helcchi

Most prolific vk bands

14 minutes ago, herpes said:

this is a good quEstion, iM trying to think of prolific, infaMoUs bands who aRe notable foR doing this, but my mind is drawing a blank

As I already said Chaos System. 7 years 3 releases, 4 if you count monstropolis  and a grand total of  10 songs  that's 1 song per year. lol And their most active year was 2010 which was the same year they disbanded. lol They released 2 singles that year and 6 songs total. If it weren't for that they would only have released 4 songs.

Edited by sume7

1 minute ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

Phantasmagoria released 26 ~unique~ songs in the span of 6 years, which is an average of 4 and 1/3 songs a year.

Keep in mind, they also had 10 or so "albums" 

10 albums and 26 songs? Are you sure? Because that doesn't seem like it could add up. Are you calling singles albums.

Nope!! 

Their albums include:

-Splendor of Sanctuary

-Synthesis Songs

-subjective or ideal

-signs of fragment

-Requiem -Funeral Edition-

-Requiem -Floral Edition-

-No Imagination 

-Dejavu ~Sanctuary of Revival~

-Wailing Wall

10 minutes ago, sume7 said:

As I already said Chaos System. 7 years 3 releases, 4 if you count monstropolis  and a grand total of  10 songs  that's 1 song per year. lol And their most active year was 2010 which was the same year they disbanded. lol They released 2 singles that year and 6 songs total. If it weren't for that they would only have released 4 songs.

there was a code in that message hidden very very very subtlety hun!!

5 minutes ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

Nope!! 

Their albums include:

-Splendor of Sanctuary

-Synthesis Songs

-subjective or ideal

-signs of fragment

-Requiem -Funeral Edition-

-Requiem -Floral Edition-

-No Imagination 

-Dejavu ~Sanctuary of Revival~

-Wailing Wall

Damn really and only 26 original songs. Dafuq? A lot of remixes I guess then.

6 minutes ago, herpes said:

there was a code in that message hidden very very very subtlety hun!!

Oh lol emmurée. Just got that. lol But no I actually think that Chaos System were even less prolific.

4 hours ago, Tokage said:

Would be interesting if someone could like investigate the opposite... Investigate which bands have been around the longest while barely releasing any new material and/or just subsisting on remakes of remakes of remakes, things like that

Well Memento Mori and Kuroyuri To Kage are basically that. 

Memento Mori never focused on releasing singles (Or full albums) and have only 4 full singles, half of them having years in between releases, only one full album with barely 9 songs. (There was almost a 10th one named "Mosaic Jishukisei", but for some reason that never made it on their only full album) and 2 mini albums released a year apart. 

Then when they reformed into Kuroyuri To Kage, they only have one full album, 2 Mini Albums, and a few singles, and went silent for a long time until it was announced Koyomi and Mutsuki would be leaving, and Kuroyuri would be kicked from Ains. 

Memento Mori has only made 26 unique songs (Including their demo to Aka-On records, which they preformed live and have on live DVDs)

Kuroyuri so far has only 34 unique songs. 

10 hours ago, Tokage said:

Would be interesting if someone could like investigate the opposite... Investigate which bands have been around the longest while barely releasing any new material and/or just subsisting on remakes of remakes of remakes, things like that

Normally this would be counter-intuitive, as bands wouldn’t be able to survive in the cut-throat world of visual kei if they’re not pumping out a steady stream of releases periodically. This prompted me to remember that infamous article from 2010 exposing the vk industry:

TDR: In America, bands typically would tour to promote an album, but then work day-jobs the rest of the year, until they record another album. How about in [visual kei]. . .?

SATOH-SAN: No! They keep them busy all the time – because unlike America, 90% of the bands were just formed this year! They need exposure. They keep forming new bands out of old ones – the fans need novelty, I think. Also- why would a label release one album a year??? That is senseless.

TDR: So what is the alternative?  3 albums a year? Isn’t that hard for the one guy who has to write all the songs for 10 bands?

SATOH-SAN: No, no, no. Why sell one album when you can sell 6 ‘maxi-singles’ with two songs each? You can sell them throughout the year – at 1,500 yen each (almost the cost of a full album!). And then at the end of the year, you re-release all the singles with a couple of filler tracks, and call THAT the album. You just sold every song twice, and made about four times the money!

I won’t go into the finer details as this article warrants a thread of its own (again) but it’s an interesting read and a real eye-opener.

Edited by helcchi

I'm like 99% sure there actually IS a thread dedicated to that article floating around on here somewhere already, I remember it causing kind of a mild shitstorm back in the day at least.

Also my personal examples for ''bands who've been around for ages but barely release shit": Shinjuku Gewalt, Munimuni. Munimuni's been 'round since like 2005, so far they've only released like 1 full album, 2 live cds, and like 4 or 5 singles as far as I know. There's quite a bunch of tracks being recycled as well.

Shinjuku Gewalt I'm pretty sure has been around since like the '90s. They have ''officially'' (not counting possible turborarez floating around somewhere) only like somewhere between 30 and 40 songs, and I'm pretty sure it's less if you also eliminate cover songs

also lynch. has been releasing the same 5 or 6 songs over and over again for years now lol

Just did the math for LIPHLICH, ~93 unique songs (not counting remakes, acoustic versions etc, which they release by the dozen) for 7 years, or 13.2 per year. That's considering they didn't release anything in 2011 though, if we only count new songs since 2012, when their tempo picked up, it's ~81 songs for 5 years, or 16.2 per year.

B-T have ~259 songs for 30 years, not counting SEs and covers, or 8.6 songs per year, which is consistent with their steady tempo of releasing an album every 2 years. The fangirl's got to note that MERRY, who've been frustratingly unproductive these years, still score like 9.2 songs per year. MUCC should do better, but someone else should do the math for them.

Someone do lynch. so that whenever someone bitches about their release schedule we have some numbers for it.

1 hour ago, NICKT said:

Someone do lynch. so that whenever someone bitches about their release schedule we have some numbers for it.

lynch.

years: 11.5 years

unique songs: ≳120

time it takes to listen: 7.2 hours

productivity rate: 10 songs / year

6 hours ago, Tokage said:

also lynch. has been releasing the same 5 or 6 songs over and over again for years now lol

I thought that was deathgaze lol

Babylon released 66 unique songs in the span of 4.9 years, I think.

68 tracks if you want to include Teddy (which was a RusH cover) and the instrumental track from the suna no yuuutsu mini-album. Of course not counting the re-recordings and remixes.

They released like crazy all throughout 2004-2006.

Not sure how much time it'd take to listen to it all, don't have all their discography on my PC at the moment.

Also lol @ Phantasmagoria "No Imagination" album title, very fitting.

I think releasing so many songs in a year is not good. It takes its toll on the quality of their creation beacuse they are releasing material like a machine in a programmed time frame. No time for true inspiration and polishing.

Edited by seikun

On 12/12/2016 at 5:37 PM, Tokage said:

Investigate which bands have been around the longest while barely releasing any new material and/or just subsisting on remakes of remakes of remakes, things like tha

Isn't X Japan number one on this ranking?