itsukoii

Deviloof

I’m having such a struggle getting into this band. I’ve always enjoyed the heavier side of VK but something about this band.. I don’t know what it is but I just can’t. 

Anyone recommend a song or two?

:tw_joy::tw_joy::tw_joy::tw_joy::tw_joy::tw_joy::tw_joy::tw_joy: he is growling like Crimson shiva / Shiva and that intrumental. Not even going to check out the album. #VKdeathcoreFraudulism . Brutal my ass

Edited by blackdoll

after a few listens i can say that this album is horrible. its not as bad as the garbage that was their first album but seriously its just super boring.

kaika and kodokushi are good but the single versions are better.

Been listening to Oni for a few days now and my opinion is that it's decent.  If you like most of what Deviloof has done than you probably won't be disappointed with this album, but it's probably not going to be your new favorite either. 

Imo there's no reason to listen to the new versions of Kaika and Kodokushi or the SE's.  Kaika sounds mostly the same, the clean vocals in the chorus of Kodokushi sound worse, and the SE's are just standard vkei SE's.

With that said, Aishite Kudasai sounds better and the new songs are fine despite a few hiccups. To elaborate; I think the clean singing in Dusky Vision just seems awkwardly placed, but I've gotten used to it after some listens.  Keisuke's vocals in the middle of Ruten are a bit strange, but it's not enough for me to dislike the song.  The speaking style vocals in Creepy make me cringe lol but I can get through it. 

Murderous Impulse and Kumo no Ito are the highlights on this album.  The placement of the clean vocals in Kumo no Ito are perfect,  Murderous Impulse sounds like a standard deathcore/metalcore song, but it also just sounds really good. 

Summing up my thoughts, this album feels a bit different from what they've done before but it's not a departure.  If you liked the way Devil's Proof sounded than you will probably like the way this sounds too, although it's definitely not a repeat of Devil's Proof.  I don't think they've gotten worse, but they haven't really gotten better, and all in all that's just fine with me. 

i think DEVILOOF is NOT a band for most of the VK-Fans,due to the fact that their roots still in the slam/deathcore,and also because of Keisuke's "weirdness".As a deathcore screamer he is one of my favorite in the scene.He's highly competent,has an insane range and many memorable vocal patterns,simply outstanding. however,his slurred and weird clean singing combined with the usual "visual-kei" diversity and Ray's vocals will probably make some people confused or even turn their back on it,and also deathcore is not a very "malleable" sub-genre of metal, so not everyone is capable to digest it if it's not traditional/straightfoward deathcore like the western bands do.

The album " Oni " sounds pretty much like a continuation of Devil's proof in terms of production and musical quality,with some new ideas here and there (dusky-vision and Ruten for example).honestly,i expected more,but i'm satisfied with the result,they still a young band after all...

unfortunately in this forum it became funny to some people to just hate on this band on every fucking release without any decent argument,

are these guys edgy teenagers or what? 

Edited by Euronymous

I listened to the album multiple times, and while the main singles are enjoyable on their own, the rest of the album drags them down to the deepest depths of hell. God, is it such a boring slog to get through, especially the 2nd half. This is easily their worst record to date.

Losing Seiya and Hiroto really didn't leave good results. All the verses sound the exact same in each of the new songs, stale riffs and "tired" drumming. Sure it's fast and heavy, but without a hint of creativity, plus the only difference between each breakdown is the BPM. The new guys had a wonderful chance to show off and do something new and fresh, but no, let's recycle the old shit, but with musicians who can't keep up and lack the same compositional prowess.

Vocal-wise, Keisuke is objectively a beast (important to note that I mean harsh vocals only), but this time, he rarely uses anything but his highs and as time goes on, again, boredom hits. And oh boy, who the fuck greenlit Ruten, which sane person would listen to that shit and put it on the album, as the closing song, to boot. I understand trying something new and interesting (a bit too interesting for the wrong reasons), and sure, I respect it, but damn, is it just awful. I kinda enjoyed his shots at "clean" singing on ESCAPE and prior, but from now on, he should just stop, effective immediately. (and that supposed duet on Dusky-vision, seeing him sing ain't the same as hearing him, and hear him I cannot, it's just Ray.) Ray, who's probably the only saving grace of the album, well, at least in terms of his vocal parts. 

It's obvious they put some bank into this, the PVs, the production, and even the cover, but if they release another LP like this one, it's the end of the line. I sincerely hope their EU tour goes well for them, I'll be attending for sure, since I still consider them among my favorites, but because of that, the album is all the more disappointing.

Kaika, Kodokushi and Aishitekudasai are the highlights, but it's sad when your old material still holds up, compared to the supposed fresh stuff.

@123Sandman321 

You just said everything. 

Since they released M.F.JAP ,I had the feeling that I shouldn't take this band so seriously...

Looking at the result of the album,I feel like they should have released an EP with the first track gouzinzangoku , murderous impulse,creepy and the other 3 re recorded tracks,we'd be just fine,I guess.

The SE's were just fillers,Ruten sounded ok until that awful enka vocals...why didn't the producer just say "hey,stop that, let's just put some enka samples here and that's it". 

Kumo no Ito should have at least 5 minutes, that track seems "unfinished" ,bcuz we have that big chorus,which is nice,but the track itself feels rushed,so the only thing you remember is Ray's voice,so it gets boring quickly. Dusky Vision just looks like a track/mv to promote the band and introduce them to different fans. 

They'll probably release something in the very end of the year, so we hope the train don't get off the track again.

Edited by Manji 卍

I'm shocked how how little there is on this album that was actually new to listen to..

out of 11 tracks we got 2 singles ok cool but they have been out a few months now

2 "interludes"  wtf are theses? they don't even fit the songs they are stuck between give me the instrumental from devils proof anyday

and we get 2 songs which were released last year on a single ..which a actually love but the new versions sound off somehow.

so yeah you're left with 5 new songs to listen to none of which are better than the 2 old singles or songs like ishtar or return of the curse.

This band was 100% saiya's writing talent and it shows. Its a shame as Keisuke does have some awesome growls :(

On 7/4/2019 at 10:24 AM, 123Sandman321 said:

All the verses sound the exact same in each of the new songs, stale riffs and "tired" drumming. Sure it's fast and heavy, but without a hint of creativity, plus the only difference between each breakdown is the BPM. The new guys had a wonderful chance to show off and do something new and fresh, but no, let's recycle the old shit, but with musicians who can't keep up and lack the same compositional prowess.

Pretty much this. I went through the album at least three times and I got so bored.

23 hours ago, Desi said:

I'm shocked how how little there is on this album that was actually new to listen to..

out of 11 tracks we got 2 singles ok cool but they have been out a few months now

2 "interludes"  wtf are theses? they don't even fit the songs they are stuck between give me the instrumental from devils proof anyday

and we get 2 songs which were released last year on a single ..which a actually love but the new versions sound off somehow.

so yeah you're left with 5 new songs to listen to none of which are better than the 2 old singles or songs like ishtar or return of the curse.

This band was 100% saiya's writing talent and it shows. Its a shame as Keisuke does have some awesome growls :(

Aishite Kudasai was on a compilation, too. So it's even less new songs. Albeit this is a new version.

Edited by patientZERO

9 hours ago, patientZERO said:

Aishite Kudasai was on a compilation, too. So it's even less new songs. Albeit this is a new version.

Holy shit you are right, I'd personally not heard it but went searching and its a song from 2016! they must of been really digging to find material.

I've never really "felt" Deviloof music before but decided to give the new album a listen and I must say it's not as bad as I was expecting! I must agree that some of the clean vocals aren't implemented as well as they could (last song, I'm looking at you) and overall most songs tend to sound samey so not many songs stand out in this context.

Sorry if I'm being the contrarian but I'm not exactly a fan of Keisuke's vocals. Maybe it's the production that rendered them this way, but they sound fairly weak - I mean, he can produce sounds in a rather wide range of pitches (which is really cool and definitely my thing) but he's really lacking that "oomph" on his screams (and considering that the majority of the vocals on the album are harsh, that leads to some "overexposure").

I mean, i'm still not exactly a fan but they at least proved to not be just the "gimmick deathcorey band that the vk folk that don't listen to deathcore drool over" lol Despite some ideas feeling like they were just "thrown" on the songs without further elaborating, they're good at what they do and have a lot of room to improve.

Loving their new album so far. His screaming and clean singing have significantly improved. Im getting some serious infant annihilator vibes from there new album which is one my fav band. 

They have 13643 Spotify monthly listens which i guess is a great number for these newer vk bands. I mean fucking dir en grey only have 35k monthly listens...

I think these guys are going to get big.

Edited by FOSCOR70

On 7/16/2019 at 9:41 AM, kuyashii said:

Sorry if I'm being the contrarian but I'm not exactly a fan of Keisuke's vocals. Maybe it's the production that rendered them this way, but they sound fairly weak - I mean, he can produce sounds in a rather wide range of pitches (which is really cool and definitely my thing) but he's really lacking that "oomph" on his screams (and considering that the majority of the vocals on the album are harsh, that leads to some "overexposure").

Listening back to a few things, I think it's definitely the production. His harsh vocals sound much better on the Devil's Proof album. Did they work with someone else for the production?

Still don't know wtf is going on with the clean vocals in "Ruten". I mean, I know what they are supposed to be, just the execution is so narmy I can't even

nice to see some coherent opinions on here instead of just complaining.you guys kind of changed my thoughts on the Oni album.

i'm sure i'm the only one here,but this is how i'd like Deviloof to sound like.this early Carnifex influence is so fucking awesome

Not going to lie, despite all the negative feedback from other people here I actually really like this album. But then again, I've been into "extreme metal" long before VK so maybe that's why. But there are a lot of nice riffs, some catchy rhythm changes and each song generally has some good twists going on in it that makes it standout a bit from the others.  So yeah, generally I like it, have played it a fair few times since receiving it. So what I'm saying is, if you're in two minds about whether to get the album or not then get it and make your own mind up. ; )

I think I would have enjoyed the album more if I didn't hear the entire first fucking half of the album months before release, the weird ass interludes don't help either. The entire album doesn't seem fresh and feels a bit recycled like they were trying to look desperately for material, in that case, I wish they would remake Nightmare, they remade Ruin and Aishite Kudasai so why not Nightmare? I also wish to GOD that they used a real drum kit when recording the album, it sounds like ass. The instrumentals in general are so bland and uninspired that its the main downfall of the album. One redeeming quality about that album is that I can finally hear the bass now lmfao

The album is definitely a bummer but not dreadful, its for sure their worst release so far though.

On 8/29/2019 at 11:41 PM, Joel said:

I think I would have enjoyed the album more if I didn't hear the entire first fucking half of the album months before release, the weird ass interludes don't help either. The entire album doesn't seem fresh and feels a bit recycled like they were trying to look desperately for material, in that case, I wish they would remake Nightmare, they remade Ruin and Aishite Kudasai so why not Nightmare? I also wish to GOD that they used a real drum kit when recording the album, it sounds like ass. The instrumentals in general are so bland and uninspired that its the main downfall of the album. One redeeming quality about that album is that I can finally hear the bass now lmfao

The album is definitely a bummer but not dreadful, its for sure their worst release so far though.

Yeah those interludes probably could've been dropped without any interference to the flow of the album. I skip them every time. haha