Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

#90: RED INVISIBLE by RAZOR

You can only choose one.  

21 members have voted

1. 1. BORN or RAZOR?

• I'll take BORN back any day of the week in any form. The five of them had chemistry and charisma that cannot be touched by RAZOR.
    • Give me BORN but only a certain era and you got it.
    • I'll give or take either I don't care.
    • This one mini was more convincing than 90% of BORN's material. RAZOR please.
    • BORN is dead. The future is here. GIVE ME RAZOR!

tumblr_oinvr6dydn1rfey86o1_1280.png

68a673bdf4c11b3c1465553e5a082e55.jpg8c63895efb8f67c2a78e32deb2f54e10.jpg

:_7/10_: | An edgy visual kei band I can get behind.

BORN went through two name changes and many more concepts, but underneath it all, average riffcraft and a lack of identity painted them into a corner they couldn't compose out of. By the end of their career, BORN lacked presence and looked better than they sounded. In constant, upstart visual band RAZOR has a large presence from the beginning, with opener "ANOTHER" featuring crunchy bass and drums pummeling enough to get the energy going. There's a visceral edge to this band I haven't heard in a while and I welcome it.  Ryouga can also be found alternating between his own brand of vocal fry, demented ranting, his comfortable range, and some high pitched singing I haven't heard before. The use of auto-tune toes the line, but it's tastefully applied so I'll let it slide.

RED INVISIBLE's core formula will be familiar to fans of BORN, but it is fresh enough to remain exciting. Each song offers something unique and they often take a turn towards the demented right at their most predictable which makes them interesting. "ギブミー不気味" (give me bukimi) is the best example of such a track, but most songs do it in their own fashion. "MISSING PIECE" is my least favorite track; as the token ballad of the mini, it would be better if the vocals weren't layered with unnecessary distortion and that annoying eurobeat synth was removed entirely. It's just a mess. A handful of sudden transitions and mid tempo choruses elsewhere constrains the band a bit, but there's so many ideas packed into six tracks that it will take a few listens before I tire of this. By the end of opener "RED ZONE", I've been presented with more than enough reasons to go back.

It's so refreshing to see a visual band with some energy successfully channel it in their first release. RAZOR closes the door on 2016 with a bang. This is a band to keep an eye on.

Support the band!

CDJapan

I went into this album having never listened to BORN, so I had no idea what to really expect, and while it's nothing life-changing, I do think it's a solid debut. I think there were a few nice unexpected moments in terms of arrangement (like the breakdown in track 2, and the progressive slow-down of track 3 at the end), but I do wish the songs had a bit more individual personality. They should have omitted track 5 altogether....that was a very sloppy and tacky attempt at a ballad. Perhaps leaving that track out would have left a stronger impression, but the other songs are strong enough that it doesn't matter too much. Overall, I like the energy and I hope they're continue to develop their sound.

5 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

I went into this album having never listened to BORN, so I had no idea what to really expect, and while it's nothing life-changing, I do think it's a solid debut. I think there were a few nice unexpected moments in terms of arrangement (like the breakdown in track 2, and the progressive slow-down of track 3 at the end), but I do wish the songs had a bit more individual personality. They should have omitted track 5 altogether....that was a very sloppy and tacky attempt at a ballad. Perhaps leaving that track out would have left a stronger impression, but the other songs are strong enough that it doesn't matter too much. Overall, I like the energy and I hope they're continue to develop their sound.

Bruh, I sent you a BORN track on a mix once I remember you liking. I think it was RED DESIRE...

Anyway, despite my high score I still think BORN has something over this band. Which is to be expected, since BORN was first RENNY AMY and D&L. Band members that play together for over a decade are going to sound better together than guys that have been only practicing for a few months at a time. Nothing on RED INVISIBLE touches this classic though.

I don't want to see comment on BORN, so I should not be here

BORN is gone, not dead

no choice

now is  RAZOR, not because which one is better, no choice

This was a release I gambled on by ordering it in advance, and it surpassed my expectations. There's some real energy here and from the powerful opener to the catchy closer, I've been spinning it over and over since it arrived through my door a day after release. The short length and distinct tracks make it very replayable in my opinion. Considering the number of songs they debuted at their first one-man too, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce another mini or even a full album soon. I'm excited for their live on 1/15, got my ticket a week or two ago.

I was really curious about the musical direction when this line-up was announced. I'm very familiar with 4 of their members (Kouryuu, Tetsuya, Ryoga, and Tsurugi). After finally hearing this release I can safely say elements from each musician really shine in this group. Tetsuya (ex. SKULL, ex. MBHI and ex. support for Igaguri Chiba) is more than just a drummer. He's responsible for most of the instrumental compositions for SKULL so I've come to recognize his musical phrasing and production (though I'm not sure how much production plays in this). Tsurugi ( Sadie) offers more melodic guitar leads that aren't too heavy (which worked best with stuff like ice romancer and swallow rain from Sadie. Ryoga I'm familiar with but I was never really in to Born. However, his strategies on vocal phrasing is very similar though it seems he's developed a slightly different approach. The resemblance is still there. Then we get our heavier chugga-chugs that come from Kouryuu (ex. Keith, ex. Dopes, ex. MBHI). I've known of him for some time and i don't even know his full past band list but I knew him the most from MBHI. The song I think that displays all of that properly and in a tasteful manner is "Primary". I think the slower song "Missing Piece" is their weakest song and feels out of place. My favorite song is "埋葬 (maisou)" because it sounds intense and like it'd be a shit ton of fun live. If I'm not mistaken, Ryoga posted on twitter about filming a video so I'm assuming they'll announce another release soon!

I'm really looking forward to following these guys and I'm really glad to see Tetsuya still involved in the scene. He went off the radar somewhat after SKULL aside from doing stuff for Chiba... let's not lose him again. lol. 

Great review @Zeus!

LOL sad, "MISSING PIECE" is my favorite track. For me it's easily the most memorable on the entire mini. Too bad it's not getting much love.

After liking D&L, I got bored with BORN after their first album and I'm glad Ryoga is trying to change up his vocal style here a bit. I was slightly disappointed not hearing more of Tetsuya's composition from what I could tell he's only got his hands in a couple of songs or he's toned down his usual style drastically. I'll know more when I can actually read the credits in the CD jacket when I get my hands on it. I like this mini, it feels like a strong start but there's a high chance if these guys don't push the envelope some they'll just be another generic vk band. 

Sign in to follow this