Pandabear

Plastic Tree

Plastic+Tree+PNG.png

From Last F.M

Plastic Tree is an alternative rock band from Japan that was formed in December 1993 by Arimura Ryutaro and Hasegawa Tadashi. Since then, the line-up has changed a few times before settling on Ryutaro on vocals, Tadashi on bass, Nakayama Akira on guitar and Satou Kenken on drums.

Ryutaro and Tadashi wanted to combine two words to form the band name; something artificial and something natural. After trying a few combinations, they decided on ‘Plastic Tree’.

In the beginning, Plastic Tree were influenced greatly by The Cure. There was also a large britrock influence. Plastic Tree played a mix of indie rock, punk, and heavier grunge, characterized by Ryutaro’s generic Visual Kei voice and gloomy lyrics. They went through a period where they played more pop-rock and radio-style rock music, although they have recently returned from lighter music to their original roots.

One of my all time favorite J-rock Bands. Nega to Poji, Parade, Chandelier, and Shiro Chronicle are my fav albums of theirs. And just to add, I disagree with the whole Ryutaro having a generic Vk vocal style from the quote. I believe it's unique and far better. It really suits their musical style.

I like their music. Well, certain songs of it.

It's creepy how Ryutarou never seems to age though. He still looks in his twenties :s

It's creepy how Ryutarou never seems to age though. He still looks in his twenties :s

True Facts. He must have some super youth cream or something.

actually he looks kinda weary and old without makeup (you can see these kind of pics in Neko's blog) >.<

and I wish he gets well soon...

(I'm kinda surprised to see so few replies here, I thought a lot of ppl on TW like them :? )

wrong place, but: does anyone have a download for their Tent 2 performance at Budokan?

(I'm kinda surprised to see so few replies here, I thought a lot of ppl on TW like them :? )

I always thought there was already a thread for them but perhaps that was on another incarnation of TW.

At any rate I've grown to like them. Before Nega to Poji I really couldn't get into their stuff, though I really tried too since their style is something I typically would like but something just hadn't clicked prior (with the exception of a few songs like Head Red Dip It for example). But when Nega to Poji was released despite not being a fan previously I listened and it was easily one of my favorite releases that year. After that I've grown to really like them.

I've always considered myself a fan of their work since I first heard Baria, Tsumetai Hikari and Planetarium (which remain as some of my favorites) many years ago, but only recently I've grown to really love their stuff. Their albums are among the releases I expect the most every year - and it only helps to the fact that they always deliver and that for some reason, their stuff does not seem to get old at all. And he fact that they've been going strong for almost 20 years now is quite something too.

Their albums are among the releases I expect the most every year - and it only helps to the fact that they always deliver and that for some reason, their stuff does not seem to get old at all.

I totally feel the same way. I think this is true of any great band. The ones whose music you never get tired of listening, despite the number of times you play them, or how much time passes. I think another great characteristic of a great band like pura, are the feelings they evoke. IMO all great music stirs something deep inside us.

Speaking of which, I haven't heard their new albums or recent releases, except moonlight - which I loved. Rusty was pure awesomeness.

Always thought they were crap, but then I was recommended Nega to Poji, and I turned out LOVING that album. Love Mirai Iro as well. Can't wait for the new album!

Always thought they were crap, but then I was recommended Nega to Poji, and I turned out LOVING that album. Love Mirai Iro as well. Can't wait for the new album!

Ammonite was great. Liked it better than Don Dona and Utsusemi.

The first time I listened to them, I really didn't enjoy them, but decided to give Mirai Iro a chance and... wow. Ammonite is also great.

^ That album's pretty great. :) You should try their following albums, they're not bad either. Dona dona and Chandelier are my faves from that period, although I must admit I still haven't listened to their latest one. xD

Plastic tree band to me everyday is new feelings, I love voice of ryutaro makes me happy and same time sad and i like this. 

In fact I love plastic tree anyway :D

Pura is that band I really dig, but often times forget to listen to.  So I hear them, and I'm like, why don't I listen to you guys more?  Then, time goes on, and I forget again.  Their music reminds me of like, hot summer evenings and glass bottles of soda.

Plastic Tree is my all-time favourite band. The most recent song that I'm obsessed over is Kagee - from their mini-album, echo. :D

But overall my favourite release from them would be Gestalt Houkai - almost all my favourite songs in one best-of album.

I wasn't a fan of pura at first, and I only had/liked a couple of their songs. The first pura song I heard was Sanatorium, and it actually became soundtrack of my 2012 second quarter. It wasn't until I started reading about their history and influences that I started to understand why/how they sound the way they do. I realized that a good number of their influences were the same as mine growing up. That's when I really started to listen to their songs and ended really loving them.

Not sure if it has any relevance, but my middle name is actually "Pura" and my band's name is "Atori". Just a funny coincidence.      

I've been getting into them again pretty heavily recently.  Something I've always wondered is, are they considered "goth rock?"  I'm not very good with genres or anything, but I'm certain I can sometimes hear a The Cure or Red Lorry Yellow Lorry sort of influence in their music.  It's actually part of what attracts me to them so much, honestly.

I was talking about your style musical in private group about pura, all answers is different to them. I think that they are different every way to who is fan. Personally I love they and I think that in each new release exist one a perspective musical that makes so excited to know what they gonna do.