Zeus

5 Sounds I'd Like To Hear in 2017 Visual Kei

It's THAT question again  

83 members have voted

1. 1. You can only have one back for good. Which one would you take?

• D'espairsRay (1999-2007)
    • Kagrra,
    • Aicle.
    • RENTRER EN SOI (up to Sphire-Croid)
    • A

I had to cast in my vote for A because they were my baes. I'm totally hoping that the new band Aiolin can help fill the void a bit, but that'll have to wait until their album drops.

Also for those who want a little throwback to kagrra imo, I'd check out 凜ひとえ(rin-hitoe). They give me some deffo kagrra vibes and I'd be super surprised if they weren't big fans.

I honestly do wish more bands would step up and return to that sound bands like Kagerou, early Mucc, early D'espairs Ray etc. had again, I mean you already have a handful of bands sort of vaguelyyyy approaching it, but they're not 100% there yet. I love that deranged mallgoth nu-/alt-metal sound, it's so good

On another note, I'm probably gonna be like the only one who wants/needs this, but I honest to god have been dying for a band to step in and pick up where Guruguru Eigakan left off. They had such an uniquely retro and uniquely 'Japanese' sound, it's really a pity that more bands aren't doing it. Of course, I realize that it probably won't bring in a lot of money, and that might be one of the reasons, but... eyyy. Only new-ish act I can think of that vaguely approaches the sound at times is Kalavinka, if there's any others out there then they're too deep in underground hell for me to know about 'em...

On 1/1/2017 at 7:22 PM, Platy said:

We need oshare bands to start getting creative, think outside the small box of generic themes for once  otherwise the genre will remain dead.

Couldn't agree more, and while I'm one of the very few avid indie oshare fans probably out here, I would agree that Aicle was definitely one of the best oshare bands that graced the scene. I loved the bands that would combine unusual guitar melodies, occasional heaviness, random screaming bits and melodic choruses and mend it all together to create some sort of chaotic masterpiece and early Aicle did that. Lolita23Q is another solid example that @JamesRbrought up - another very nice mid 2000s band. There were also other really nice oshare bands (Hime Ichigo, Juliette, etc)but oshare was a very very acquired taste. The indies sound back then was much more esoteric  than it is today. A good example of this would be the vocal style transition that we've seen from vocalists. That raspy signature visual kei voice is something we don't hear quite as much anymore and has been replaced with a more refined clean singing style. All of the bands listed in the OP were pretty cool though and I had difficulty choosing between Aicle and Kagrra,

I voted for D'espairsRay, especially what they did between 2001 and 2003.
I think it would be interesting an option like Lacroix Despheres

22 hours ago, Biopanda said:

I had to cast in my vote for A because they were my baes. I'm totally hoping that the new band Aiolin can help fill the void a bit, but that'll have to wait until their album drops.

Also for those who want a little throwback to kagrra imo, I'd check out 凜ひとえ(rin-hitoe). They give me some deffo kagrra vibes and I'd be super surprised if they weren't big fans.

Actually Aiolin is the main reason I didn't vote for A. I have hopes for them too.

And I will definitely check 凜ひとえ, thank you so much for the tip, Panda :D

I wish there was more darkwave in modern VK. We seriously lack our SchwarzSteins, Malice Mizers (Moi dix Mois are no replacement and take forever to release anything new, let alone interesting) and Velvet Edens (def a new band with that sound must form, for Dada is an absolute Drama queen and to busy whining on twitter).

Also I wish more contemporary bands would be legit dark and gloomy. Not just play uber-br000tal -core and call that "dark". That stuff might come off as angsty and angry at most, but lacks all atmosphere to come off as really sinister or mysterious. Malice Mizer have certainly perfected this in their last era, which makes me even more mad that they are still not back. Also yes, early D'espairsRay's sound was really cool too. Would like to have more of that as well. But probably unlikely, just as VK bands rediscovering goff music.

Chances are higher we could get more witchhouse. But somehow VK is extremely out of touch with newer fads, so that might not happen either. Metalcore is already out and old hat. Most people are now either into Djent and yet most VK bands are still stuck imitating  Bring me the Horizon and those other -core bands. It laggs really behind. Where's Dark Ambient kei? Witchhouse? Synthwave? Vaporwave? I am surprised no one in VK (except DALLE) have jumped on the hipster "goth" music stuff, considering how they love to ape and appropriate the style (see the Gazette's last look).