Kaleidoscope

What is the perfect album length for you?

18 minutes ago, JukaForever said:

I don't think a 100 min is possible on CD

It's a good thing one can actually release a double/triple/quadruple/whatever album on tape, CD and vinyl without any problems whatsoever then.

Edited by Bear

For me, 40 minutes is the optimal length. Many death metal masterpieces clock at 35 minutes or less(Atheist's Unquestionable Presence, Deicide's Legion and Entombed's Wolverine Blues come to mind) and I find it somewhat frustrating. 45-60 minutes is still ok in my book, but it's extremely hard for a band to deliver one hour of consistently good music...

I guess I'm strange compared to many other on here because I prefer long songs and thus I also prefer long albums so I'd say 70 mins. minimum.

1 hour ago, JukaForever said:

I don't think a 100 min is possible on CD

It is. mp3 cd's can hold like 8 albums so roughly like 700-800 mins. They used to be my favorite thing in middle school back when cd players were still a thing. lol

Edited by sume7

18 minutes ago, JukaForever said:

It wouldn't be part of my preferences for a full length album (single LP).

But with a single LP you more often than not have to flip the LP (unless it's only 25 min long or something), which is no different from changing CDs. I don't see the problem.

17 minutes ago, sume7 said:

It is. mp3 cd's can hold like 8 albums so roughly like 700-800 mins. They used to be my favorite thing in middle school back when cd players were still a thing. lol

Holy shit, that's a lot

10 minutes ago, Bear said:

But with a single LP you more often than not have to flip the LP (unless it's only 25 min long or something), which is no different from changing CDs. I don't see the problem.

I meant that as a time length, I believe it is common lingo to describe a full length album as single LP. I could be wrong.

Granted the artist can also just drop their release in digital which saves the need for a physical format and it can be listen straight through.

14 hours ago, JukaForever said:

I meant that as a time length, I believe it is common lingo to describe a full length album as single LP. I could be wrong.

Granted the artist can also just drop their release in digital which saves the need for a physical format and it can be listen straight through.

I did not know that was common as everyone I know/talk to online uses LP/vinyl for, well, LP/vinyl. But I get what you mean.

But as you say, if one doesn't like to flip sides/CDs one can just listen to them digital as most albums are up digital anyway, and if it isn't you can just rip it easily yourself. There's always a solution for listening to long albums without any stops if you like that sort of thing.

Speaking about long albums, I consider Aureon's The Universal Migrator to have a perfect lenght. This album is split into two seperate releases, but it's just one big piece of work as far as I am concerned and I never listen to just one of the CDs. Always play them back to back, and together they're about 135 minutes long.

I also play Midnight Odyssey's two full lenghts from A to Z when listening to them, and they're 125 and 145 minutes long. They just have to be listened in one session to get the full experience.

On the other side I'm a big fan of S.O.B. and their two first full lenghts are less than 20 minutes long. 19.42m and 19.56m to be specific, but I wouldn't want these albums any longer as they are perfect as they are. This type of grindcore and thrashcore just doesn't have to be any longer than that as the music is really intense.