Pandabear

Plastic Tree

I can see that.  It's hard to pin them to one specific genre, so I've always wondered if there's a one that people generally agree upon.

I can see that.  It's hard to pin them to one specific genre, so I've always wondered if there's a one that people generally agree upon.

Yes, I believe that the band is always grow up and try always innovate with your songs and way to express the your love to music. However, the focus of plastic tree band is continous to fans. the old band plastic tree always gonna live with us and mainly with the fans that follow they since first release :D

I remember reading (or seeing from somewhere) where Ryutaro was quoted saying: "I don't really think about the genre when writing songs. I just think about which sound would best express what I write about", or something to that effect. I believe this is a good practice, that way they would never get restricted to one particular sound (and in turn, widen their fanbase).

Just a thought. :)

Music should, indeed, be a free thing.  I'm glad that, as it would seem from that quote, Ryutaro (and Pura in general?) would probably agree with that.

I'll be honest, Plastic Tree didn't do much for me back when I first heard Doukou, but I think that's cuz I haven't heard a voice like Ryutaro's before. Then, later on I got to listen to their album Ink, and I fell in love with them. Their music is so peaceful, so soothing, nothing I've heard from visual kei before. Sure their music at the beginning was quite different from what they do now, but that shows how much drastic change this band has gone through over the years. This band is a new fave of mine, and I'm glad I discovered them. ♥ Now I know why they're so popular xD

So how does one even go about getting into this band? Their discography is huge and from what I've heard the quality of their work tends to be rather inconsistent so I feel as though it'd be really easy to listen to the "wrong" release first. Are there any releases that tend to be unanimously agreed to be amongst their best? I'd like to give them a shot but I really have no idea where to start.

^ As early as their albums "Parade" and "Puppet Show" (personal early fav is Träumerei) I think are what the majority lean to but everyone's tastes appear to vary a lot on these guys' albums so I'm possibly wrong. I personally recommend "ammonite" and "Dona Dona" ("Ink" too if I can say a third) from what I've seen of you in dub. If you ask me they've always been consistent, just their album "Shirochronicle" that dips into low quality unlike the rest of their work. There's stand out tracks on all the rest of their albums, but from what I've seen their earlier stuff is the best regarded so I'd suggest starting with those two albums then try the other two/three I brought up if you'd like.

So how does one even go about getting into this band? Their discography is huge and from what I've heard the quality of their work tends to be rather inconsistent so I feel as though it'd be really easy to listen to the "wrong" release first. Are there any releases that tend to be unanimously agreed to be amongst their best? I'd like to give them a shot but I really have no idea where to start.

I suggest to you start from the firstly mini-album and albums... I always think that to start to know the "high" from a band you should start with maninly albums and then mini-albums. 

Hide and seek 

Puppet show HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Parade

träumerei

- cell (No much recommend)

Nega to poji HIGHLY RECOMMEND

- B-men Gahou (No much recommend)

- Utsusemi

Dona Dona HIGHLY RECOMMEND

ammonite  HIGHLY RECOMMEND

- ink

I hope that u like these first albums.

Personally, I find their newest album (Hakusei) to be one of their best. There are some bloody incredible songs on there. Ammonite is also brilliant, and probably my favourite.

Nega to Poji is personally my favorite album. Every song from it is just brilliant. Träumerei, Cell, Chandelier, Dona Dona, and Ammonite are quite good too. You really can't go wrong with their albums so I don't know if my post has helped in narrowing down where to start, haha. Chances are that you won't be disappointed wherever you start, but like beni said, it does vary among other people's tastes.

Its impossible to get a unanimous consent over Pura. Their songs and albums speak in so many diferent ways for all the fans. I seconded what Delki and plastic_rainbow said about Nega to Poji, althoght. Favorite album.

I basically agree with everyone,i just REALLY prefer their heavier shoegaze periods--i find older pura sounds like generic alt rock; so i mostly avoid stuff pre-2006 (kill meeeee)

i started with ammonite and then utsusemi, its a good dose of their melodic rock side along with their post/shoegaze influences.

also moonlight is fucking amazing listen to that before u do anything.

i love them so much for doing this i'm crying....... TwT it brings back so many memories

remake look of puppet show era:

DEr51ggUwAArlsq.jpg

complete remake of nega to poji look:

DEr6IY-VYAAfkdN.jpg

the old photos (with bucchi):

Spoiler

cover.php?id_album=114929

(there's no exact comparison photo, but this was what i thought of upon seeing the new look)

DEsNwjFU0AAUHiP.jpg

Edited by plastic_rainbow

20 hours ago, plastic_rainbow said:

i love them so much for doing this i'm crying....... TwT it brings back so many memories

Spoiler

DEr51ggUwAArlsq.jpg

Spoiler

DEr6IY-VYAAfkdN.jpg

These looks are probably for album anniversary tours, but they'd go great with "Rebuild" albums, like what MUCC are doing with the 新-albums. A rebuild version of Puppet Show especially would be cool.

I would literally die if we got Puppet Show -rebuild-.

21 hours ago, plastic_rainbow said:

DEr51ggUwAArlsq.jpg

DEr6IY-VYAAfkdN.jpg

the old photos (with bucchi):

Reveal hidden contents

cover.php?id_album=114929

(there's no exact comparison photo, but this was what i thought of upon seeing the new look)

DEsNwjFU0AAUHiP.jpg

Double post -- Ken looks remarkably like Satoshi in these photos...

So are they disbanding or what?  I saw a recent interview in Skream and its got me anxious.

Edit, never mind got an answer

Edited by Strangemelodies
Received answer