aetarna

Visual Kei on Spotify Compilation

Because I have no life, here have a small list of visual kei artists available for listening over spotify. Some have full discographies some only few albums or singles. there are also instances on several artists from all over the world being grouped together on one page, because of shared name.

What is spotify? - to put it short, a digital music streaming service. It comes in two flavors - free with ads, and paid via subscription, with no ads and few useful perks. Sign up, log in, most likely download their application to your computer or mobile and you're set.  

Isn't that piracy? - no it's completly legal and artists and/or their label (we know how that goes...) are getting paid for each listen.

For the start I cut this list into two categories. First one is the bands that retain their japanese song tags even on spotify - for all purists who want their last.fm scrobbles accurate 

Amber Bullet

Angelo - mixed with different artists

Anli Policino

Annie's Black

Black Gene For the Next Scene - mixed tags

BUCK-TICK - region locked

Calmando Qual

Capella - mixed with different artists

Cløwd

CULT the Movie

D - ??? they used to have few albums, like Vampire Saga there, but it seems to be gone now. Perhaps region locked.

Daizy Stripper

Das:Vasser

Fixer - several different artists mixed together on that page

girugamesh - mixed tags

GOLDEN BOMBER

Gossip

GPKISM

Grieva - romanized name, but correct song tags

Insanity Injection

Kamijo

ラヴェーゼ (Labaiser)

La'veil MizeriA

Liv'ert

L-Lotus-

Lost Ash

lynch.

Luna Sea

Magistina Saga

Majolica

MirialD

Misaruka and their other profile ミサルカ

Miyavi

最上川司 (Momigawa Tsukasa)

NEU

Nightmare - some albums seems to have romanised tags

Nocturnal Bloodlust

NoGoD

nue  - mistagged nüe, also different nue releases on the same profile

Orochi

-OZ-

Rose Noire

砂月-SATSUKI-

Scarlet Valse

SCHWARZ KEIN (シュヴァルツカイン)

Sirene - mixed with different artist

Synk;yet

Suicide Ali - mixed tags

SUGIZO

the fool - mixed with different artists

The Sound Bee HD

the studs

Tokami

Under Fall Justice

VAMPS

Versaillies

Velvet Eden

vistlip

yazzmad

Zombie (ぞんび)

And now artist with no japanese tags

176BIZ

9GOATS BLACK OUT

ADAMS - mixed with different artist

Amber Gris - mixed with different artist

An Cafe

And - eccentric agent-

Awoi

Ayabie

Birushana

Blood - sharing profile with other Blood band

Chanty  - again, releases mixed with other artist of the same name

Chariots - 3rd era only

Creature Creature

Croix Allcine

DEAD END

DELUHI

D'espairsray

Diaura

Dio ~distraught overlord~

Dir en Grey

DISACODE

DIV

Dunkelheit

D=OUT

exist†trace

Gackt

glamscure

heidi.

Hizaki

I-ai-

Inoran

Inugami Circus Dan

Jilled Ray

JILLS BLUE ROSE

JokArt Au Legal

Kameleo

Kagerou

Kiryu - depending where you are, you might have two different kiryu's there

Lacroix Despheres

L'arc en Ciel

Lix.

LM.C

Luzmelt

Matenrou Opera

MARRY+AN+BLOOD

Megamasso

MERRY

Merveille Magique

MeteoroiD

MUCC

Otogadead

Pan-d-ra

Plastic Tree

R-shitei

RED universe

Rentrer en Soi

Rides in ReVellion

Sadie

Screw

Shiva - releases mixed with other artist of the same 

SID

SuG

Sukekiyo

THE GALLO  they also have another seemingly empty profile ギャロ

The GazettE

the riotts.

TRA TRA TRA

umbrella - mixed with different artists

UNITE.

Un=(xag)

UnsraW

Waive

Vallquar

Vaniru

Vidoll

Vivalet

XodiacK

ZIg+Zag

ZORO - mixed with different artists

V-Anime Rocks compilation

Obviously this is a work in progress not an absolute complete list.

Nice! So many bands aren't on spotify and it's hard to make a playlist. Will you be updating your list as the master post?

I've got some more, forgive me if there are any duplicates

176BIZ

Amber Bullet

Angelo - mixed with different artists

Annie's Black

Capella - mixed with different artists

Creature Creature

CULT the Movie

DEAD END

Dunkelheit

the fool - mixed with different artists

GOLDEN BOMBER

heidi.

Jilled Ray

JILLS BLUE ROSE

L-Lotus-

Lost Ash

MirialD

NEU

Orochi

Otogadead

RED universe

the riotts.

SUGIZO

umbrella - mixed with different artists

Un=(xag)

ZIg+Zag

ZORO - mixed with different artists

V-Anime Rocks compilation

Just realised most Starwave bands are on spotify, they're probably all there but I haven't searched them all

Edited by helcchi

Ohh I was thinking about making a thread like this! Good thing you did too, cause I just found out that a bunch of favorites are on there haha

One thing I would add is if there are regional limitations for artists. I remember Kamijo had a single on Spottyfly and then region locked it, then re-released it after his 20th anniversary album came out. From the few I've clicked through, it seems like that doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

One thing to note is that there are two artists named Kiryu on the "Kiryu" page, both are sort of visual-kei related. One is the colorful enka-metal one that releases a single every 4 hours, and the other is the solo project of someone who I cannot remember.

I'll add to this list as I find more examples.

Edited by Peace Heavy mk II

2 hours ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

One thing I would add is if there are regional limitations for artists. I remember Kamijo had a single on Spottyfly and then region locked it, then re-released it after his 20th anniversary album came out. From the few I've clicked through, it seems like that doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

One thing to note is that there are two artists named Kiryu on the "Kiryu" page, both are sort of visual-kei related. One is the colorful enka-metal one that releases a single every 4 hours, and the other is the solo project of someone who I cannot remember.

Good point! That's why I kept D on my list, even though all their releases disappeared both from their page and from favorited library - though I still have the songs on the playlists, just greyed out and inaccessible. Similarly with Kiryu, I'm only seeing one album from the single-every-4-hours-band.  For Kamijo I'm seeing 2 albums, one mini and two or three singles... also some Vampire Stories OST lol.

I'm wondering if I should add Dolly up there. I don't see any albums from vkei Dolly there, but a friend of mine said he listened them on spotify - if anyone can confirm their releases on the Dolly profile then I will add them.

Thanks everyone for more links, I've added them to the list!

15 minutes ago, aetarna said:

Good point! That's why I kept D on my list, even though all their releases disappeared both from their page and from favorited library - though I still have the songs on the playlists, just greyed out and inaccessible. Similarly with Kiryu, I'm only seeing one album from the single-every-4-hours-band.  For Kamijo I'm seeing 2 albums, one mini and two or three singles... also some Vampire Stories OST lol.

I'm wondering if I should add Dolly up there. I don't see any albums from vkei Dolly there, but a friend of mine said he listened them on spotify - if anyone can confirm their releases on the Dolly profile then I will add them.

Thanks everyone for more links, I've added them to the list!

tumblr_ohxg4faTI91ufu590o1_500.png

If you're seeing this release, this dude is the ~other~ Kiryu.

It's interesting how half of the new (largely non-VK) releases from Japan I see on Spotify are available and half locked / Japan only ("display locked tracks" setting switched on). Will be interesting to see how this develops, as labels might finally start to see where their tracks are actually played. I don't have hope for older releases making an worldwide appearance anytime soon though...

For anyone going back to Spotify after they opened their Japan branch: Check your Release Radar, which is a playlist that gets updated once a week, you'll be surprised by what turns up there!

Edited by thnd

37 minutes ago, thnd said:

/ Japan only ("display locked tracks" setting switched on).

how you do that?

btw almost everything what is available on itunes is also on spotify.

Edited by BrenGun

6 hours ago, DarkWater said:

how you do that?

Not sure if the mobile versions have it, but for the PC desktop version, go to Preferences (Strg+P) and scroll down, the last category should have a switch for it. Not sure about the English naming though, translated directly from German it would be something like "display unavailable tracks".

Edited by thnd

9 minutes ago, thnd said:

Not sure if the mobile versions have it, but for the PC desktop version, go to Preferences (Strg+P) and scroll down, the last category should have a switch for it. Not sure about the English naming though, translated directly from German it would be something like "display unavailable tracks".

I did check it and I did notice it that I found songs I bought at the itunes store which aren't available in spotify.

But I cannot find other music of other artist which isn't available in the itunes store of my country but available in japan. So I think it depends on your own bought music if you see display the hidden music or not. but that just what I notice. so if you didn't bought something in the store which isn't on spotify you don't know that it is HIDDEN.

because I also did check Acid Black Cherry, but I cannot SEE any album by a hidden artist. But I do see the tracks which I bought or which aren't in a playlist of a user and then some albums can be checked, but the artist should be inside a playlist of a japanese user.

On 11.12.2016 at 8:51 PM, DarkWater said:

I did check it and I did notice it that I found songs I bought at the itunes store which aren't available in spotify.

But I cannot find other music of other artist which isn't available in the itunes store of my country but available in japan. So I think it depends on your own bought music if you see display the hidden music or not. but that just what I notice. so if you didn't bought something in the store which isn't on spotify you don't know that it is HIDDEN.

because I also did check Acid Black Cherry, but I cannot SEE any album by a hidden artist. But I do see the tracks which I bought or which aren't in a playlist of a user and then some albums can be checked, but the artist should be inside a playlist of a japanese user.

Maybe your iTunes folder is being synced into Spotify as an offline (additional) resource? There's an option which allows you to do that which might sync with iTunes or some other stores. Not sure about that because I use a different player for my music files.

The option I was talking about allows you to see tracks added to Japanese playlists like J-Track Brand New https://open.spotify.com/user/spotifyjapan/playlist/0zA6ApbJ4AtcW9VaOGgFRJ                    

with ALL of the tracks showing. As this is an official, Japanese curated playlist, it has tons of tracks that appear greyed out (with the display switch on) or would not appear at all (with it set to off), as they are not available in my country. Take Marionette by BOOWY or the Pikotaro song (Sweets matomete hoshi ni nare) - both show up in the playlist but are unplayable for me, but when I click through to their profiles, these tracks aren't displayed at all. (Not sure what kind of business the BOOWY song has on a playlist collecting brand new hits though?!)

40 minutes ago, thnd said:

Maybe your iTunes folder is being synced into Spotify as an offline (additional) resource? There's an option which allows you to do that which might sync with iTunes or some other stores. Not sure about that because I use a different player for my music files.

The option I was talking about allows you to see tracks added to Japanese playlists like J-Track Brand New https://open.spotify.com/user/spotifyjapan/playlist/0zA6ApbJ4AtcW9VaOGgFRJ                    

with ALL of the tracks showing. As this is an official, Japanese curated playlist, it has tons of tracks that appear greyed out (with the display switch on) or would not appear at all (with it set to off), as they are not available in my country. Take Marionette by BOOWY or the Pikotaro song (Sweets matomete hoshi ni nare) - both show up in the playlist but are unplayable for me, but when I click through to their profiles, these tracks aren't displayed at all. (Not sure what kind of business the BOOWY song has on a playlist collecting brand new hits though?!)

Oh thanks for that tracklist link!

Yes, same for me.  I see also many gray tracks.

Thanks for the list! I've only stumbled over about a quarter of these bands on there on my own searching, so it's nice to know what all is available.

Found a couple more that this list was missing.

Anli Policino

BUCK-TICK

Cløwd

DISACODE (romanized tags)

Waive (only 1 album and romanized tags)

Edit:

Grieva was just added (romanized name, but correct song tags)

Edited by Peace Heavy mk II