Ito

25 Days of ChristMHas Discussion Thread - 2016

Don't see wagakki band on the list. How's @Zeus not rioting?

Too bad Kiryu didn't make on the list, it was a great album.

Quite amazed on the number of VK bands in that list.

Royz's is definitely banging with that album.

I enjoyed The Black Swan's quite well.

Buck-Tick and Gallo are amazing.

Still can't warp my head around on how Versailles put Masashi's bassline so far behind the other instruments. I can barely hear his bassline.

Overall, I enjoyed the list greatly. 

Edited by Spectralion

36 minutes ago, DarkWater said:

And actually next year I would prefer to see 2 lists of 25 days.

one list of 25 non visual and a list of 25 visual. :D

We do not have the manpower to do this, however cool of an idea it is. If we tried, both lists would suffer for it.

There were about five times during construction of the list when I thought I knew who the winner was going to be. DEZERT, BUCK-TICK, THE NOVEMBERS, and siraph each spent time at the top of the list uncontested before girugamesh swept them all away. And I mean swept. There wasn't anyone that even came close to contesting with them.

Just now, Spectralion said:

Don't see wagakki band on the list.

How's @Zeus not rioting?

We only count mini albums and full albums, not single releases. They only released two singles this year.

3 minutes ago, Zeus said:

We only count mini albums and full albums, not single releases. They only released two singles this year.

Oh, I'm sorry. I forget that Yasouemaki was released last year. 

I do not think it is quite unusual that my own favourite albums of this year do not correlate with those of the majority of users on the forum, and I am therefore not all that much surprised that I cannot find any more than two front-runners out of my own personal lineup on the staff's ending list. Those are BUCK-TICK's "アトム 未来派 No.9" and KEEL's "Raison d'être et de sang", and out of those two, only the former has made it to my very top tally of the year. 

The majority of these twenty-five are artists I am either not familiar with, or simply do not enjoy, and there are a sparse nine releases on here that I have personally heard, and three of those I could not be entertained by at all in 2016, (DEZERT, ザアザア and …。【サイレンス】) where previously I did enjoy their works. I can understand that composing such a list requires a lot of work, but with so many differences in tastes it is of course difficult to please every other soul. Another good job, however — and I am looking forward to what 2017 offers.

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

We do not have the manpower to do this, however cool of an idea it is. If we tried, both lists would suffer for it.

too bad, but if it can get a split someday... it would be great.

anyway then I simple hope to see a list of vkei bands who are also great but 100% not everyones favorite.

some nice bands really relesse some cool albums and mini albums this year.

I do miss paracore, vkbrutamcore and hirokicore bands!!  (^_-)≡★

however still nice list, only its not a big surprise for exeption the non visual, that part always variate a lot.

yeah this year's list had a lot more VK on it then past years i believe.... most likely due to ORZ involvement in the voting process, since a lot of ORZ members are big into VK while a lot of the staff are non-vk heads (like me). but I'd like to think it made the list more balanced although not really my ideal EOTY list xD

37 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

yeah this year's list had a lot more VK on it then past years i believe.... most likely due to ORZ involvement in the voting process, since a lot of ORZ members are big into VK while a lot of the staff are non-vk heads (like me). but I'd like to think it made the list more balanced although not really my ideal EOTY list xD

It was a nice balanced list (^_^)

Lord @Ito has asked for feedback, and thus it shall be given.

I think I've mentioned in the past that I'm not too fond of making best-of lists where there's an arbitrary number of entries (top 10, top 25, etc) because it creates situations where you can find yourself adding releases that probably aren't great per se, but are simply needed to make up the numbers. In that sense some of the recommendations I'll make here for releases that weren't featured in this list aren't necessarily ones that I consider to be amazing by any means, but I'd at least say they're as deserving of a mention as a Versailles best-of album of all things. I'll also just take a moment to mention that even though the format isn't something I'm personally a fan of, I appreciate the effort the staff put into the whole thing each year, and I accept that the 25 releases thing is just a play on the whole 25 days of Christmas thing anyway so it's not a big deal by any means. 

Anyway, both cloud nine(9) and LITE probably could have had mentions for their respective full-lengths this year. Neither are Earth-shattering by any means, but they're both fairly decent math albums. I'll also give a shout out to Hiromi Uehara's SPARK; it is more of the same from her but when you're as proficient as Hiromi's trio that's honestly all it needs to be to be one of the strongest releases in any given year. I suppose it came out too late for the staff to have added it to the list (a downside of rushing lists out too early, I suppose), but JYOCHO's debut mini really should get a mention too, it's essentially 宇宙コンビニ but even better. On the electronic/IDM side, M-KODA put out a really nice album earlier this year, as did newcomer (or at least I think he's new, lol) 網守将平 earlier this month. If we're including singles then I quite liked Lycoriscoris' release also. 

To be honest though, for me personally 2016 was mostly a year where non-Japanese bands tended to stand out to me more than Japanese ones; though there were a few really noticeable Japanese highlights such as downy and siraph's output - both of which ranked pretty highly here so I'm certainly not complaining ;)