emmny

DIR EN GREY x PIERROT Collab "Androgynos"; PIERROT fanclub "Arlequin" reopened for 2017

okay BUT if diru were to go on hiatus or smthing and tickle their fans pussies once every few years or smthin im pree sure they'd sell out fuckin messe or smthing

thanks for the tea tho, go and let us know what fuckery these old men are up to!

On 26/04/2017 at 8:54 AM, jaymee said:

OP has it totally backwards. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the PIERROT ojis are only getting back together for the coin since none of their solo projects have ever been huge, but it is definitely Dir's ojis that will be making coin off of PIERROT's appearance.  Last time PIERROT did a reunion live they filled most of Saitama Super Arena (15,000-20,000 people). By comparison, Dir tops out every year at Studio Coast (abt 2,500 people). 

I personally wouldn't be going if it wasn't a PIERROT collab. (And I normally would go with my husband, but he was like fvck that cuz he doesn't want to sit thru Dir.) I wish it was just PIERROT but hey I'm happy at any chance to see them perform again. At the reunion live Kirito made it pretty clear during his MCs that they weren't sure if they'd ever do another performance together in the future.

Whelp, at least after this I'll be able to say I've seen Dir en grey live. Hope they do some old stuff tho since I can't stand much of their discography beyond Vulgar. A little while ago they had the music advert trucks going around Tokyo but I wasn't in the area so no clue what the collab sounds like yet.

Since you seem to be one of those tonberry-era folks around herre, lemme ask you something:

Did Pierrot gain much bigger following even during their final days and after that than Dir? AFAIK Pierrot's fame boost (over Dir that is) was just temporary and if we inspect the overall picture, Dir seemed to do much better promotion-wise, or is there something I missed out on?

On 4/26/2017 at 2:04 AM, jaymee said:

Also, if there is a DVD is might be fan club only. I think that's how PIERROT's reunion live was, but I can't remember if there was a non-fan club version or not...

BTW, is anyone else on here going to either/both shows?

There was a non-FC version, but it didn't have the bonus offshot disc. I also believe each night's DVD had to be bought individually...

Anyway, I'm going to both shows because I live and die for PIERROT and Dir was the first vk band I really got into years and years ago, so this event is like a dream for me! And I never imagined I'd have another opportunity to see PIERROT again after DCF.

13 hours ago, Carmelzors said:

Since you seem to be one of those tonberry-era folks around herre, lemme ask you something:

Did Pierrot gain much bigger following even during their final days and after that than Dir? AFAIK Pierrot's fame boost (over Dir that is) was just temporary and if we inspect the overall picture, Dir seemed to do much better promotion-wise, or is there something I missed out on?

I don't know how it was in the 90s, and PIERROT was never my "main" band during my bangya days, but I know that over time Dir has lost a lot of its original fan base according to some of my best (Japanese) friends that used to be Dir bangya.

I think it's a combination of the musical/visual change and their original fans getting older and moving on. Like over time many of the original fans have stopped going, and there hasn't been enough new fans (v-kei bangya or otherwise) coming in to take their place.

Generally I think much like Janne Da Arc, PIERROT was better at bridging the visual and non-visual fandom during their heyday/before mainstream visual kei completely "died". I originally got into PIERROT via v-kei, but my husband originally started listening to them because of an old middle school classmate and hasn't ever been a fan of any other v-kei bands. PIERROT seems to have a lot of fans like that.

At the PIERROT reunion live they even had a "daycare" to babysit kids while their parents attended the show(s).

Dir en grey is definitely more well-known internationally, though. I don't know about in Japan with people outside the scene, however.

I agree there was probably some novelty in their reunion so they could still fill such a large venue, but I think even if PIERROT were to do a proper activity restart now, they would still play bigger venues than Dir does currently, like Luna Sea and GLAY do. (Maybe not as big as that.)

Just my two yen, though. I'm not personally involved in either scene. (Like I don't go see any of the PIERROT members side projects and my Dir bangya friends have moved on/I was never into them after Vulgar.)

Edited by jaymee

6 hours ago, redaudrey said:

There was a non-FC version, but it didn't have the bonus offshot disc. I also believe each night's DVD had to be bought individually...

Anyway, I'm going to both shows because I live and die for PIERROT and Dir was the first vk band I really got into years and years ago, so this event is like a dream for me! And I never imagined I'd have another opportunity to see PIERROT again after DCF.

Thankfully your memory is much better than mine! I had only reserved/bought the FC version so I wasn't sure.

Glad people seem to be coming out for this :D 

15 hours ago, emmny said:

okay BUT if diru were to go on hiatus or smthing and tickle their fans pussies once every few years or smthin im pree sure they'd sell out fuckin messe or smthing

thanks for the tea tho, go and let us know what fuckery these old men are up to!

At this point in Dir's career I doubt it, unless maybe they were to do a Missa, Gauze, Macabre, etc. only set. They always seem to sell those special fan club dates out. To play that at a bigger arena you'd need a damn lot of nostalgic bangya lol.

Even at their top game Dir was never able to bridge the visual/non visual fanbases like X Japan, Luna Sea, L'Arc, GLAY, and to a certain extent Janne and PIERROT did.

Part of this is because they were a little late to the v-kei party, too. They took the last surge of the movement by storm before it died out. While other established bands had both kinds of fans at this point, Dir en grey was just getting comfortable in the v-kei genre.

On 4/27/2017 at 9:28 PM, jaymee said:

Cool! Are you just visiting or do you live here in Japan?

If you'll be in the general Tokyo area long enough, SADS is supposedly doing a show on 7/21 at Liquidroom. On 7/1 D'ERLANGER is doing a show at O-EAST and then GARGOYLE will do a show at the same venue on 7/15. Kaya, Inugami Circus Dan, and few other bands are doing a show for Kaya's birthday on 7/17 at O-WEST. Kiryu is doing a show at Utsunomiya Heaven's Rock on 7/9. BREAKERZ (not really visual, but Daigo used to perform as Daigo Stardust) is doing two shows on 7/15 and 7/16 at Toyosu Pit. Miyavi is doing a show at Studio Coast on 6/29.  Visunavi has a good calendar of events going by day: http://www.visunavi.com/live/2017/07/ I'm sure the smaller live houses like AREA, Cyber, etc. will update in a couple of months.

Unfortunately I'm an obangya so I don't know much about current bands/scene. D:

If you're into Western music, BANKS is playing 7/6 at Liquidroom. I plan on going to that and kinda making a staycation weekend. :D Since I'm going to Fuji Rock later that month I wasn't willing to fork out more than what Arena Standing cost, lol. Lemme know if you or anyone else would be interested in doing some kind of meet-up.

Ha, I did the same homework as you (checking visunavi, ticketcamp & eplus) but there really is nothing during the period for me. I'm there for holiday but SADS's tour date is too far away for me (got to stay 3 weeks to catch it). I already saw them in 2014 so its fine XD 女王蜂's tour final is on 1st July at Zepp Divercity, and SIM's deadpop festival is on 1st & 2nd July:

http://www.deadpopfest.com/bands.html

which includes Maximum the hormone, coldrain and crossfaith.

I'm holding my hopes up for the next few weeks (haven't bought the air tickets yet) though I have gotten my arena area concert tics via 1st round DEG FC balloting. I'll be going from Singapore with a friend though. Might eventually just settle for the 2 day DEG/Pierrot concert then fly back cos I have plans to catch cali gari's 15th anniversary & Buck-tick's 30th anniversary concerts in Sep as well. 

Adding to the discussion on DEG & PIERROT's popularity,  @jaymeesaid it best on Pierrot flawlessly bridging between mainstream & VK, with their image & songs not too 'aggressive' & 'weird' as compared to DEG. 'cocoon' was a very big seller on oricon then and the getbackers anime tie-up propelled them into mainstream consciousness. They played saitama super arena (capacity of 20000+) regularly before they disbanded while DEG's biggest venue thus far is nippon budokan (capacity of 13000+?), though it might be a deliberate decision. 

On 28/04/2017 at 4:41 AM, jaymee said:

Generally I think much like Janne Da Arc, PIERROT was better at bridging the visual and non-visual fandom during their heyday/before mainstream visual kei completely "died". 

Yeah, I think there's also something to be said about frontman magnetism, something both Yasu and Kirito have (Yasu even more, I think). They are both well known personalities that stand out among mainstream, I've heard stories of their success with older woman an such. Maybe because Dir en Grey took the opposite path, going more metal over the years, there was never a chance for them to stabilish themselves with the regular listener (I don't even think they'd want that, tho.)

Would really like to see PIERROT releasing something with this reunion, neither Angelo or LM.C recent stuff appeals to me.

38 minutes ago, emmny said:

yasu is fugly and untalented the japanese people are dead wrong on that ! kirito snatches wigs and is the superior unaging grandpa queen

your presence is no longer needed here, please leave

Is Pierrot just doing live comebacks or was this accompanied with some news about um, reunion releases like an album for instance?

Edited by Alroy

Y'all I was 3-4th row center for yesterday's show I don't even know what I did to be blessed by the VK gods like that.

Too much to quote on my phone but!

- Pierrot just got back together for the live like last time. Unlike Dir, they weren't recruiting for their fan club and all the freebies they gave out were for their solo bands. I agree with you @chemicalpicturesabout Angelo/LM.C D:

- No CD probably, but there will be DVDs/Blu-ray of both days and each day.

- @emmny I mean you're free to flaunt how wrong you are but... As much as I love Kirito, Yasu has def aged better and the proof is in the HD filming. Sorry gurl.

I'll post a few pics later but my general thoughts were:

- Dir should have played more older stuff. Most of the Dir fans were familiar with Pierrot's set (they didn't play anything off ID Attack besides their Psychadelic Lover single) while most Pierrot fans knew nothing past Macabre/Kisou/Vulgar and were just patiently waiting for Dir to be over while trying not to get knocked in the head by their more aggressive fans.

I know Dir hates their VK past and Kyo gonna do what he wants so whatev but it would have made for a much less disjointed show imho.

- Everyone looked so good both days. Personal fave was Kirito's second day outfit and Die's long hair D: Even Toshiya managed to look slightly less homeless. Like he found some rich dude's clothes his wife threw out in the dumpster after discovering he was cheating on her.

- Androgynos seemed to just be a visual theme, as Dir didn't do any old visual stuff besides Akuro no Oka and Zan, and none of the bands did any session music together at the end.

- Before the live they really harped on the Megiddo vs. Acro hill war and even renamed the stadium areas into diff zones making it hard to figure out how good your tix were until the day of lol but then at the live both Kirito and Kyo were just like wtf is this hill war anyway? I dunno guys just become one and shit lol It was cute tho

- The band themed food was a nice touch, and the goods were nice as well. Also the goods line was waaaay more efficient than Pierrot's reunion three years ago at SSA. Thankful for that cuz GD it was so hot and humid outside.

Edited by jaymee

7 hours ago, saishuu said:

your presence is no longer needed here, please leave

1 hour ago, jaymee said:

@emmny I mean you're free to flaunt how wrong you are but... As much as I love Kirito, Yasu has def aged better and the proof is in the HD filming. Sorry gurl.

in 10 years i will be known as a REVOLUTIONARY...some discourse is just...ahead of its time .

kirito is gonna freeze his dna and replicate and be beautiful into 2057

3 minutes ago, emmny said:

in 10 years i will be known as a REVOLUTIONARY...some discourse is just...ahead of its time .

not everyone can be Die, shayan...........

32 minutes ago, emmny said:

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

And maybe he'll finally perform DNA live instead of skipping it like he's done the last four reunion shows :/

47 minutes ago, emmny said:

I'd argue that the real eternal unaging immortal in PIERROT is Jun, but Kirito does look good, so I agree. Lol. XD

1 hour ago, emmny said:

you can always be wrong ahead of the time tbh

2 hours ago, Chi said:

not everyone can be Die, shayan...........

banging white chicks is his secret...here's to hoping his sexy ass continues drinking from the fountain of youth

are there outfit sketches for diru yet? kyo's selfie delivered me from all my sins and i hope the rest of those guys pulled some sexy shit.

shinya's white ruffles were cute but...typical!

4 hours ago, emmny said:

banging white chicks is his secret...here's to hoping his sexy ass continues drinking from the fountain of youth

are there outfit sketches for diru yet? kyo's selfie delivered me from all my sins and i hope the rest of those guys pulled some sexy shit.

Maybe someone will post later. I didn't buy pamphlets cuz they were 5,000 yen PER DAY. Some highway robbery shit y'all lol

The special two-day live DVD/Blu-ray will include a live photo booklet tho.

BARKS did a live report for the first day which had a couple of pics and I imagine one of the VK mags or another music news outlet will eventually do a two-day report with some pics.

10 hours ago, emmny said: