago, 123Sandman321 said:

Shame that he didn't bring such an amount of energy to the album.

Well...the drums on Oni are programmed also

Wasn't throwing shade at the guy, just a shame that this kind of talent didn't show up on the album.

35 minutes ago, benzaiten._ said:

Well...the drums on Oni are programmed also

Btw, a drummer could still program his own stuff, but that's beside the point.

57 minutes ago, 123Sandman321 said:

Wasn't throwing shade at the guy, just a shame that this kind of talent didn't show up on the album.

Btw, a drummer could still program his own stuff, but that's beside the point.

oh yes surely! i was trying to say that he can't bring that amount of energy if the drums are programmed because real drums have so much more dynamics in sound and organic feeling

I don't know who programmed the drums on Oni but damn they are a mess. I feel like there was no attempt at making them sound remotely real, nearly killed the vibe of the album for me.

When you have such an amazing drummer like that, the minimum is to make him record his drums parts on a good e-drums. Even if they go to a recording studio, i'm sure in 4 hours rent he would finish an album.

But this kind of drums sound  they did became the new standard. It's boring because all the metalhead seems crazy for this overcompressed and inhuman kind of drums sound

Edited by Kirito

On 5/28/2020 at 11:03 PM, Kirito said:

When you have such an amazing drummer like that, the minimum is to make him record his drums parts on a good e-drums. Even if they go to a recording studio, i'm sure in 4 hours rent he would finish an album.

But this kind of drums sound  they did became the new standard. It's boring because all the metalhead seems crazy for this overcompressed and inhuman kind of drums sound

Yeah, it kills me a bit sometimes when I listen to something new and am like "is a shame about the drum machine sounding so clinical though" then check and the band does infact have a real drummer. Like why bother with a drummer if you're going to use a machine or produce it to such a point that it does anyway? But yeah a lot of bands seem to be taking the drum machine route these days, think it's just to save recording time/dollar basically.

On 7/20/2020 at 4:23 PM, Kabukichoatmidnight said:

Yeah, it kills me a bit sometimes when I listen to something new and am like "is a shame about the drum machine sounding so clinical though" then check and the band does infact have a real drummer. Like why bother with a drummer if you're going to use a machine or produce it to such a point that it does anyway? But yeah a lot of bands seem to be taking the drum machine route these days, think it's just to save recording time/dollar basically.

To be honest it's totally possible to sound correct with a drum machine (VST). Just you need to know how to program it, to make it sounds realistic. It's a bit time consuming, but definitely possible.