CAT5

Recommended Tracks: December 2016

Recommended Tracks: December 2016  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What were your favorite Recommended Tracks this month?

• "shikou" by 88kasyo Junrei
    • "Sayounara Anata" by Kaneko Ayano
    • "Youth" by Young Juvenile Youth
    • "The Lights" by FABLED NUMBER
    • "maisou" by RAZOR
    • "drifting litter" by DECAYS
    • "ningyo no ori" by Onmyo-za
    • "rondo" by -AI-
    • "-SHAMBARA-" by R-Shitei
    • "The Buddha" by LM.C
    • "Ai to ai so nokosazu (Baby who wanders ver.)" by DECAYS

.tumblr_oj2r1rdZsq1rfey86o1_1280.png

Happy New Years, everyone! December was a super busy month for the ORZ crew, so we have a bite-sized selection of new tracks to recommend you guys this month, but rest assured, they're delectable as always!

Thanks to our guest contributors @Lestat and @Ada Suilen! As usual, we apologize if some videos aren't available due to region restrictions.

@CAT5's Picks

"紫光 (shikou)" by 八十八ヶ所巡礼 (88kasyo Junrei)

aevLIJp.png

88kasyo Junrei have released an album every year, without fail, from 2009 all the way up through 2015, usually within the month of August. Having taken their prolificness for granted, most of us had assumed that a 2016 release would be given. Sadly, that wasn't the case, but Margaret and the crew must have sensed our yearnings, as they dropped this PV out of the blue shortly into December. And while no new album has been announced yet, what they've served us here is certainly appeasing! "shikou" is somewhat different for 88kasyo. These guys don't usually make a habit of restraining themselves - often taking every opportunity to noodle our faces off and pummel us with their cacophonous insanity - so it was a bit of a shock to hear how subdued this track was at first. But it came as an even bigger surprise that this track still manages to fucking rock! It's a slower tune for them, sure, but the band's musical acumen hasn't been diminished one bit because of it. Margaret employs a squeaky, rap-like flow while providing one of the band's most memorable basslines, Kenzoooooo's drumming is as coercive as ever, and Katzuya sprinkles just enough of his psychedelic guitar work in the mix to be potent. What I thought at first was 'restraint', was actually just the band exercising their instincts with a newfound control. "shikou" isn't just the 88kasyo taking it easy, it shows a mature step forward in the band's songwriting. I can't wait for what's next!

Spoiler

"さよーならあなた (Sayounara Anata)" by カネコアヤノ (Kaneko Ayano)
B1timWI.png

The Japanese Folk/Singer-Songwriter realm has been pretty uneventful for me this year. My personally appointed 'Celestial Goddess' of modern J-folk Ichiko Aoba proved to be mundane after all, with her humdrum follow-up to 2013's masterpiece 0. And the much less renown, but equally dear to me, mmm/me-my-mo made a brief appearance early in the year with her band Maria Hato, releasing a single titled "C.P.U" (that I wrote about in February's edition of RT), which was brilliant, but only managed to whet my appetite. Enter Kaneko Ayano. While not as quirky as mmm, and certainly nowhere near Aoba's ethereal genius, Kaneko's straightforward and simple sound has been a refreshing serving of the folky tunes I've been craving from 2016. She's released two EPs this year - hug back in April, and Sayounara Anata just recently. The title track diverges from her usual, barebones acoustic approach and includes a full band backing that really vitalizes her already emotive sound. It almost sounds like risette and ミラーボールズ (mirrorballs) were smoothly merged together - the end result is the perfect blend of carefree indie-pop and adorably earnest folk-rock.

Spoiler

"Youth" by Young Juvenile Youth

deCGVIQ.png

Young Juvenile Youth, YJY for short, consists of vocalist Yuki and producer/beatmaker Jemapur. Having formed in 2012 and only having released their debut EP in 2015, they're relatively new to the scene,  but have already carved out a bit of a niche for themselves. Their latest single "YOUTH" is a beacon of this musical alcove that they've built: sleek, minimal electronic music that you'd sooner hear out of London than Tokyo. Not exactly trip-hop, but certainly not electro-pop either, "Youth" sports a sound that would be difficult to find contemporaries for in Japan. The synths are meticulously layered and arranged, and the beat is just chill enough to garner a contemplative head-nod. There's also a certain accessibility to Yuki's vocals, but the songwriting feels really subtle in its pop aspects. "Youth" shows a lot of promise, and while YJY may not be topping the Oricon charts anytime soon, they do have the potential to expand on an international scale, while also being a singular force within Japan.

Spoiler

@beni's Pick

"The Lights" by FABLED NUMBER

pLlrq2l.png

Another month, another random gem found. This time it's FABLED NUMBER. The little known rock band reminds me of SILHOUETTE FROM THE SKYLIGHT, but with a pop/electronic edge. This makes for a very accessible sound, and the song's energy does not let up at any point. You'll want to continuously repeat the track in no time! They instantly caught my attention with this tune, and hopefully that's the same case for others. It's a real shame that these guys are so unknown compared to other, similar bands, as they show great potential in this latest single of theirs. Here's to hoping you also check out their debut album coming out in early February entitled ILLUMINATE!

Spoiler

@togz's Pick

"埋葬 (maisou)" by RAZOR 

5ufXKLJ.png

I was a little worried as to where RAZOR's line-up would take them.  After their mini-album RED INVISIBLE dropped, all my worries went away. The release is a solid listen as a whole, which you can learn more about in @Zeus' review of it here. The track that really made me move was "埋葬 (maisou)".  It's upbeat from the start, but fairly heavy for a visual kei composition. Ryoga's fast paced speaking along with the guitars builds into a really fun environment when the instrumentals and vocals come together. The phrasing is predictable, but that makes it easier to anticipate where the song is going and, in my opinion, makes for a damn good live song. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing a band and hearing them for the first time while not having to worry about whether you can follow the crowd or not. It's a song you can simply feel and really rock out to. 

Spoiler

@Zeus' Pick

"drifting litter" by DECAYS

4XMSM2R.png

It's no secret DECAYS has redeemed themselves with their transformation, and I've extolled the virtues of Baby who wanders enough in my review. What I didn't mention in the review was my favorite track on the album, and that would be "drifting litter". This hypnotic, hazy ballad is at odds with the overall direction of the album, adopting a thick, dark tone. The melody is anchored in place by the thick bass and guitar and Nakamura commands the chorus completely. The pure rock guitar solo in the middle skyrockets the song to eleven. If Baby who wanders wasn't dark or heavy enough for you, then this is what you are looking for.

Spoiler

@Original Saku's Pick

"人魚の檻 (ningyo no ori)"  by 陰陽座 (Onmyo-za)

sG3jzEY.png

Onmyo-za is a band that comes and goes for me. In that, I mean that they're a group who I enjoy a great deal when they release something, but I don't keep up with specifically, so more often than not it's like a nice little present that soon fades till the next one. "人魚の檻" from the band's newest effort Karyoubinga is just one of those aforementioned 'presents'. While being a whopping seven minutes six seconds long, it comes in as the longest song on the album and does not suffer for it. The track begins calm and serene then Kuroneko chimes in with her beautiful soft vocal technique that can only be described as 'heavenly'. It soon flows into the backing guitar riffs that thunder and transform the song into something more chaotic but, still beautiful. Shortly after the guitars kick in, Matatabi gets his turn with his trademark deep, powerful vocals that eventually lead into dual vocal excellence between the two. The track progresses into the instrumental bit where Maneki and Karukan show off their prowess and melt my face off in the process. The last minute and a half takes on a very 'haunting' aesthetic that slows down the tempo and closes out wonderfully.

Spoiler

Guest Recommendations:

@Lestat's Picks

"輪舞曲 (rondo)" by 藍-AI-

cRAxx1t.png

I wonder if I have traversed in to the mysterious universe of Konami's Castlevania, as "輪舞曲" promptly astonishes me with an enigmatic alliance of both a devout organ and a set of dungeon-crawling synthesizers. Whoever praises the unnatural and the unknown realms will likely appreciate this on short notice, as it is fully enclosed by the strange and the dark. While an engaging bass performs its own black magic and whirs away, the track sneaks along this very murky line, slowly approaching an evanescent moment of clarity; fog clears, and for a brief moment you open a dark cellar's trapdoors toward a more flitting, yet vigilant chorus, one where the opaque and ambiguous vocals of ex-DEATHGAZE's 藍-AI- take on a transparency in the wee hour's quickly fading light. 

Spoiler

"-SHAMBARA-" by R指定 (R-Shitei)

oEO8WOw.png

All the while, R指定 have proven themselves multifaceted goliaths, able to mutate or evolve at will. The immensely popular band does not discriminate between dawn and dusk, and waltzes among both pop rock and heavy metal in swiftly taken steps. Give this ingenuous and tireless group a sound, concept or genre, and they will shape and form it into their very own inherent creation. One of those consistent transformations takes place in "-SHAMBARA-", wherein マモ (Mamo) and his gang do not shy away from channeling the obscure Dir en grey through otherworldly sonant assemblies and distressing squalls from the deep. This is where R指定 release their inner demons and convey their ghastly messages through tuned down equipment, a swarm of screams and breakdowns, and a lone guitar's eerie-sounding strum.

Spoiler

@Ada Suilen's Picks

"The Buddha" by LM.C

1EzQo8h.png

The most freaking and colorful J-rock duo of the moment achieves the important score of ten years in the music industry, and for this occasion, they decided to make this year pretty interesting; starting from the colorful rocking "MONROEwalk" and then the nostalgic and soft dyed "Rainmaker". They released their fifth album Veda this month, where they maintained and improved their eccentric and beating sound in all the shades they know best. In this track, the duo brought something mature and innovative to their sound, along with an electro-exotic vibe which never hurts, for this is one of their best tracks for sure.

Spoiler

"Ai to ai so nokosazu (Baby who wanders ver.)" by DECAYS

HthSuKt.png

When this band debuted with the song "Secret Mode", they didn't convince me at all, despite of the presence of Dir En Grey's Die and the famous singer Yusuke Kobayashi, two sure winners of the genre. With the mini-album Red or Maryam, my interest for them grew more, even if I felt that something lacked. And how, with the addition of the violinist Ayasa and the pop singer Ataru Nakamura (a pleasant discovery for me), the band found out what was lacking and this new take of the song shows it, with its energy, grace and sensuality, all filtered inside a wonderful rock theme. It's a track everyone should listen to and that is quite hard to forget. 

Spoiler

Thanks for checking out our recommendations this month! If you have any thoughts on our list or recommendations of your own, please feel free to comment below! If you're interested in being a guest contributor, contact either @CAT5 or @doombox

See you all next month! ^_~

Some nice tracks on this list. I'll particularly second the 八十八ヶ所巡礼 track along with the two DECAYS ones. I'll add a couple of recommendations of my own too (maybe I should stop being a lazy shit and actually write a guest contribution sometime...)

dilitant by siraph

I'm sure that absolutely noone who knows my music taste will be surprised about this choice. siraph's latest single is basically confirmation that this band is the real deal and that their mini album from earlier in the year wasn't just some cool one-off before fading into obscurity. Yoshimasa Terui's sole composition on the single is a testament to how well he's been able to adapt his natural writing style to fit into siraph's school food punishment-esque soundscape. Given their output this year, I really can't wait to hear more from these guys in 2017.

太陽と暮らしてきた by JYOCHO

And while we're on the topic of new 2016 bands that are effectively spiritual successors of dearly missed dis-bands, 宇宙コンビニ's spiritual successor JYOCHO, lead by guitar prodigy Daijiro Nakagawa, dropped their brilliant debut mini album earlier this month and it's a real treat to listen to. 太陽と暮らしてきた serves as the mini's lead promotional track and it's not hard to understand why. All of 宇宙コンビニ's hallmarks are there, except now Daijiro is playing with people that are able to keep up with his technical wizardry and there's even a flute added in there for a nice bit of aural variety.

Edited by Pho

I've now listened to both this and the track that was linked on the DECAYS review and I've liked them both despite my best efforts to not to. The impression left by SECRET MODE ( just the song, I listened 2 nuffin els' ) was of this slick pop rock both so inoffensive and meandering that one could hardly attribute a trait to its featureless mass, like musical teflon that'd eventually kill you by lethal poisoning should you indulge in it too much. 

Now first I've had that JUMPIN JACK FOEVAA chorus playing in my head ever since I heard it. You can tell that it's from the same band, but something has happened. It reminded me a lot of visual kei actually, and Drifting Litter has just fortified that impression. I'm getting strange Buck-tick vibes from it, though it could just be from the visuals — which I love, unlike the cool filters dime-a-dozen indie twat written all over the SECRET MODE PV.  Very surprised by this turn of events and I'll get the album forthwith. 

Glad to have joined this thread even in this month!

I see that the love for Decays is not only mine, and that's awesome, hoping to listen to more of them in the new year.

@Original SakuI have had chills when I listened to that song by Onmyo-za, the harmony between the singers is exceptional, for not talking about the rest!

Nice to see even Razor, R-Shitei (which are surprising me more!) and Ai!