robkun

Which era of visual kei is YOUR favorite? -The battle of the VK eras-

Which era of visual kei is YOUR favorite?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which era of visual kei is your favorite in terms of music you enjoy, styles, etc?

• Pre-wave aka the precursors (1984~1988) (examples: D'ERLANGER, Uchoten (有頂天), Kinniku Shojo Tai (筋肉少女帯), BUCK-TICK, ZIGGY)
    • The first wave (1988~1993) (examples: X JAPAN, COLOR, BY-SEXUAL, Kamaitachi (かまいたち), LUNA SEA)
    • The second wave (1993~1997) (examples: Kuroyume (黒夢), GLAY, L'Arc~en~Ciel, MALICE MIZER, LAREINE)
    • The third wave (1997~2001) (examples: SHAZNA, La'cryma Christi, FANATIC CRISIS, PIERROT, Dir en grey)
    • The fourth wave (2001~2005) (examples: Psycho le Cemu, MUCC (ムック), An Cafe, the GazettE, SID (シド))
    • The fifth wave (2005~2010) (examples: Kagrra, D, Phantasmagoria, Megamasso (メガマソ), Versailles)
    • The sixth wave (2010~2013) (examples: DOG inTHE PWO, SCREW, Kiryu (己龍), NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST, Golden Bomber (ゴールデンボンバー))
    • The seventh wave aka the current-graduating wave (2013~2017) (examples: MEJIBRAY, DEZERT, AvelCain, D.I.D., DADAROMA)

Okay people, so as you all know, I enjoy uploading a good amount of VK. In my time, I have managed to upload some stuff from the precursors of VK to the very present. What I would like to know though... is which era of VK is YOUR favorite??

Now just to make a few things clear:
- The eras are absolutely NOT definitive, meaning that the bands I chose to represent the eras on here are just from their popularity at the time, as well as reflecting the attitude I think is appropriate for the time period.

- Yes, I KNOW THERE ARE MORE BANDS THAT CAN FIT/REPRESENT THE TIME-PERIOD. For the sake of time though, I only chose five of each category/choice. Mainly because it's 7AM and my parents are confused as why I'm still awake.

With that all out of the way, I ask YOU fellow MH-heads: which era of VK is YOUR favorite? Which wave are you on??

PRE-WAVE aka THE PRECURSORS!! (circa 1984~1988)

~D'ERLANGER~
langer_zpsv4sjt1gm.png

~Uchoten (有頂天)~

ucho_zpsqysr2i37.png

~BUCK-TICK~
bt_zpsvtvd2e4f.png

~Kinniku Shojo Tai (筋肉少女帯)~
king_zps2a7b8ksz.png

~ZIGGY~
ziggy_zpsvgkk1ee5.png

THE FIRST WAVE (circa 1988~1993)

~X JAPAN~
x_zpsdew0f2p1.png

~COLOR~
color_zpsnwepemzm.png

~BY-SEXUAL~
bysex_zpsvrzbghkg.png

~Kamaitachi (かまいたち)~
kamai_zpsl5rkwxlw.png

~LUNA SEA~
ls_zpsk7wd4lgw.png

THE SECOND WAVE (circa 1993~1997)

~Kuroyume (黒夢)~
ky_zpsirlejjly.png

~GLAY~
glay_zpsolwcscxx.png

~L'Arc~en~Ciel~
larc_zpspzy7yuue.png

~MALICE MIZER~
mm_zpsfcpyiond.png

~LAREINE~
lareine_zpspahce0hm.png

THE THIRD WAVE (circa 1997 through 2001)

~SHAZNA~
shaz_zpsduy21ymi.png

~La'cryma Christi~
lacryma_zpsdinock9m.png

~FANATIC CRISIS~
IMG_4322_zpsrrpe8wfz.jpg

~PIERROT~

IMG_4324_zps49tt3bcy.jpg

~Dir en grey~
diru_zpsthdiktd4.png

THE FOURTH WAVE (circa 2001~2005)

~Psycho le Cemu~
plc_zpswbjzpbkq.png

~MUCC~
IMG_4320_zpsglyuj6yb.jpg

~An Cafe~

cafe_zpsz6wkigig.png

~the GazettE~
gazette_zpsvscxzy9y.png

~SID (シド)~
sid_zps8kaupbt4.png

THE FIFTH WAVE (circa 2005~2010)

~Kagrra~
kagrra_zpshr8ytjnx.png

~D~
d_zpswrpq2et7.png

~Phantasmagoria~
phantas_zpsso2ijxmo.png

~Megamasso (メガマソ)~
megamasso_zpss6ber1wh.png

~Versailles~
versailles_zpsl351nzxp.png

THE SIXTH WAVE (circa 2010~2013)

~DOG inTHE PWO~
dog_zps3juogt4y.png

~SCREW~

screw_zps6zqvun02.png

~Kiryu (己龍)~

kiryu_zpsrmrblznb.png

~NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST~
nocturnal_zps6bmjblzd.png

~Golden Bomber (ゴールデンボンバー)~
gb_zpsy4inamsn.png

THE SEVENTH WAVE aka THE CURRENT-GRADUATING WAVE (circa 2013~2017)

~MEJIBRAY~
meji_zps7kucqh0a.png

~DEZERT~
dezert_zpsen6vtnzk.png

~AvelCain~
avelcain_zpskfkonadt.png

~D.I.D.~

did_zpspk9gyjfe.png

~DADAROMA~
dadaroma_zpshyycri48.png

Edited by robkun

I'll have to go with the first wave. I just love that raw and wild thrash/speed metal a lot of them bands brought to the table in their early days. The first few releases by X Japan and Aion, Rosenfeld, , Gargoyle, Harkenkreuz, Mein Kampf, Rommel and so on. The visual kei metal scene wasn't very big at this time as far as I know, but the few thrash/speed metal bands I know of from this time rules.

Following that I'd probably go for the fifth wave because of Kagrra and Heidi.

come on 4th wave we got tosinn, deadman, emmuree, kagerou, rentrer en soi, gullet, d'espairsray, merry go round, goth malice mizer

but mid 5th wave was flawless tho

this is difficult, since i like bands from a lot of different waves. but in terms of the music that i enjoy the most, probably 6th or 7th

Edited by itsukoii

Damn you should've made it so we could vote for at least 3. Love this topic.

Edited by sume7

I'm very partial to the proto vk bands of the early to late 80's and the second wave in particular. To me the second wave is the most charming era of VK and it just feels like they tried harder. I'm also partial to the styles of proto vk bands (80's glam) and neo classical of the second wave (ala Malice Mizer and Lareine). 

Got into vkei in 2006, so bands around that time and later. It got dead when the autotune was popular, but lately I've been getting my interest back, because many old musicians came back and also got in touch with the community again. I voted for 2005-2010, but I like the last one, too.

From late 80s to mid 2000s were my shit. Don't ever understand the scenes around late 2000s at all, save for Versailles and few other acts.

And I was away from the community during that time and find another interests in music.

And returning on the latest one cos DADAROMA and MEJIRBAY, they relight the fireplace that I haven't been using for awhile now.

wish I could select all of them… I like the "experimental rock" part about VK bands in general. started listening to it since BUCK-TICK and following to this day.

every era contains a couple of favorite bands 

Man it's all about that fifth wave for me. Dio distraught overlord, awoi, DI3SIRAE, girugamesh, sadie, unsraw, despairsray, √eight and the list goes on and on. But man I wish you would've allowed us to vote for more than one. It's not even fair to just pick one. lol At least 3.

The best answer is to pick inside each era to find a "type" we enjoy :P

For me is a mix between 2, 3, 4 and 5. I don't find many sounds I like in more recent bands ...

Fifth wave is so nostalgic for me (got into vk somewhere around that time) but sixth and seventh have most of my favorite bands.