helcchi

Most prolific vk bands

We all know that VK bands breed releases like rabbits, so I've been trying to gauge out which bands are the worst serial offenders in coming out with new material and did some number crunching on some of the bands with the most extensive discographies (excluding remixes, remasters, karaoke/instrumental and re-recordings)

So far I haven't been able to find a band that even comes close to being as prolific as mejibray with so much material in such short time, not even ains bands.

Except maybe Grieva.

MEJIBRAY

years: 5.5 years

unique songs: ≳102

time it takes to listen: 6.7 hours

productivity rate: 19 songs per year - almost 2 full albums every year. seriously how

GRIEVA

years: 4.5 years

unique songs: ≳76-86 (too many SEs)

time it takes to listen: 4.7 hours

productivity rate: 18 songs per year

DIAURA

years: 6 years

unique songs: ≳97

time it takes to listen: 6.5 hours

productivity rate: 16 songs per year / 1 album + single per year / 1 EP every 4 months

Lycaon

years: 7.5 years

unique songs: ≳100

time it takes to listen: 5.8 hours

productivity rate: 13 songs / 1 album per year

KIRYU

years: 9 years

unique songs: ≳113

time it takes to listen: 7.3 hours

productivity rate: 12 songs / 1 album per year

DEZERT

years: 5 years

unique songs: ≳60

time it takes to listen: 3.5 hours

productivity rate: 12 songs / 1 album per year

girugamesh

years: 12

unique songs: ≳130

time it takes to listen: 7.8 hours

productivity rate: 11 songs / 1 album per year

AWOI

years: 9.5 years

unique songs: ≳85

time it takes to listen: 5.7 hours

productivity rate: 9 songs / 1 album + 1 EP every alternating year

list is short because filtering out duplicates is hard.

It would also be interesting to see how well some of the longer-tenured bands do on this list.

This is really interesting. I want to look into some older bands like MUCC and BUCK-TICK to see what the numbers say but they got like 20 years of releases to sort through so this may take a bit of time lol.

add xaa-xaa in this, note tho that their short band life skewes how prolific they are

they've definitely been coming out with more than an albums worth for 2015 and 2016

scapegoat and gossip have been really busy this year too

Edited by emmny

9 minutes ago, emmny said:

add xaa-xaa in this, note tho that their short band life skewes how prolific they are

they've definitely been coming out with more than an albums worth for 2015 and 2016

yeah i was about to say the same about XAA-XAA

years: 2 years
unique songs: 41
time it takes to listen: 2 hours, 38 minutes
productivity rate: ~20 songs / year

it is worth mentioning they made 12 songs in about a 2 month time frame before forming. 

Edited by anakuro

2 hours ago, emmny said:

xaa-xaa and gossip's reproduction rate seem utterly terrifying, but give them another 2 years and we'll see if they slow down.

gossip

years: 2.2 years

unique songs: ≳44

time it takes to listen: 3.1 hours

productivity rate: 20 songs / year

SCAPEGOAT

years: 8 years

unique songs: ≳74

time it takes to listen: ??? >4 hours?

productivity rate: 9.25 songs / year

and I was looking at mejibray's stats when 420 was released (2014) - they were ramping at a rate of 22 songs/year at that point,

with 77 unique songs and 5.2 hours of listening material

Edited by helcchi

5 hours ago, saishuu said:

MUCC in mid 00's was terrifying. Sometimes I felt they had a new single like every week.

I think 2006 was their peak (granted, it was a special year for them). 2 studio albums, 4 singles + a cover album and special privilege live album for those that bought a bunch of their stuff during that year.

But, I think KuRt got them beat. KuRt was around for less than 2 years and released staggering ELEVEN SINGLES and one mini-album. PLUS, distributed CDs and omnibus.

KuRt

unique songs: ≳40

productivity rate: ≳ 20 songs/year

And, gosh, remember 彩冷える when 涼平 wrote pretty much everything? I'm pretty sure that between 2005/06 they averaged a single every 40 days. I don't like 彩冷える so can't be sure just how much stuff they released, but I'm pretty sure it's in that same "over-20 songs-a-year-ballpark". Fuck SPEED DISK.

Edited by r...

i feel like Liphlich deserves to be mentioned ITT as well these days, considering the rate at which they've been pumping out releases lately seems pretty high (2 full length albums in 2016 alone, along with singles)

On 12/10/2016 at 9:30 PM, helcchi said:

MEJIBRAY

years: 5.5 years

unique songs: ≳102

time it takes to listen: 6.7 hours

productivity rate: 19 songs per year - almost 2 full albums every year. seriously how

How? Well, many of their songs sound like copies of their other songs. Quantity > quality. 

(I do really like ~10-15% of their songs)

Also it would not surprise me if most bands had ghostwriters writing at least some of their music.

Kiryu's pace is not as high as I expected. Surprise.

Here's some new-ish bands that I cared enough to think about.  Obviously these are "young" bands and I'd expect the average to drop as they age. Or they could pull a Mejibray, who knows.

I might have missed some live dists in the song count.. dunno, I don't really follow that stuff closely

Liraizo

years: 2 years (debut Oct 2014)

songs: 22, plus 12 monthly 1-song live dist singles which I'm assuming are new full songs, so 34

avg: 17

Arlequin

years: 3 years (debut Oct 2013)

songs: 50  ?

avg: 16.7 

Pentagon

years: 2 years (debut Feb 2015... or a few months earlier if you count their time as "Call Me"?)

songs: 36 ?  35 if you don't want to count "FRONT"

avg: 18

Avanchick

years: 2.5 years (debut June 2014)

songs: 30 ?

avg: 12  ... wow that's much lower than I thought. Probably because their album only had 4 new songs. yeah i'm still mad.

5 hours ago, The Moon said:

Came in here to say this - they were crazy when they first came out.

Oh yes, first 2 EP in 2 months (december 2006, and then january 2007), following by 2 albums (march and october ). Let's not forget the DVDs (february and september). That was hard to follow x'D damn you megamasso <3

27 minutes ago, eiheartx said:

Oh yes, first 2 EP in 2 months (december 2006, and then january 2007), following by 2 albums (march and october ). Let's not forget the DVDs (february and september). That was hard to follow x'D damn you megamasso <3

yeah, I remember when I was first into visual kei, they were my favorite band and I bought their first three releases lol 

I don't fell like counting up exactly how many original songs they've released but THE SOUND BEE HD  have a shit load of releases.

Excluding remakes, remixes, omnibus tracks, and releases, Penicillin has released 234 unique songs.

That's around 10 songs a year which isn't that much compared to some of the bands listed here, however they've also been around since 1992. 17+ albums is still quite prolific 

I feel like SuG should be here. 21 singles and 8 albums in 10 years.

Their most active time was between 2008-2012 where they had 18 releases, including 4 albums. My count is probably a little off, but they released 103 songs around that time.

It may not be as much as the bands listed here but it they were like a plague back then, needles to say the quality of most of those releases was mediocre/bad.

Edited by Platy

Would be interesting if someone could like investigate the opposite... Investigate which bands have been around the longest while barely releasing any new material and/or just subsisting on remakes of remakes of remakes, things like that

11 minutes ago, Tokage said:

Would be interesting if someone could like investigate the opposite... Investigate which bands have been around the longest while barely releasing any new material and/or just subsisting on remakes of remakes of remakes, things like that

Shit I have your answer. Chaos System easily 7 years 3 releases, 4 if you count monstropolis which was an unreleased demo. 

1 hour ago, Tokage said:

this is a good quEstion, iM trying to think of prolific, infaMoUs bands who aRe notable foR doing this, but my mind is drawing a blank

É